Fruit and Oat Crumble Bars

fruit-oat-bars.jpg

Whenever I'm working on recipes for weelicious, my husband relishes his job of being one of our most skilled taste testers. He and Kenya, side by side, will give me their "oohs and aahhs" when I've nailed it and the occasional thumbs down (how dare they?!) when I don't meet their high standards.
When I set off to create this recipe, I knew the challenge was going to be whether I could keep it moist and healthy. On the first try, with a slightly different recipe and cooking time, I thought the crust was a bit to dry. My husband disagreed and declared them a masterpiece. On the second try, with a few tweaks, I came up with this version, which is so yummy and perfect for kids school lunch boxes.
The other day, Kenya sat on his daddy's lap with the new batch and rejoiced as they dug into square after square of this treat. I have to say, this goes down as one of our family's favorite recipes because it's healthy and packed with fiber and other nutrients, as well as being sweet but not in a loaded with sugar and the junk you'll find in a store-bought equivalent.
I guarantee I will be coaxed into making these once a week during apple season (it could be a long winter for mommy)!

Fruit and Oat Crumble Bars  (Makes 18 Bars)

• 2 cups whole oats
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoons wheat germ
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 10 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped nuts (i used almonds)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 cups apple butter, or 1-10 to 12 oz jar sugar free fruit preserves

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Place all the ingredients except the apple butter or preserves in a food processor.
  3. 3. Pulse until the ingredients are combined and oats and nuts are in small pieces.
  4. 4. Press all but 1 cup of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 11 x 7 inch pan.
  5. 5. Cover the oat mixture with apple butter or preserves.
  6. 6. Crumble the remaining 1 cup of oat mixture over the apple butter or preserves.
  7. 7. Bake for 30- 35 minutes.
  8. 8. Cool, cut and serve.
Fruit and Oat Crumble Bars

Comments

1. cbm

March 31, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Has anyone tried freezing these? Any tips welcome on best way to store these. Thanks!

2. cbm

March 31, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Made these today with white whole wheat flour and subbed 1/2 coconut oil for the butter (prob used about 9 tbsp total butter and oil). Did the full 2 cups of apple butter. Delish! Crust held together well, though topping is a little fine and could be messy, but my 15 mth old had no problem shoveling it in:)

3. Ruth

August 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

Made these this weekend w/ strawberry preserves, Like another commenter, I only used 8 Tbsp butter. It seemed to turn out just fine, but it was a little crumbly and maybe a bit too messy to send in a lunchbox. But absolutely delicious warm with some homemade vanilla ice cream on top!!

4. Tiffany p

August 13, 2012 at 7:01 am

How do you store these?

5. Jennifer

June 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I wonder if coconut oil would work to replace a few Tbs of the butter? Then again, everything IS better with butter! HA!

• Kendra

July 12, 2012 at 1:48 am

I do this all the time! I either add a bit of both butter & coconut oil, or I’ve also substituted full coconut oil for butter when I didn’t have any butter in the house, and my baking recipes have turned out great!

Gotta love coconut oil!

6. catherine

May 31, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I love my Vitamix! You can, just do it on a low setting to ensure you don’t overwork the dough! :)

7. Shauna Schwartz

May 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I recently bought a vitamix- and I love it- do u know if these can be made with the vitamix instead of a food processor?

8. Pingback: Nora Simmering

9. lauren

August 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm

These look delicious. I’d like to make them for my 11 month old and am wondering: have you tried them with another sweetener, like maple syrup, so an infant can eat them? And, what about oil instead of butter (he’s got a dairy sensitivity that he’ll hopefully grow out of!). Or, I’ll just wait to make them till all ingredients as listed are a ‘go’!

10. Penny

June 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Made these today with Pear butter. We didnt have wheat germ so I substituted 1 tbsp of ground flax seed. Also only used 8 tbsp butter and used whole oats because thats all I had. No nuts, didnt have any on hand. :( These turned out great! Love them! :)

11. Hair Loss Solutions For Women

June 15, 2011 at 12:59 am

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

12. Jen

February 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Instead of nuts, do you think toasted pepitas or sunflower seeds would grind up nicely and taste good? Son allergic to nuts:(

February 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

i don’t see why not! :) pepitas & sunflower seeds would be great!

13. Catherine M

January 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Are steel cut oats are the same thing as whole oats? I have a lot of steel cut oats on hand and would like to substitute steel cut oats in place of whole oats.

• Kalie

February 4, 2014 at 6:43 am

Whoa, whoa, get out the way with that good inrtimaofon.

• Kristen

April 4, 2011 at 3:21 am

steel cut oats are not the same thing as regular oats. I imagine this recipe probably would not turn out right with steel cut

14. Tessa

November 29, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I made these today with whole wheat flour. Super yummy!! Thanks for the recipe.

15. Sara

November 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I don’t have wheat germ or oat bran. Do you think it would work with flax meal?

November 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Flax meal has a totally different flavor so I am not sure how the flavors would turn out, I would either leave it out or just use 1 tbsp of flax meal.

16. Maureen

November 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Can you make it without the wheat germ and using gluten-free flour instead?

November 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I would use oat bran instead of the wheat germ, and use the gluten free flour :) I have not tested it with gluten free flour so let me know how it goes!

17. Abbey

September 23, 2010 at 6:39 am

Ok thanks I was just wondering!

18. abbey

September 21, 2010 at 9:19 pm

is there anyway to substitute some of the butter to cut back on fat?

September 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm

unfortunately, no, you really need the butter for the consistency after it bakes

19. Ashley

July 30, 2010 at 1:37 am

A huge hit in our household! This recipe is delicious with apple butter but I’m wondering if it could be substituted with other fruit spreads (or what about strawberry preserves??).

20. Mara

January 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I made these the other day in my desperate attempt to find new and healthy snacks for my kids. It came out great and the kids love it (I didn’t have wheat germ though, so I substituted with ground almonds). I ended up only using 1 1/2 C. of apple butter as 2 C. seemed like a lot, and IMHO, it is. Even the amount I used made the bars a little messier than they probably should be (especially if I’m going to send them to school with them). Next time I’ll only use 1 C. I’m also going to try it with lemon curd. But the bars themselves came out moist and delicious. Great recipe!!

21. Annie Tunheim

January 8, 2009 at 1:55 pm

What perfect timing! I bought a load of apples yesterday and was just wondering what I was going to do with our bag of oats since my husband switched to steel-cut. I can’t wait to make these tonight–thanks!

22. Andrea

January 7, 2009 at 1:37 pm

These look delicious! Do they freeze well?

23. Emily

January 7, 2009 at 9:09 am

Hi there,

Just curious if this recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of butter or 10? Love the website, love your recipes, just wanted to make sure I had all the ingredients correct before I tried this one.
    Thanks!!