Making homemade Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers is so much easier and faster than you would think and this video will show you how! You can whip them up and even freeze a bunch so you have them around all the time.
While I’m super easy-going about Kenya and Chloe having cake at birthday parties or ordering things like french fries every now and then when we’re out to eat, I can’t help but cringe when they are offered goldfish as a snack on play dates or at camp. Of course there are many things that would be considered far worse for them than these little yellow bite-sized snacks, but goldfish kind of get under my skin.
Goldfish are one of those “easy” foods that most people keep in the pantry for their kids. And why not? They’re delicious. But they are also high in sodium, low in fiber and feature some unneeded empty ingredients like sugar. For what is such a simple food, making your own homemade version is so much better, especially when you use whole wheat flour, which ups the fiber content and is far more nutritious than refined.
I know what you might be thinking…”it takes longer to make goldfish than it does for me to buy them”. Well, you’d not only be surprised by how quick and easy these cheddar crackers are to make but also how much money you’ll save making your own. And the best part is that you can use cookie cutters to pop out these crackers in whatever shapes you think your kids will love. More special than goldfish? What more could you hope for at snack time!
Photo by Maren Caruso
Whole Wheat Cheddar Crackers
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon spike salt-free seasoning (any salt free/herb seasoning will work)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the first 3 ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse and until a ball forms.
- Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured or parchment-covered surface. Slice into crackers or cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.