Carrot Ginger Sauce

When it comes to my kids, if they're offered rice or pasta they pretty much could care less what its mixed with. But when I served this Carrot Ginger Sauce tossed with long strands of noodles they were dubious. What was this "orange pasta" sitting on their plates?

That initial skepticism changed almost immediately after their first bites. With sweetness from the carrots, salty flavor from the miso and nuttiness from the tahini, they were so hooked by the incredible taste, I think they're going to start paying a lot more attention to what's on their pasta and rice from now on!

Carrot Ginger Sauce  (1 cup )

• 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
  • 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons miso
  • 1 tablespoon tahini
  • 2 tablespoons water

1. 1. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
  2. 2. Add garlic and sauté until soft, about 30 seconds.
  3. 3. Add ginger and carrots.
  4. 4. Cover and cook until carrots are soft, about 15 minutes.
  5. 5. Transfer to a food processor and add the miso, tahini and water.
  6. 6. Puree until smooth.
  7. 7. Serve tossed with pasta, soba, udon noodles or rice.
  8. * Stays fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.

Accompaniments: Soba Noodles, Brown Rice, Pasta

Carrot Ginger Sauce

Comments

1. Alex

June 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Any idea how much 4 medium carrots equals? Ballpark in cups or oz. I used a bag of baby carrots and had to add a lot more ingredients to adjust for taste. Had no idea how many carrots to use!

2. alamberti

December 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

This is delicious! I hope to report back that my daughter will eat it as well.

3. Jenny

June 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Hi! I have been drooling over this recipe for weeks now and hoping my 2 yr old will like it. The only miso I have been able to find was the Minute Miso in a bottle made by Hikari Miso. Will that work with the same measurements? =/ Thank you in advance!!!

June 17, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hmm I haven’t heard of that before. Is it a powder? I would mix it with water per the package directions and then use the measurement of the paste called for in the recipe.

• David

August 15, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I saw your response saying the measurement of Miso is for a paste. Which miso paste do you use?

4. Nicolette Pink

April 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm

What color miso do you use? I believe there is brown, white and yellow? I could be wrong :)

April 29, 2013 at 11:57 am

White or Yellow! The brown (or red) miso would be too strong in this, I think!

5. neelum

April 12, 2013 at 8:58 pm

hye wanna give u a suggestion when u give a recipe for kids plz make its video :-)

6. levijel

April 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm

This was terrific. Everyone ate it – ages 14 down to 5. Thank you!

7. Hannah Brown

March 28, 2013 at 6:22 pm

My 2 year old daughter is coeliac and can’t have miso. Just wondered if you could suggest an alternative ingredient that I could substitute it with as this sounds delicious!

March 29, 2013 at 10:13 am

There is really no substitute for miso as it is such a unique flavor! You could try using maybe tahini instead? That would still provide the nutty flavor!

8. Diedre

March 13, 2013 at 8:20 pm

So frustrated. Tried this with my 2 toddler boys and they did not like it. Can not seem to get my 3 yo old to eat any vegetables (pureed, plain, with dip, etc). Oh well, it was good on my pasta.

9. Rhonda Price

March 6, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Love the recipes.

10. cbm

February 27, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Hi! Made this tonight and my 14 mth old loved it! Hooray! Can you freeze this sauce? Wasn’t sure b/c of the miso. Thanks!

February 28, 2013 at 11:30 am

Yes! This sauce freezes beautifully! It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Either defrost in the fridge or in a saucepan over medium heat!

11. mkk

January 27, 2013 at 8:51 am

Has anyone tried freezing this sauce?

12. Diana @ Eating Made Easy

December 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Such interesting flavors in this sauce. Looks great paired with angel hair pasta too. Def on next weeks menu!

13. Amy

October 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Awesome awesome recipe!

14. Lynnedays

September 3, 2012 at 7:56 am

I really liked this – easy and nice way to get veggies into kids who still bulk at them in their original form (like my son). He is a super picky eater though and wouldnt’even try it (still going through a fear of new foods) – but my younger daughter loved it! I really had to add alot more water though to get the smooth consistency I wanted…but I liked the soft asian taste this had – perfect for kids.

15. Azure

July 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

My whole family, including my 18 month old, my husband, and my sister (who remarked as she watched me prepare it, “Ew, miso paste?”) LOVED it! I found that I had to add a whole lot more water than the recipe called for, though, and a bit of salt, too.

16. J

July 4, 2012 at 6:12 am

Dd (22 mo) ate 3 servings last night! I didn’t use miso…just added olive oil and more salt. A big hit!

17. mommyagot

May 4, 2012 at 1:48 am

Hi Catherine, my son is allergic to nuts and soy. Can you pls. give other suggestions? i love this recipe because my son loves to eat carrots. Thanks!!

May 7, 2012 at 11:47 am

You can leave them out altogether and add a pinch of salt to enhance the flavor of the remaining ingredients! The miso and tahini add saltiness and a nutty flavor that is pretty unique and difficult to substitute if you can’t use a different nut product.

18. Krista

April 4, 2012 at 7:46 am

Any tips for keeping the garlic from getting too brown/burning since it’s the first thing in the pan?

April 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Make sure your heat is medium, not too hot. And you only saute the garlic for 30 seconds before adding everything else!

