Brainy Breakfast

My kids are now into almost any food that makes them feel smart or strong. For example, if I put something like roast carrots on their plates and they linger uneaten, all I have to say is, "they'll help you see better," and they're gobbled up in a jiff.

All too often, kids (and many adults) aren't aware of the important health benefits certain foods offer their bodies and minds. Yet when we start to understand the positive effects different foods have on our bodies, we tend to make better choices, and in many ways, start to enjoy eating more.

We're big Greek yogurt eaters in my house. Greek yogurt is packed with protein, calcium and most contain natural probiotics which are great for our digestive health and can even boost our immune systems. Combine it with two other super foods like blueberries and walnuts, omega-3 and fiber-packed flax seeds, and a few other naturally sweet ingredients like apples and honey and you've got a true power breakfast that will give your body and mind a big boost first thing in the morning -- when you need it most.

How smart do you feel now knowing that?

Brainy Breakfast  (serves 2)

• 1 cup greek yogurt (0 or 2 %)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 small apple, cored and chopped
  • 1/2 cup mixed berries
  • 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons flax seeds (ground or whole)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. 1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Brainy Breakfast

Comments

1. Pingback: Strawberry Mango Chia Smoothie Recipe - The Lemon Bowl

2. Pingback: Crunchy Topped Blueberry White Chocolate Muffins | Dishin & Dishes

3. dawnpolk

September 9, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I don’t have a little one old enough for this yet but it has become MY personal favorite over the last week. A perfect combo of favors and textures! Yummy!

4. Pingback: A “Down Under” BBQ & Blueberry Limoncello Pavlova • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

5. Pingback: Paletas de Fresa y Aguacate | Sweet Life

6. Pingback: Gingered Blueberry Shortcakes with Light Creamy Topping Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

7. Pingback: Triple Berry Ice Cream |

8. Pingback: Gluten-Free Is Me: Blueberry-Almond Pancakes | Feed Me Phoebe

9. Pingback: Strawberry Peach Cobbler Recipe

10. Hima

June 3, 2013 at 11:44 am

nice looks yummy!!

11. Lori B.

March 10, 2013 at 8:15 pm

We too are big greek yogurt eaters. I buy the large plain containers and dish out everyone a bowl. I keep a small canning jar with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and….. ground flaxseeds. no one in the family knows that the ground flaxseeds are in there. They sprinkle that stuff all over oatmeal, cream of wheat, yogurt, toast and sometimes pancakes. :)

12. ANN NGUYEN

February 13, 2013 at 4:05 am

My 14 month toodler refused it!so sad;(((

• LisaLarson

April 2, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Don’t be afraid to try again. :-)

13. Stefanie

January 18, 2013 at 9:35 am

Definitely adding this one to the weekly meal plan! I put everything in a blender and pureed it for my one-year-old (she still doesn’t have many teeth, yet). She gobbled it up! I thought maybe my 2 1/2-year-old might like it this way, too, since he’s finicky about chunks of food in his yogurt…not so. He prefers all his ingredients separate (although he eats smoothies just fine…hmmmm)! Oh well, at least he still likes to eat those things, even if they’re not all mixed together. In any case, I LOVED it…..SO delicious!! I also like the fact that I don’t have to worry about my breakfast getting cold while I attend to my little ones :) I can come back to it and it’s still just as yummy!

14. Rena Hughes

January 17, 2013 at 12:37 pm

change of email address

15. Lisha Azad

January 16, 2013 at 11:31 pm

This sounds so easy and tasty! Is Greek yoghurt different from the regular yoghurt? We live in the Middle East and I don’t know if we can find Greek yoghurt easily…Thank you for your recipes – I tried the Veggie Heavy Pizza Sauce the other day, a big hit with my kids, so I hope to share it with my Facebook fans on http://www.facebook.com/ConsciousParentingApproach – thank you once again! :-)

January 17, 2013 at 1:26 am

Greek yogurt it thicker and more tangy than normal yogurt, but you can use whatever you prefer!

16. Kim L

January 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm

My kids devoured this and I had all the ingredients on hand because we eat these kinds of thing all the time. It’s nice to be able to throw them all together into one dish.

17. Laura Whitacre

January 16, 2013 at 11:37 am

This is pretty much my son’s breakfast 5 days a week when we have to be out of the house by 630. But I also add some spinach, kale, or other vegetable to it also to get an extra serving in.

On another note: I FINALLY bought the Weelicious cookbook, and my son, who is a self-imposed vegetarian, has been gobbling up everything! Last night he ate THREE turkey pesto (I used your kale pesto recipe. Going to try the broccoli one net time) meatballs. We are goin to try the tacitos tonigt. Thanks for wonderful recipes!

January 16, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Awesome! I love it!

18. Michelle

January 16, 2013 at 11:34 am

We make fruit salad with plain yogurt and cinnamon. It works great with regular plain organic yogurt (lowfat is fine) if you have that on hand rather than the greek style. Always delicious with any kind of fruit.

19. Samantha F in St. Paul

January 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

We just finally made the switch to Greek Yogurt and I am so happy we have.
    We add a little honey to the Yogurt and use it as apple dipping sauce.