Summertime may be about all about BBQ, but when you're a mom, it's equally all about potlucks. The last two weeks of school this year we had seven potluck events in just two weeks. Yes, seven. That meant I had to cook seven times for 20+ people. Somebody save me.
The challenge of potlucks is coming up with a dish that both parents and kids alike will enjoy. Since I always tend to see a lot of the same things at potlucks I wanted to come up with a hearty casserole that would distinguish itself from the pizzas, pasta salads and chocolate chip cookies while also hopefully be interesting enough to lure my kids over to eat instead of going wild with their friends.
Being an obsessive chicken fajita fan and having two kids who could live on chips and salsa, I decided to marry all of our favorites in this Chicken Fajita Casserole. It has plenty of yummy vegetables and chicken blended with a mild tomatillo salsa and creamy sour cream sauce which soaks into the chips, making the whole dish irresistible.
So the next time you hear "potluck", don't worry about what to make. This casserole is the answer to your problems!
Potluck Chicken Fajita Casserole (serves 12-15)
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange or green), sliced
- 1 16-ounce bag tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 12-ounce jars salsa verde or tomatillo salsa
- 3/4 cup sour cream (low fat or regular)
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and sauté for 5-6 minutes, or until they just begin to soften.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the salsa verde and sour cream.
3. In a 13 x 9 baking dish, create layers with half of the tortilla chips, onion mixture, chicken, cheese and salsa verde sauce. Top with another layer using the remaining tortilla chips, onion mixture, and salsa verde. Top with the remaining cheese.
4. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
5. Cool and serve.