Puff Pastry Pumpkins

Puff Pastry Pumpkins

Puff Pastry Pumpkins

Running a food website has helped make me feel somewhat more normal. I have always been prone to spending way too much time thinking about recipes, especially the ones I'm going to make during holidays. If you happened to be a fly inside my head eavesdropping on my culinary inner monologues as the holidays approach -- specifically Halloween -- you'd probably consider me a solid candidate for the loony bin. However thanks to the internet, I somehow found a place to channel my most loopy ideas. Add to that the bonus of having my own captive test audience (known in some circles as my husband and two children) who I can try my crazy ideas out on before sending them out into the world wide interweb, and I have found a strategy to appear normal to most people.

Interestingly, this recipe for Pumpkin Puff Pastry Tarts did not cause anyone in my family to worry in the slightest that I had lost it. On the contrary. Thankfully, all you have to do in our house is mention the words whipped cream and both of my kids are hooked. Chloe actually goes into a full body, eye rolling, twirly daze as if she's become possessed -- and that's before she's even had any. Whipped cream can do that to a kid.

There's no time like the present to get out your pumpkin shaped cookie cutters to make a batch of these delectable cuties. Filled with pumpkin whipped cream (yes, you heard that correctly) these puff pastry pumpkin tarts are an indulgent holiday treat that will make your kids loopy....in the best way!

Puff Pastry Pumpkins 2

Puff Pastry Pumpkins  (makes 18 pumpkins)

• 2 sheets puff pastry
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. 2. Unfold the puff pastry and cut into pumpkins using a pumpkin cookie cutter.
  3. 3. Place the pumpkins on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
  4. 4. While the pumpkins are baking, place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and and beat with an electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, until thoroughly combined and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  5. 5. Remove the pumpkins from the oven, allow to cool slightly, then slice in half. Top one half with the pumpkin mixture, place the other pumpkin half on top and decorate with chocolate chips for eyes as desired.
Puff Pastry Pumpkins

Comments

1. Kate

November 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

How did I miss these? They would be so cute for Thanksgiving too!

• Paulalyn

February 4, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Gosh…this was awesome. I hope that I can got back and see all of the blogs on ahoentr day as I don’t have time to “bag” them (using bag the web) to reference them later. Thanks so much to everyone. Great Freebies!

2. Karen @ The Food Charlatan

October 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Um, YUM! Also, I can relate to your daughter’s whipped cream daze. I thought everyone did that?

3. Gaby

October 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm

next time you make these – I’m coming over!!!

4. Jessica

October 18, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hi, Catherine:
    I love love love your website, book and videos.
    All of your recipes should be called
    “The Easiest Delicious Healthy Recipes.” You are far the best chef! You are such a professional chef ( you were in the professional cooking school, no wonder..) that you are able to simplify cooking without sacrifice the taste for busy mom and for reality..

I have read tons of recipes books and videos including those from famous chefs(e.g. Mark Bittman, James Oliver, Nigella , Rachael Ray , Martha Stewart and ect. You are the best chef for busy mom like me to follow!

Keep the good work! you are changing the world of home cooking!
    God Bless!!!

5. Pingback: Yum! | Boise's Baby Show

6. Denise

October 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Hello. A friend of mine told me about your blog and “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. I now have two favorites. Keep up the great work. Denise

7. Tina

October 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I truly enjoy reading your blog along with your recipes. :) Your kids remind me of mine in their silly behavior. Thank you for your hard work, it doesn’t go unnoticed. Looking forward to making your Puff Pastry Pumpkins. :)

8. Nichole

October 17, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Do you think these would freeze ok? I want to make for my sons preschool but want to make them a head of time. Thanks!!!

October 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hmm I haven’t tried freezing whipped cream and I’m not sure how that would work. You can make the whipped cream and the puff pastry pumpkins up to 1 day ahead of time. Store both in the fridge. You might need to give the whipped cream an extra little whip the next day to revive it!

9. Amy Hourigan

October 17, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I can’t wait to make these with my little ones. Pumpkin whip cream….brilliant!!

10. Laura

October 17, 2013 at 11:06 am

Is there a link to the recipe somewhere? I cannot find it! Thanks!

October 17, 2013 at 11:38 am

It is under the post! So weird that it didn’t show up before!