Orange Date Muffins

orange-date-muffins.jpg

We REALLY love muffins in our house. Not only do we eat them for breakfast, a snack or even dessert; also, they travel well AND you can freeze them to have any time you're in the mood for a treat. These orange date muffins only take minutes to whip up, and they are really healthy. The flavors are so rich, but none of it comes from sugar, and they're naturally sweet.

This is the perfect muffin to make at this time of year since dates and oranges are both in season. I even bought the walnuts for this recipe at the farmer's market; they were so fresh, add a nice crunch and dash of protein to the muffins making them the perfect snack.

We used these to make this recipe:

Orange Date Muffins  (makes 12 muffins)

• 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup dates, chopped
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. 2. Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
  3. 3. Sift the dry ingredients together into a separate bowl.
  4. 4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with the dates and walnuts.
  5. 5. Divide the batter between 12 greased or paper lined muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes.
  6. 6. Cool and serve.
Orange Date Muffins

Comments

1. Sara

February 16, 2014 at 11:14 am

Came out really dry and crumbled everywhere. We probably needed to add more liquid but didn’t realize until after baking. Not my favorite flavor-wise.

2. Edwin

February 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm

An added important aecspt is that if you are a senior, travel insurance pertaining to pensioners is something you should really contemplate. The more aged you are, the harder at risk you’re for getting something awful happen to you while in most foreign countries. If you are not really covered by a few comprehensive insurance cover, you could have many serious troubles. Thanks for discussing your suggestions on this weblog.

3. morgaine317

September 2, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Is this recipe for fresh dates or dried?

4. shria

August 9, 2013 at 9:28 am

Can I make these without the nuts?

5. Angela

March 1, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Love these!! Very moist and flavorful,

6. Rachel

April 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Loved these! My favorite so far, and I’ve tried them all :) Thanks for all your great ideas Catherine!

7. Patrease

April 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I just made these today and they are really good! I browned the butter a bit to add extra nutty flavor (learned this trick in a recipe somewhere else) and it really complimented the honey and the dates. My 15 month old chowed one down just out of the oven. I love that they have so much flavor but aren’t really sweet. I’ll definitely be making these again!

8. Catherine M

January 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Does this make 12 mini muffins or 12 regular size muffins? I am making these now and I filled 12 mini tins but see there is a lot of batter left.

• Catherine M

January 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I just made these and they are delicious. I filled 12 mini muffin tins all the way up and they had the large muffin top. With the remaining batter, I filled another 9 mini muffin tins 3/4 the way up and they had a nice little dome shape top. I baked all of them for 15 min (tested with a tooth pick). WOW THESE ARE DELICIOUS!!!! I offered one to my 20 month old and he loved it. I will definatly make these again along with many many other Welicious recipes. Thank you!

9. Sophie

December 16, 2010 at 8:29 am

Another winner. Babies loved these, as did the adults.

10. MommyAmy

January 19, 2009 at 1:40 pm

MMmmmm… that looks really good and really healthy! Thanks!