How to make Crispy Chicken Bites

How to Make The Crispiest Chicken Bites Kids (and Adults) Adore

Yum

We eat our share of cereal in my house. I'm not saying that we have it for every meal, but we certainly enjoy a bowlful or two of it for breakfast several times a week. When you're rushing to get everyone out the door but one kid is still in bed while the other endlessly debates what to wear to school, cereal is an early morning savior.

We have a bunch of different cereals in our pantry, but the one kind our entire family agrees on are Heritage Flakes. They're crispy, crunchy, and -- who knew -- they also make the most incredible coating for the Crispy Chicken Bites recipe in my new book Weelicious Lunches.* Given our love for cereal, I've always got a few boxes of Heritage Flakes tucked away, so this dish is a total snap for lunch or dinner. The best part about these chicken bites is that you can freeze them, so all you have to do for a healthful last minute meal is pop them in the broiler. In my experience, kids grab for them by the fist full, especially when you serve them with dip like honey mustard, ketchup, ranch dressing or my favorite, BBQ sauce!

So watch here and see why that box of cereal sitting in your closet is good for more than just a quick breakfast.

* I love Heritage Flakes but corn or other low sugar flakey cereals work great too.

Comments

1. Lizzette Harris

September 30, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Great site!!!

2. Natasha of Natashaskitchen.com

January 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Hi Catherine!
    I love all the little lunchboxes you use. My son is going to pre-school this year and I’m getting ready early! What is your favorite lunchbox that doesn’t leak and is easier for little fingers to open? Any brand suggestions? I tried searching your site but didn’t see a category like that? Thanks so much!

3. SLW

December 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm

These look great, and I love the video! I have an extremely picky eater,, who eats few foods. But, she loves to cook and she loves to follow recipes herself. Videos like this make a huge difference. She’s dying to make these, and I’m dying to see if she’ll love them. I only just discovered your website, and have ordered one of your books. I can’t wait to explore more.

• Fahad

February 3, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Spot on with this write-up, I actually spspoue this web site needs rather more consideration. Ie28099ll most likely be once more to read way more, thanks for that info.

4. Kate

November 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm

You guys are way too cute! “This could take days” Ha! That’s how I feel sometimes when I cook with my kids. Yum, yum chicken nanuggets (as Louisa calls them).

5. MJW

October 26, 2013 at 4:17 am

I finally got around to making these without using buttermilk (but with milk and lemon juice sub) and I gotta say “easy and delicious!” Seems like it would be just another nugget recipe, but it is very tasty! Hope my daughter likes it, too!

6. Gaby

October 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I can’t even handle how cute Chloe is!!!! And I want these chicken nuggets in my life IMMEDIATELY!

7. MJW

October 18, 2013 at 2:50 am

I saw someone asked about a substitute for buttermilk. I can’t find this where I live. Is there a sub? I’d love to make these yummy treats.

October 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

You can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 cup of any type of milk! Let it sit for a few minutes then use according to the recipe directions!

• MJW

October 18, 2013 at 12:07 pm

You are absolutely amazing. Thank you for taking the time to respond! I’ll be making this tomorrow night! Time difference. :)

8. Kirsten

October 16, 2013 at 7:02 am

I ALSO want to know how they turn out after packing in a Planetbox or other Bento box. Does the coating get soggy and fall off by lunchtime due to the condensation after being stored in the cold refrigerator before packing? Other than that, what a great recipe. I cook something similar but use margarine. Buttermilk is much healthier!

October 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I let the chicken bites cool completely before packing in a lunchbox or storing in the fridge so they don’t get soggy!

9. Deborah

October 15, 2013 at 6:06 pm

What can buttermilk be replaced with if we want a nondairy dish? I keep kosher so I don’t mix or eat meat with milk or any dairy items.

10. Teresa

October 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm

What a yummy recipe! Thanks!!!! What are the fritters next to them?

October 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Inside the lunchbox? They’re both the chicken bites, but covered in different types of flakes! Corn flakes and whole wheat flakes!

11. Ora M. Roberts

October 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I love it when you cook with your daughter!

12. Bryn

October 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm

So, are they cold when they are eaten at school?

October 16, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Yes! Lunch is eaten at room temperature! So it is not heated up, and it also is not cold like it just came out of the fridge.

13. lara

October 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Where may I find a copy of the recipe?

14. Ceri @ Sweet Potato Chronicles

October 15, 2013 at 11:28 am

Nice! Love things like this that you can batch book. But what I really love are Miss Chloe’s dangly earrings. So chic!

15. Crystal

October 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

Looks delicious. So for school lunch, is it OK to bake in the morning and then they just eat them cold?

October 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I let them cool completely before packing in the lunch box so they don’t get soggy! School lunch is not reheated so it is served at room temp! I always pack an ice pack in lunch to keep everything at a safe temperature!