How to Make Perfect Brown Rice

Sometimes the most simple sounding recipes can be the most challenging ones to pull off. Brown rice is a perfect example. You might think, two ingredients? Water and rice? Simple, right? Not really. Use the incorrect amount of water, an ill-fitting lid, or the wrong amount of time or heat, and your rice can turn out mushy or even all dried out.

Since I've been making an enormous batch of brown rice once a week for years, I've gotten pretty good at it and want to show you some of tips I've picked up along the way. Fluffy, with each grain perfectly separated, well-cooked brown rice can be used as the base for Easy Chicken Curry, Pressure Cooker Pinto Beans, Mexican Fried Rice, or even one of my favorites, Leftover Brown Rice Pudding.

Watch this video and see how easy perfect can be!

The Perfect Brown Rice  (makes 2 cups)

• 2 cups water
  • 1 cup brown basmati rice (long grain), rinsed

1. 1. Place the water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the rice, and allow the water to come back up to a full boil.
  2. 2. Stir the rice, cover the pot with a lid, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
  3. 3. Cook for 40 minutes, or until all the water has absorbed. Fluff with a fork and serve.
The Perfect Brown Rice

Comments

1. Dolly

July 5, 2014 at 11:55 am

Thanx Catherine. This method has definitely improved the way I cook rice. I love your recipes, and site. You seem to be very intelligent to create something like this. Also you seem to be a very good soul. You have good vibes, and are non judgemental. It just shows on you! Good Bless you and family always!

2. Tara

February 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm

just joining the mailing list

3. Elizabeth

February 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Just joining the mailing list…

4. pchinn125

February 3, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I LOVE your site and find your relaxed, positive way of teaching so inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing all of your techniques and recipes.

5. Gina

February 2, 2013 at 12:37 pm

HI Catherine, thanks for your wonderful site. What is the best way to reheat the rice you cook? I heard once that it’s easy to get food poisoning from re-heated rice so this always terrifies me! I’d really love to know the process you use.

February 4, 2013 at 11:27 am

I put it back on the stove with a splash of water over medium heat. Stir until heated through! Food poisoning comes from the way foods are stored. So make sure to transfer any leftover rice to the fridge within an hour!

• Gina

February 5, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thank you!

6. Cynthia T.

January 29, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I Love Love Love your Weelicious book! I travel most months out of the year and when we went home for Christmas I thought I left my copy of Weelicious at home!!! I was so bummed! But then I found it in the pocket of the front seat in my truck!! I was so happy when I found it!

7. Cait

January 29, 2013 at 11:44 am

I’ve been cutting back on rice, especially brown rice, since the reports of high levels of arsenic came out. Supposedly rice from California tested at lower levels, but still worrisome. Are there grains you like to substitute for rice in your recipes? Or is this overblown?

January 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm

CousCous, quinoa, and barley are great grain to serve with dishes that would normally be accompanied by rice!

8. mati

January 29, 2013 at 11:38 am

can you give us some ideas on how to make brown rice tastier? I’ve tried sesame oil and carrots, raisins and olive oil… Any other “add-ins” to get the children to eat it, we’d greatly appreciate it!
    thank you!!

January 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm

One of the biggest things is to use long grain rice! It comes out much fluffier and softer, closer to the consistency of white rice! The short grain brown rice is the one that gets sticky and chewy, which is what a lot of people don’t like about brown rice. Cooking rice in chicken stock adds TONS of flavor, so you might try that. :) Your additions sound delicious! I like to mix rice with edamame. Or mix rice with salsa, cheese, beans and avocado for a fun main course or side dish. You could even throw in some chicken for added protein!

• Cynthia T.

January 29, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I love cooking my beans and or brown rice in beef stock. It adds even more flavor than the chicken stock.