These Mexican Pizza Pockets are for those of us who can’t quite decide what kind of food we’re in the mood for for dinner or lunch. How about combining two favorites to make something extra special and super fun?!
Did you ever eat microwaveable pizza pockets growing up? You know the ones. Filled with different kinds of pizza toppings and cheese and after you pulled them out of the microwave it was a gamble on whether or not the entire center was warmed through? You’d maybe burn your mouth to bits in one bite and then the next was freezing cold. Don’t ask me why, but that’s my main pizza pocket memory. That and never quite knowing exactly what was inside them.
With that said, they were still one of my favorites as a kid. I’m always out to create recipes for my kids that remind me of growing up so I wanted to take a go at pizza pockets but with a twist. My kids love both Mexican food and pizza, so these Mexican Pizza Pockets are a super fun way to combine both! They’re filled with shredded chicken, beans, salsa and tons of cheese and then wrapped in pizza dough. My kids LOVED them!
But don’t let me limit your creativity. Fill them to the brim with any other Mexican flavors you love or whatever you might have sitting in your fridge that you think would work. Dip them in a side of salsa or sour cream if you want. I made these for dinner one night and even put a few in the kids lunch the next day (yes, they’re also yummy at room temperature) and all of their lunch boxes returned empty.
If you’re looking for more fun ways to make pizza try three of my favorites – Quilt Pizza, Pizza Pinwheels and Pizza Balls. Your kids will be beyond stoked! As always, let me know what you think of these Mexican Pizza Pockets and tag me on social media if you make them!
Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Divide the pizza dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece to a 6×6 inch rectangle.
- In a bowl, combine the chicken, beans, cheese, and salsa, and stir to combine well.
- Spoon filling onto one half of each dough rectangle, fold dough in half over the filling, and using a fork press the edges to seal.
- Place pizza pockets on a greased baking sheet, brush with oil and bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.