Spinach Cheddar Chive Scones

Spinach Cheddar Chive Scones

I feel like many of you think my kids love everything I make. Well, it's true that they do like an awful lot of what I cook for them, but there are plenty of times we go to battle over my creations. As I am generally testing new recipes daily in my kitchen, I sometimes wish I could video my kids' reactions to them -- believe me, there are plenty of responses and they're not always harmonious.

Today's recipe is a perfect example. Kenya walked in to the house last week and saw the cookie sheet covered with these flakey Spinach Cheddar Chive Scones. He's always famished when he comes home from school and so I offered him one. Here's how the rest of the scene played out:

Kenya: "Eeeeww! What are these? They're green!"

Me: (big smile on my face) "They're scones! You love scones! And they have cheddar cheese in them, too!"

Kenya: "But they're green."

Silence.

There are few things cuter to me than watching my 6 year-old make a major culinary decision. Does he show a bit of weakness and give in to his mom -- which kids obviously hate to do -- or does he hold his ground and prove to me that anything green that shouldn't be green is inedible?

While Kenya pondered his decision, I quietly picked up a scone and took a bite. After a few minutes Kenya did the same. We both sat at the counter, eating in silence, until he couldn't stifle it anymore and said, "these are really good!" Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat I wanted to jump up and down and reply I told you so!, but instead I played the cool mom and simply smiled.

Sometimes just a bit of patience and not pushing your kids is all you need to make green food become good food.

Spinach Cheddar Chive Scones  (makes 9 scones)

• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and chopped into cubes
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup packed fresh spinach, finely chopped
  • 6-8 chives, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. 2. Whisk the first four ingredients together in a large bowl.
  3. 3. Add the butter to the flour mixture and mix with either your fingertips, a pastry blender, or two knives until it forms the texture of coarse meal.
  4. 4. Add the milk, chives, spinach and cheese and mix gently until just incorporated (the dough may look a bit dry, but allow it to sit for a few minutes and the flour will soak up all the milk).
  5. 5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently press into an 8 x 8 inch square.
  6. 6. Cut the dough into 9 even squares.
  7. 7. Place scones on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Move immediately to a wire cooling rack.
Spinach Cheddar Chive Scones

Comments

1. Pingback: Sneaky Veggie Recipes For Toddlers | Sugar and Slugs

2. Evangeline

February 25, 2014 at 9:41 pm

These are worth every bit of effort!!:) got my arm muscles moving while chopping the spinach n chives!:P

3. Pingback: Use the Last of Everything | Antics of a SAHM

4. Cathy Purchas

August 11, 2013 at 11:48 am

recipes using non diary products, if any or adapt. Please

5. kenchlopal

July 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm

just made and devoured two of these while they were still molten. my kids are gonna go bonkers for them. you’re the greatest!

6. Des @ Life's Ambrosia

June 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Yum! Kellan, even at 19 months, is a pretty adventurous eater and will eat just about anything I give him. I’ve been looking for new things to make him for snacks and I think these are perfect! I’m pretty sure me and the hubs will love them too.

7. Jennifer

April 24, 2013 at 12:26 am

these are the best scones ever. I put green onions and mozzarella just because I did not have the other ingredients on hand. They turned out great! Hoping my son will love them in the morning.

8. Ruth

March 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm

So good! I made these tonight and they were a hit. I whizzed up the spinach and milk with my stick blender, and did everything else with the food processor. Very tender and flaky scones with a good balance of flavors.

9. Kate

March 23, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Yum! Go spinach anything!

10. kristy

March 18, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I only had yellow cheddar and green onions on hand. They still turned out great. It seems like a very adaptable recipe- next time I might try adding bacon. My 17 month old couldn’t get enough of these. Thanks so much!

11. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day Food and Fun – Thinker Mommy

12. Katy

March 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm

My son (3.5yo) ABSOLUTELY loves these scones.! I love the fact I know what’s in them. I’m going to make these again!

13. Pingback: Homeschool Mother’s Journal — 3/16/13 | Adjunctmom's Blog

14. Catherine

March 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I just made these this afternoon for our family St. Patricks dinner tonight and WOW…they were easy to make and turned out fantastic. Flakey and delicious. I couldn’t even taste the spinach or chives. Just the butter and then hints of the hot pepper jack cheese I used inplace of the cheddar. I should have doubled the recipe…but then again it was easy and quick to make I don’t mind to do it again…and again :-) These scones are soo much better than store bought ones.

