Crepes

Easy Crepes from Weelicious

When I was 6 months pregnant with Kenya, my husband and I went to Paris for some work as well as some much needed R and R. I had actually lived in Paris for years when I was younger so I was excited to walk all over the city showing him my favorite neighborhoods and old haunts. There's nothing like being pregnant in the most romantic city in the world and walking by patisseries and bistros all day. It’s an automatic excuse to eat a lot. As a result, we didn't take one form of public transportation the entire trip, since I didn't want to miss a single culinary delight and we needed to walk our multiple meals off!

One of my favorite treats are crepes. These heavenly, light, little pancakes are the perfect base for all types of fillings like mashed bananas, almond butter, fruit preserves and, dare I suggest, Nutella (very common in France).

I made crepes for Kenya and myself for breakfast and he loved them. I covered them with apple butter and rolled them into little cigar-shaped cylinders which he held and ate at his leisure. When the rest of the batch was cool, I just wrapped them up and put them in the fridge so we could still eat them for a few days.

Easy Crepes from Weelicious
Strawberry Preserves Crepe

Easy Crepes from Weelicious
Savory Cheese Crepe

Easy Crepes from Weelicious
Banana Nutella Crepe

Crepes  (Makes 14 Crepes)

• Prep Time: 1 hrs,

• 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • butter for sauteing

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree.
  2. 2. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight (this helps the bubbles to settle and the crepes not to tear).
  3. 3. Grease a saute pan or crepe pan with butter. Pour in 2 tbsp of batter and swirl to cover the pan.
  4. 4. Cook for 1 minutes, flip and continue to cook another 30 seconds or until just starting to become golden.
  5. 5. Remove to a plate and continue to make remaining crepes.
  6. 6. Spread with apple butter, almond butter, mashed bananas, fruit preserves or any other favorite filling.
  7. 7. Roll into a cigar shape.
  9. *After step 5, allow to cool, place crepes on a sheet tray, layer a piece of parchment paper between each crepe, place in ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and heat in a dry pan for 30 seconds on each side and follow steps 5-8.
Crepes

Comments

1. Amber

July 14, 2014 at 5:52 am

I make these all the time

2. vanessa

June 24, 2014 at 11:22 pm

hello,vanilla extract even when making savory crepes?and no salt?

• Catherine McCord

June 25, 2014 at 8:24 am

Yes! I always use the same crepe recipe and just switch up the fillings!

3. mrsdhurd

August 28, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Hi, I just made the batter for tomorrow morning. Can these be frozen after being made? Im sure I can refrigerate them for a few days. I’m excited to try them with my son tomorrow.

• mrsdhurd

August 29, 2012 at 9:25 am

never mind.. I found my answer thank you

4. catherine

May 15, 2012 at 11:31 am

You can, but the consistency will be different. Let me know how it turns out!

5. Stephanie O.

May 14, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Can I use whole wheat flour?

6. Pingback: Meal Plan 11.30.09 – 12.06.09

7. Bryon

October 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I have made these a lot over the last few months and my family loves the recipe. I’ve found that because of the butter in the recipe you don’t need to use parchment paper between the layers when freezing. I just put in foil and freeze

8. Katrina Griggs

October 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I made these tonight with Whole Wheat flour. My 3 1/2 year old son ate 3 with cinnamon sugar. They were a huge hit!

9. Nicole H.

October 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Just made a bunch up. for breakfast made crepe egg cups.
    after making crepes form them in cupcake pan and add egg and other goodies like turkey and veggies and bake. yumm

10. Christine

August 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Also, I’ll be using the leftover crepes for our lunch at the beach with shredded roasted chicken, cheese, cream cheese and capers, etc. YUM!

11. Christine

August 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Loved them! I used a pan with a high lip in the middle and it was perfect because I was able to make two 1/2 crepes at a time for my 7,5, and 3 year olds. They were just the right size for their hands and didn’t need my help applying nutella, powdered sugar, or weelicious strawberry jam! ;)

12. laura

July 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Funny, cause I just got thru making some wonderful, light sourdough crepes with all whole wheat and then got on FB and saw this original post. I think just about any bread can be made with whole wheat flour. You might need to adjust your liquid and maybe add a bit more yeast to risen breads. WW is just about all I ever use, even for cinnmon rolls!

13. kelly

July 20, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I would also like to know if ww flour can be used instead or perhaps half and half?

14. flawlessmom

May 28, 2011 at 1:07 am

I made these tonight for the second time ever. Filled some with pepperoni & cheese (pizza crepe), some with leftover taco makings and some with chicken salad and feta! These crepes are fantastic. I made a bunch extra & put them in the fridge for breakfast crepes and blintzes in the morning. YUM! Thanks, Catherine. I’ve always been too intimidated to try to make crepes. These are so easy. By the way, I use non fat milk and they work great.

15. Paula Richardson

April 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Could you use wheat flour in this recipe?

16. Dawn

January 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Does it matter what type of milk is used–whole vs. 1% or skim?

January 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I use whole milk, but you may use any type. I think it works best with whole.

17. Wendy

January 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm

So, did you intentionally leave out salt? I’m glad I tasted the first one (it fell apart, but the process got much easier as I figured out how to do it), because I was able to add ~1/4 tsp salt. It made a huge difference.

I also used whole wheat pastry flour, and the crepes were fabulous!

18. Linda

January 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Does it have to go in the blender or can I just use a whisk?

January 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm

its better to put it in a blender because this way all the ingredients combine and there are no lumps from the flour but you can still whisk it :)

19. Anna

December 28, 2010 at 2:08 pm

How big is the pan when you use 2 tbsp of batter? These were yummy, but I think I made them too thick!

December 28, 2010 at 4:52 pm

For a small pan, just use 1 tbsp of the batter and spread it thin. If you are using a larger pan, just use 2 tbsp :)

20. Cara

October 30, 2009 at 10:01 am

weelicious is awesome my kids love it

21. Tara

November 10, 2008 at 9:24 pm

I LOVE crepes.
    One version my friend’s dad used to make for us in Canada was
    to squeeze 1 wedge fresh lemon on each crepe and sprinkle with a