Strawberry "Pink" Milk- an easy treat for Valentine's Day

That's exactly what happened when we first read I Am Not Sleepy and I Won't Go To Bed, one of the books in Lauren Child's awesome Charlie and Lola series. For the next few days, all Chloe asked for to drink was Strawberry Milk, which is Lola's favorite. I wanted to get some, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of buying what passes as pink milk at the grocery -- milk mixed with lots of sugar and food dyes. Instead, Chloe and I came up with this recipe.

Simple, creamy and above all....PINK (which makes Chloe endlessly happy), this is one of those simple recipes which we'll most definitely be making again this Valentine's Day while we're curled up on the rug reading Charlie and Lola (and a lot of our other favorite books) and thinking up new recipes based on whatever we find in the pages!

Strawberry Pink Milk  (Serves 2)

Chloe could read books all day long, so we spend a lot of time in her room plowing through stacks of them. Often when there's a picture or mention of food in a book she loves, Chloe becomes intent on having some for herself. That's exactly what...

• 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, defrosted
  • 1 tablespoon honey, agave nectar or sugar (you can use more or less depending on the sweetness of the berries)

1. 1. Place the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Strawberry Pink Milk

Comments

1. Danielle Spears

August 14, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Oh my gosh, I’m so excited to try this. My oldest son and daughter love strawberry milk, but i hate the bottle strawberry sauce and the last strawberry syrup was not for milk. Thank you so much, I do think I’ll make this tomorrow morning.

2. Jocelyn

August 12, 2013 at 9:54 am

Could I make nlueberry milk instead?

August 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

Blueberry milk doesn’t really work because of the way the acid from the blueberries interacts with the milk. It sort of curdles it! So stick with the strawberries!

3. Nicole

September 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Oh, and I added a tablespoon of Chia seeds as well.

4. Nicole

September 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

What a great idea! My boys loved it. I really love that you have great recipes that are easy and healthy. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource!

5. Lee Anne Lasky

August 20, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I came across this, and thought of you! Pink milk and the story have become my daughter’s absolute favorites!!! Thank you so that! http://www.clevercharlotte.com/2012/06/lola-pajama-pillow/

6. Gina

July 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

This was a hit with one of my boys who loved it – we use soy or almond milk. Do you know if this stores well if I ,make a bigger batch or will it settle funny? I’d really would love to know since my son has now decided not to drink just plain soy or almond milk whenever I serve it – which is with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

7. Pingback: Pink Milk « mindy's musings

8. Mindy

February 23, 2012 at 1:04 am

I didn’t get a chance to make this for Valentines day, but it was a life saver while scrambling around the kitchen looking for a treat for my twin girls. I threw in some almond milk, frozen organic strawberries, silken tofu, and organic vanilla yogurt for sweetness in to my blender. Turned out great! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

9. Pingback: Pink Milk « mindy's musings

10. Katherine

February 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I’ve had a nearly identical scenario with my 4 yr old wanting pink milk and me trying to find a healthy alternative to the shelf stuff in the grocery store. I have made this with fresh and frozen strawberries, but I’ve also used freeze-dried strawberries from Trader Joes (no sugar or sulphur added), with honey and I must say, I like it better! It’s still just as healthy and shelf stable. Just wanted to share.

11. Beck R.

February 16, 2012 at 11:32 pm

My daughter & I made this with almond milk & stevia for a quick dessert tonight. Yum!

12. Nicole C.

February 15, 2012 at 10:28 am

I made this to accompany our special Valentine’s meal and my son just adored it. I love giving him something that makes him feel special and I feel good giving to him. Super easy too!

13. Marishannon Bakr

February 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I’ve made this before – yummy!

14. Paula @ All Things Moms

February 14, 2012 at 6:45 pm

What a cute idea! Great way to use the strawberries left over from my cupcakes Thanks!!

15. Paula

February 14, 2012 at 6:44 pm

What a cute idea! Great way to use the strawberries left over from my cupcakes :) Thanks!!

16. Pingback: Menu plan–February week 3 « Behind the [Kate]Ball

17. Leah

February 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm

My kids LOVED this with Coconut Milk, Organic Strawberries and Honey

18. Cathy

February 14, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Just made this with my son. Very tasty! He loved it! We watched your video and he asked if he could watch Chloe again!

19. Kathy

February 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

Made this w/ my 4 year old this morning. She was in heaven, it’s her very first pink milk! Used soy milk, organic strawberries, and agave. Thanks!

20. Naomi

February 14, 2012 at 11:04 am

I made something like this yesterday for my girls, except I added very ripe bananas to the mix. They slurped it down in seconds!

21. Vicki

February 14, 2012 at 11:00 am

Made this morning. Yummy!

22. Celeste o

February 14, 2012 at 10:37 am

Sounds yummy. I am going to have to make some for my kids. My daughter loves the Charlie and Lola books too.

23. tracy

February 14, 2012 at 9:19 am

I am going to do this vegan with almond milk. A great Valentine treat.

February 14, 2012 at 11:14 am

Great idea. The recipe works perfectly with almond, rice and soy milk too!

24. Christine

February 14, 2012 at 8:37 am

I just made this. Delicious! Great way to use fresh strawberries before they turn. My 14 month old drank almost the whole cup without taking a break. I love the addition of honey. I wish I made more for myself! Yum!

25. Katie | Healthnut Foodie

February 14, 2012 at 8:34 am

Fun! We love homemade flavored milks! Will definitely check out these books!