19. Clara

March 30, 2012 at 9:20 pm

My husband and two and a half year old loved this , and so did I. I served it with whole wheat spaghetti, broccoli and shelled edamame. My husband liked this a lot better than a peanut/tahini/ ginger sauce I usually make. We thought next time we’ll make it more substantial by serving it with shrimp or baked tofu. For those looking for miso paste, it’s in the refrigerated section, sometimes with the tofu. It’s awesome for soups thrown together at the last minute with whatever veggies you have in the fridge and those last strands of spaghetti in your box.

20. Pingback: Five Friday Finds :: Morsels of Life

21. Judy

March 22, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I haven’t been able to find miso in the two supermarkets I shop in. Is there anything I could substitute for the miso? Also, is hummus tahini the same thing as tahini?

BTW, both my grandson who’s 14 months old and my daughter are addicted to the zucchini-broccoli pancakes!

March 23, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Trader Joe’s carries miso! Miso is such a unique flavor there isn’t really a good substitute.

Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds. If the “hummus tahini” is just that then it is fine. If it lists garbanzo beans or any other flavorings on the label then it is not the same thing. Sometimes it is labeled “tehina” in the Kosher section of the grocery.

22. Elodie

March 18, 2012 at 7:39 am

We tried this today (without the miso and we replaced garlic with shallots): it’s really easy and the results was just perfect!

23. Sophie

March 18, 2012 at 4:16 am

Hi Catherine,

In the picture, the carrot doesn’t look chopped. Do you put it in the food processor?
    Thanks!

March 19, 2012 at 11:25 am

Oh those carrots in the background of the photo are just for a pretty decoration! I do roughly chop the carrots before cooking. No need to use the food processor since its just a quick rough chop with the Chef’s Knife! :)

24. CJ @ Morsels of Life

March 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’m a fan of these recipes where it’s easy and tasty eats! I’ll have to give this a try. :)

25. @HilaryFleming

March 16, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Catherine, I made this for my family as well as your “No work Chicken” and my family loved it. My husband seriously wouldn’t shut up about the chicken. As for the carrot ginger sauce, I loved the consistency with the noodles. I added some Gomasio seasoning on the top and roasted some Turkey-veggie meatballs (ground turkey with shredded zucchini, shredded carrot, diced red pepper, shallots and garlic. Then I seasoned the meat with Bragg liquid aminos, garlic, and cumin. The result was a a sweet and nutty Asian infusion and a huge hit with the family. Then I added a sweet chili sauce mixed with soy sauce to dip the meat/noodle combo (because the carrot-ginger sauce wasnt too runny and my son is a “dipper”) and it was kind of amazing. I think the whole meal took me less than 30 minutes. Thanks for the meal inspiration. This will definitely be in my bi-weekly rotation from here on out. :)

26. Renee

March 14, 2012 at 11:33 pm

My son is not allergic to tomatoes, but they are just too acidic for him so we don’t eat tomato sauce. I use pesto a lot and garlic cream, but this will be another great alternative. Thanks!

27. Naomi

March 14, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Diana, we always buy Organic Miso Master brand. If you want a softer miso flavor, you can get barley, chickpea or mellow white miso – the red kinds are a bit more deeply flavored.
    I’m making this sauce right now and am adding additional carrots to cut the intensity. I plan to serve it over tofu and quinoa for lunch tomorrow! Tofu is my 17 month olds favorite food but sometimes I want to add something extra…. hope this works!

28. Diana

March 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I love the carrot-ginger salad dressings served at Japanese restaurants – this reminds me of those (not sure if the ingredients are the same) !

Can anyone recommend a good brand of miso and where to buy it? Also which color? I got one at Ranch99 that was so salty and icky I have avoided miso ever since. But I love restaurant items made with miso so I must’ve bought the wrong stuff.

29. Lorelei

March 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Laura, I think you are on to something. I followed the recipe and it was good, but something was not quite right. My daughter ate about half of what she normally eats, so she did not devour it. I was thinking that perhaps some peanut butter would make it a bit sweeter. I love the idea of crushed peanuts on top. So I might go half and half with tahini and peanut butter next time.

I was also wondering about the Miso. There were four different flavors to choose from at my coop. I don’t cook with Miso often, so perhaps the Miso I chose changed the flavor a bit.

Either way, I am adding the recipe to my arsenal and will tweak it here and there. I love alternative sauces for rice and pasta.

30. Rosa

March 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Does the sauce freeze well?

31. Laura

March 14, 2012 at 11:09 am

Made this for the kiddos today, ALL THREE LOVED IT!!! Its not easy to please two 2 yr olds and a 4 year old with the same meal…Happened to be out of tahini and miso, so I used natural peanut butter, sesame oil, and a tiny bit of soy sauce. I added chopped peanuts to the top too for an extra kick of protein. Thank you!

32. JAG

March 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

I was wondering the same… A substitution for the tahini would be great!

March 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Any kind of nut butter would work as a replacement for the tahini!

33. Jolene (Homespun Heritage)

March 14, 2012 at 7:19 am

Awww…I really wanted to try this but its got two of my kiddo’s top allergens (soy and sesame)….any substitutions for those ingredients?

March 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

Any kind of nut butter would work! The flavor will be slightly different depending on which nut butter you use, but it will still be yummy!

• Tina

March 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I don’t usually ask, but it seems like this time the tahini is an integral part of the recipe. My daughter is allergic to all nuts, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. Can I simply leave that part out or do you think it would even be worth it to make it that way? Could I just up the amount of miso?

March 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Upping the amount of miso would definitely ensure full flavor! If you cannot use any nut or seed products that sounds to me like the best approach!

• Tina

March 14, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thanks for the help! I really want to try it. It looks like something we’d all love. :)