Chicken Noodle Soup

chicken-noodle-soup.jpg

Good for the heart, good for the soul....good when everyone in our household has been sick for 6 days straight! Poor little Kenya got a bronchial infection at one of the kid play spaces (a.k.a "germ factories") I take him to and within days everyone in our house was down for the count. Since there's little you can do medicinally for kids Kenya’s age, out came my homemade ginger-lemon-honey tea and my personal favorite, chicken noodle soup.

Almost nothing seems to taste good when you’re sick, but there's something about chicken noodle soup that always makes you feel better. For years doctors have deemed it medicinal and I have to agree. I always considered my recipe for chicken soup fast, easy and fresh, but I became a true pro at making it day after day this week to feed my “patients”. Chocked full of carrots, celery and leeks, I got smart this time and made a huge batch for the freezer for the next time we're all down for the count.

Chicken Noodle Soup  (Make 4 Servings)

• 32 ounces (1 box) low sodium chicken stock
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 leek, white and light green part thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
  • 2 large bone in, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 teaspooons vegit or other salt-free herb seasoning
  • 3/4 cup small noodles (i like to use broken spaghetti)

1. 1. Heat chicken stock in a large pot over a high heat and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
  2. 2. Add the carrots, celery, leeks, chicken breast, Vegit and cook for 12 minutes.
  3. 3. Remove the chicken breast, cool and tear or chop into bite size pieces.
  4. 4. Add the egg noodles to the broth and cook for 6 minutes or until tender.
  5. 5. Add the chicken to the soup.
Chicken Noodle Soup

Comments

1. Kelly

January 19, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Hi Catherine! Would it be okay to use Herbamare in place of vegit?

January 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm

You could use any spice blend you prefer!

2. rebecca

November 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

As always, a delicious recipe. I doubled it so we’d have extra and I didn’t have leeks so I sauted onions instead with a little garlic. So comforting this time of year.

3. Jessica

October 18, 2012 at 10:18 am

Can I do this in the crockpot?

October 18, 2012 at 11:31 am

Yes, I think it would work beautifully in a crock pot! Chicken breast takes 2-4 hours to cook in the crock pot on low heat!

4. Puja

October 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm

The sure way to cook chicken breast as seen on America’s Test Kitchen is to start with the chicken and stock in a cold pot and bring to boil and then simmer till chicken reads at 165

5. Pingback: Chicken Seasoning

6. Pingback: roasted potatoes

7. cristy

November 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm

is there a way to make this w/o vegit, and have still taste good?

December 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Vegit just adds more seasoning, you can avoid putting it in and just season with some salt to taste

8. Nana B

November 30, 2010 at 8:10 am

I’ve not heard of Vegit. What is it and where do I find it, please? I live in the Metro area of MN. Thanks!

• cristy

November 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm

whole foods sells vegit. i think in the seasoning aisle. you can also order from amazon. it’s a little pricey, but probably worth it if you plan to cook with it a lot

9. Vanessa

October 31, 2010 at 12:45 pm

iI can’t find low sodium stock, can I use broth or will it give another flavor?

November 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm

You can use broth :)

10. Jenna

October 11, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I made this for my 13 month old daughter who had her first little cold. It turned out great the only thing that I did different was to add a couple minced garlic cloves. I had no idea if my LO was going to eat this (because she never had soup before) but she kept signing “more” as soon as her bowl was empty- it was so cute! Thanks for the yummy recipe I also enjoyed a couple bowls too!

11. shauna

August 3, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Not sure what I did wrong. The chicken took longer than 12 mins. After it was done, I added the noodles but they took longer than 6 minutes and the carrots were not tender when the noddles were done. I cooked the whole thing a lot longer and lost much of the broth in the process. Any suggestions? Also, any tips on how to get a 16 month old to eat/drink soup?

• zephyr

September 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm

it shoud

August 3, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Hmm, Did you bring the stock to a boil then reduce to a simmer? For your 16 month old, show her how good the soup is, eat it with her. Give a her a little bowl with some soup in it and give her a spoon. See if that works – if she is a fan of the noodles, give her more noodles so she can eat them. Let me know how it goes!

12. Christine

September 30, 2008 at 2:10 am

I can’t express how much I love your website.
    I came across it through mamasource.com just a few months ago. I was 38 (sahm) with two children (4.5 and 2.5 years old) and expecting my third in June. For some reason, life was manageable with the two kids, but then I felt like I couldn’t keep up anymore.
    I’m vegetarian, nutritionally and environmentally responsible, and a former teacher. I was feeling so defeated at my lack of ability to manage “everything” at home, especially providing well thought-out meals/snacks.
    Well, your website has helped me ‘get my groove back’! With a 13 week-old commanding so much of my time, I’m not doing as well as I’d like, but I feel so much more in control of the meals I’m providing for my family. I’m proud of them.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your love of food and your expertise in cooking. I’m always to thrilled to see a new recipe for me to try; or a recommendation you might have.
    Keep it up, please!