Hawaiian Pizza Pockets

On Valentine's Day I helped make friendship pizza with Kenya's class. The idea of making friendship pizzas are similar to making Quilt Pizza. Kenya's teachers loved the idea of expressing the spirt of the holiday to the kids by having them work together to make their lunch -- allowing each child to individually express himself but as part of a group.

The kids were so excited and it was hilarious to watch how intensely they got into the activity. They worked together as a team, hitting, beating, tearing, whacking and (occasionally) mangling the pizza dough. They topped it with plenty of sauce and cheese before each child finally got to personalize his or her section with the toppings of their choice.

Among the various toppings I brought was pineapple chunks. The kids looked confused as to why there was a bowl of fruit sitting alongside the sliced the mushrooms, peppers, olives and other toppings they were more used to seeing on pizza. I explained that when you put ham and pineapple on a pizza it's called Hawaiian Pizza. That made them roar with laughter. I'm not exactly sure why they found that so funny, but their laughter was so infectious I couldn't help but join in with them.

When I returned to work that day, I was inspired to make this recipe which, in addition to it's apparently highly amusing name, is really fun to make with kids….and even better to eat!

Hawaiian Pizza Pockets  (Serves 4)

• 1 pound pizza dough, brought to room temperature (homemade or store bought works great)
  • 1/2 cup pizza or tomato sauce
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped pineapple
  • 1/4 cup chopped ham
  • olive oil

1. 1. Preheat oven to 450° F.
  2. 2. Divide dough into 8 even pieces. Roll out each piece into a rectangle (approx. 6 x 6 inches).
  3. 3. Combine the sauce, cheese, ham and pineapple into a bowl and divide into 8 portions for each pizza pocket.
  4. 4. Place one portion of cheese mixture on one half of a rectangle. Repeat with the other 7 pieces of dough.
  5. 5. Fold the uncovered piece of dough over the cheese mixture and press the edges to seal and form a square.*
  6. 6. Place pockets on a baking sheet, lightly brush the tops with olive oil and bake for 18 minutes.
  8. * To freeze after this step, place pockets on a sheet pan and in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove and place in Ziploc bags, label and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, follow steps 6-7 adding an extra 3 minutes to the baking time.
Hawaiian Pizza Pockets

Comments

1. Amy S

August 5, 2013 at 11:01 am

Can you freeze these after they are cooked and just reheat after defrosted? I’m looking for ready to make meals for my husband to take on the road with him for his job so he doesn’t have to eat out all the time.

August 5, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Yes I think that would work just fine!

• Amy S

August 6, 2013 at 8:54 am

Thank you! I was wondering if anyone had tried that before :)

2. shannon

February 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I happened to have two packets of Trader Joe’s whole wheat pizza dough in my fridge last night when I saw this recipe. I made mine a veggie version with finely diced mushrooms, spinach and cheese. My husband and 4 year old loved them. I also followed your directions for freezing them. We ate 8 and froze 8. Perfect for a quick and healthy dinner for my daughter on the fly! Thanks for the fun idea.

3. Amber

February 16, 2012 at 7:46 pm

This sounds great! What kind of ham would you use?

February 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

You can use any kind of thick ham that you can cut into chunks. I like going to my butcher and seeing what he recommends or has on hand.

4. Sherry

February 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm

YUM! What a great alternative to the traditional pepperoni/cheese pizza. We’ll be making this within the week, looking forward to it. Pinned it on Pinterest too, so that way I won’t forget about it!

5. Melissa

February 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Hi Catherine, Thanks for another fantastic recipe! When using your Whole Wee-Eat pizza Dough, is this using 1/4 of the recipe (or one disk?)

February 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm

This would be the full recipe of the Whole Wee-eat Pizza Dough! That will make 8 Pizza Pockets!

• Melissa

February 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thank you!

6. yeni

February 16, 2012 at 9:42 am

I was gonna make your spinach calzone tonight, but this sounds like a great option. My boy is not a big fan of fruit, but he may like it this way since he loves anything in dough. I think I’ll make both tonight! Thanks for the recipe.

7. Karen

February 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

If you made it as 4 pizza pockets instead of 8, would the cooking time change? Thanks – can’t wait to try!

8. Holly

February 16, 2012 at 8:40 am

Hawaiian pizza is ubiquitous in California where I grew up, but here on the East Coast where I now live, it’s considered heresy. It took a while to convert my New Yorker husband to it but he also loves it now. But, he won’t order it out here for fear he might get lynched! :-)

Will have to try this out. Yum!