15. Kim

March 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Made these this morning use gluten free flour. I had to add more milk as it was very dry (something to do with gluten free flour?) and I baked them a little too long, but the flavour was so good! Thank you for this easy recipe.

16. Pingback: Sunday Funday

17. Brooke

March 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Making these tonight for our dinner (Bangers & Mash) starting our St Patty’s Day celebrations! I’m using frozen spinach. I hope it turns out ok!

18. Fran

March 12, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Can’t wait to try these! Is there a reason you specify whole milk? What happens if I use skim milk?

March 13, 2013 at 11:24 am

Whole milk has the most flavor and creaminess! Skim milk should work just fine.

19. Melissa Clough

March 12, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Can you use whole wheat white flour instead of regular white flour?

March 12, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I haven’t tried that, but I think that would be okay! They will come out more dense, though.

20. Hila

March 12, 2013 at 2:19 am

Hi Catherine,
    For the scones, I was just wondering if I could substitute oil and plain yogurt for the butter and milk? By the way, I absolutely love your recipes! Thanks for sharing!
    Hila

March 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I don’t think you could substitute oil for the butter because the butter needs to be cold and firm so that you can mix into the flour to get pea-sized pieces and you can’t do that with oil since it is a liquid! You could sub vegan butter, I bet. As for the yogurt, I haven’t tested that. I have heard of people using sour cream in scones so I’m sure yogurt would work! Let me know if you try it how it comes out!

21. elizabeth

March 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Hi Can I use non dairy milk and cheese? as an equal exchange?
    ELizabeth

March 12, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I think non-dairy milk would work just fine! As for non-dairy cheese that should be okay, too, but look for a high quality one that melts!

22. Diana @ Eating Made Easy

March 11, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I love all the greens you manage to sneak in your recipes! yum!

23. Gaby

March 11, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I LOVED these! And wish I had taken one for the road last week when you made them!

24. Caitlin

March 11, 2013 at 11:59 am

These look so good! I’m going to use them as inspiration and try to make a grain free version!

25. Karen

March 11, 2013 at 11:41 am

One more question, can you freeze these?

March 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Scones are way better straight from the oven! So when freezing scones, I would make them through step 6 (mix and form them into scones but don’t bake them!). Then freeze them on a baking sheet for 1 hour before transferring to a zip top bag or other freezer container. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator and bake according to the recipe directions. Or bake from frozen adding 3-5 minutes to the baking time!

26. Erin

March 11, 2013 at 11:34 am

Will this reciple work if I use frozen spinach?

March 11, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Frozen spinach might be okay if you really squeeze every last bit of water out of it! but I strongly suggest using fresh!

27. Maribel

March 11, 2013 at 11:30 am

I’m trying this along with the spinach muffins. I have a ton of spinach leftover as I’m having green smoothie on he mornings. My question is what kind of cheddar cheese so you use mild, sharp I forget the others I saw at the store…what’s the difference anyways.

March 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

They’re all different flavors! Mild, medium, sharp and extra sharp refers to the “bite” or sharpness of the cheese. sharp and extra sharp cheddar have a more bold flavor than mild or medium. You should go with what you love and are used to. I always have sharp cheddar on hand at home!

28. Karen

March 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

Great recipe! Just a couple of silly questions… What colour cheddar cheese did you use, white or orange? And does the chives have to be fresh or dry is ok too? Thanks so much.

March 11, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I used white cheddar cheese, but orange will work also! Definitely use fresh chives! They’re a different flavor! If you’re going to use dry then you should use only 1/4 of the amount called for in this recipe!

29. Lisa

March 11, 2013 at 9:44 am

Looks yum! Is there anything you can substitute with the milk? Or could I use coconut milk?

March 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hmmm great question! I haven’t tested that, but I think it would be okay. You’ll get a different tasting product and probably have a hint of coconut flavor, but that should be okay as far as texture is concerned.

30. Maria

March 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

Can’t wait to make these!