Get ready to make Carrot Ginger Soup one of your go-to recipes. This soup is the perfect combination of sweet yet hearty. It’s so simple to make, you’ll wonder how you went this long without it being part of your family favorites!
This is one of my tried and true recipes that I’ve been making for years. Long before I was married or had kids, when my best friend and I were living together, this soup was in my weekly recipe rotation. Like many kids who shun their veggies, my friend was hard to cook for. But, much to my surpise, she absolutely loved this naturally sweet soup. Now I make it for my family and they love it just as much as she did!
What You Need for Carrot Ginger Soup
Not only is this recipe addicting to eat, but it’s made by only using a few super healthy ingredients. Most of which you may already have on hand. Here’s what you need to make your new favorite soup:
- Carrots: One of the key nutrients in carrots is beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that the body converts into vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining healthy vision, as well as for the growth and development of cells in the body.
- Ginger: Ginger has long been used in traditional medicine to help with a variety of ailments, including nausea, sore throat, and even headaches. It is also well known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Onion: Adding an onion in this recipe gives this soup a rich umami flavor and a slight sweetness that takes it to the next-level.
- Vegetable Stock: I use vegetable stock in this recipe so that it can be vegetarian, but if you have no preference, chicken stock works great too!
More Simple Soup Recipes
- Crock Pot Black Bean Soup
- Broccoli Soup
- Spiced Carrot Cauliflower Soup
- Roast Vegetable Soup
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Nutritious, delicious and heart warming, hopefully this Carrot Ginger Soup will be in your weekly rotation all winter long! Let me know in the comments what you think or tag me on social media if you make this one!
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 16 ounce bag baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 32 ounce box low sodium vegetable stock (you could also use low sodium chicken stock if you don't need this to be vegetarian)
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat and sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the stock, ginger, carrots and salt, bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Puree the soup using a hand blender or in a blender until creamy and smooth.
- Serve topped with a dollop of yogurt, sour cream or crème fraiche if desired.