Cookies for Breakfast! Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Video

We generally go through a bunch of bananas every few days. Then, of course, there are the occasional periods when they sit untouched and before I know it we have a bowl full of spotty bananas.

Wasting food kinda drives me nuts, so turning overripe bananas into a naturally sweet dessert my whole family loves -- like these Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies -- makes this mom very happy. The best part about these cookies is that they are gluten free, vegan (if you use dairy free chocolate chips) and a great choice for breakfast. That's right, breakfast!

Watch this video to watch how simple it is to make your new favorite cookie and you won't believe how excited you'll be the next time you have spotty bananas!

Comments

1. Dawn

September 4, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I am FOREVER trying to find ways of using up bananas – and who doesn’t love cookies for breakfast! Thanks for posting this – can’t wait to try more of your delicious recipes!

2. Brndae

August 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hello from Cancun, Mexico… I have prepared many of your reciprs, andlet me. Tell you, they are fantastic specially for my two little children, thank you so much…

3. Amanda

April 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Love, love, love these cookies. Thank you for the great recipe! My kids devoured them!

4. ultimatezinc

March 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

These are yummy. I keep them in the freezer and when I really feel like a treat or just a easy snack I can just grab one. My 1 year old likes them and will sit in her high chair and eat it for a long time giving me a break. I didn’t have dates so I just used raisins. I’ve done them with raisins craisins and just a little bit of chocolate chips and they are delicious.

5. lindaJasmine

August 8, 2012 at 4:12 am

Can I bake these cookies in the microwave ? Do I need to alter the qty?

August 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

I think you could! They will probably dry out a little more, but that sounds like a cool idea!

6. jennifer h.

August 7, 2012 at 1:25 am

anything you can use in place of the dates? I have all these ingredients in my house except for the dates :(

August 7, 2012 at 11:48 am

The dates are essential, actually, because they hold the cookies together (and add natural sweetness)!

7. Melissa

August 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. My daughter is 19 months old and has basically grown up with your recipes. This is the first time she has eaten a “cookie.” My husband I are teaching her healthy eating and that cookies are not a food group. I am thrilled to be able to offer her these as an alternative. Now when she walks up to me and says, “Cookie?” I smile and give the lady what she wants (:

8. Lisa

August 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

I was just looking at the spotty bananas on my counter … perfect timing! Plus I’m always looking for something quick to eat on the go in the morning with my girls so it will be nice to have this as an option … and they don’t need to know they’re good for you! :)

9. Kate

August 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Always looking for ideas to use up my brown bananas. I usually throw them in the freezer until I have time to do something with them. Here’s another great idea!

10. Lisa | With Style and Grace

August 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

i make something similar and they’re the best! of course, cookies for breakfast, how could you go wrong :)

11. Gaby

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 pm

cookies for breakfast? you’re speaking my language lady!!

12. Aindrea

August 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I can’t get over how cute Chloe is! I’m trying this recipe now, since by coincidence we had some spotty bananas! Instead of chocolate chip, I used what we refer to as a, “baking mix.” Which consists of a mixture of dried fruits, nuts, and chocolate chips. I use it in muffins, granola bars, cookies, etc. I’m sure it will turn out great! Quick question, why the dates? Is it for retaining moisture?

August 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

The dates add natural sweetness and help everything stick together!

13. Astrid

August 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Love the recipe! Will try them tomorrow with my baby girl! Thanks

14. Kristen

July 31, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks for the great video! What is the purpose of waiting 10 minutes before scooping the “dough”?

August 1, 2012 at 11:06 am

Letting it sit allows the oats to absorb all the moisture and makes the dough hold together better!

15. Esteban

July 31, 2012 at 4:36 pm

This is from his wife, who was diagnosed with celiac after pregnancy #1. these are by far the BEST gluten free baked goods I have eaten!! I have made a lot of GF goods, and nothing I has been this good! Thank you so much for this recipe. I won’t talk about how many I’ve eaten, I’ll just say they are a great treat for baby #3, who is still in utero. :) thank you once again for amazing food. Quick question, what else do people use dates for? Yumm

July 31, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Wow thank you so much! Dates are a wonderful sweetener in baked goods, and an addition to trail mix!

16. Amber

July 31, 2012 at 1:00 pm

This may be a silly question, but do you freeze them before or after cooking?

• Amit

February 4, 2014 at 8:23 pm

The abtliiy to think like that is always a joy to behold

July 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm

After cooking :) I love eating them straight from the freezer!

17. Tanja

July 31, 2012 at 9:02 am

Because you posted this recipe 2 years ago and I haven’t been following you for that long I would have missed it. That’s why thank you so much for this video, will try it. Love, T.

18. michelle

July 31, 2012 at 8:12 am

I make these cookies all the time. We LOVE them!!! So easy to make and such simple ingredients. I use coconut oil and it gives them a really nice taste. You are right Catherine…they do taste amazing right out of the freezer!

19. Christa

July 31, 2012 at 8:07 am

I can’t get the sound to work on my laptop so missed what the temp and time should be to cook these cookies- can you please tell what they are? Thanks

20. Ruth

July 31, 2012 at 7:56 am

What is the best way to store these (short-term)? I made them this weekend and put the leftovers in a ziplock bag for daycare and a plastic storage container for us, and both batches quickly became soft and crumbled. They were fully cooled when I put them in the containers.