Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my family’s favorite easy, weeknight meals. In about 30 minutes you have a delicious, hearty soup that everyone will love.
For someone who loves to cook as much as I do, there are days, plenty of them in fact, where I just want a delicious dinner to appear before my eyes, requiring as little work as possible. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is that answer to my prayers. With just a little bit of effort on my part, I’m able to get this flavorful soup on the table for my family without spending hours in the kitchen preparing it.
And who doesn’t like tortilla chips? When I put the kids’ bowls of soup in front of them with some tortilla chips on the side, their eyes light up. They love that I let them use their hands to break up the chips to sprinkle on top of the soup and then stir them in, making dinner not only an interactive experience, but a super fun one at that!
All winter long, you can find me and the family making soups. We love to make a big batch of soup to have leftovers for the week or to freeze. We switch off between Asian Chicken Soup, Butternut Squash and Apple Soup, Crock Pot Black Bean Soup or Crock Pot Lentil Veggie Stew just to name a few. Soup is an easy way to get a hearty meal on the table for your family with minimal effort!
Chicken Tortilla Soup will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for about 5 days and in your freezer for about 6 months so you can enjoy it whenever you want! And if you want to save a little time, you can buy a store bought rotisserie chicken to get this on the table even faster!
Let me know if you warm yourself up with this soup this winter!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 32oz box chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- juice of 1 lime
- crushed tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the onions and salt for 3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic clove and cumin and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and remaining ingredients (except for the lime juice & tortilla chips). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- After 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts) remove the chicken from the pot and shred, using a fork. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot with the lime juice and simmer for another 3-4 minutes or until chicken is heated though.
- Remove bay leaf, pour soup into bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips for everyone to stir in on their own. Serve with desired toppings on the side.