Benedictine - Weelicious

Benedictine

benedictine-sandwiches.jpg

I feel very strongly that our childhood food memories play a large part in informing what foods we gravitate towards as adults. My husband and I have sat around more than once discussing the things we used to love eating as well as the foods we HATED as kids. Growing up in New York, my husband ate a lot of pizza, Chinese food, bagels, smoked fish and black and white cookies, while I was busy eating my southern diet of cheese grits, ham and my personal favorite, benedictine.

My husband likes to make fun of the fact that almost every recipe in our family contains cheese in obscene quantities, and it's true, southerners do like their cheese. My grandmother used to make the most heavenly tea sandwiches for us using this homemade spread called benedictine. Her recipe called for green food coloring, but in keeping with our "no dyes" principal at weelicious, I left it out and was shocked that the cucumber still gave it a gorgeous green hue. Most kids I know love cream cheese, so why not let them give this twist on it a whirl. Whether I spread it on pita, rice cakes or toast, it's a winner every time. Even with my husband.

We used these to make this recipe:

Benedictine  (Makes 1 1/2 Cups)

• 1 medium cucumber, peeled (use english or seedless cucumbers if you can find them)
  • 2 tablespoons yellow onion (about 1/4 of a small onion)
  • 8 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • sandwich bread

1. 1. Cut cucumber in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
  2. 2. Place the cucumber and onion in a food processor and puree.
  3. 3. Place the puree in a stainer to drain off excess liquid.
  4. 4. Place the cucumber mixture back in the food processor with the cream cheese and salt and puree until combined.
  5. 5. Spread onto bread to make sandwiches.
Benedictine

Comments

1. singtoangels

October 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm

You are SO from Kentucky! hahhaha I noticed that looking through your recipes. If you aren’t from here then you’ve surely visited a lot. :)

• Chichi

February 2, 2014 at 11:00 pm

There is a need to reform high sohcol education.Colleges face the problem that incoming students are not prepared.But they need to get rid of the heretics and left-wing agitators and ideologues from the faculty at colleges and universities. The primary focus of college educationshould not be brainwashing the students in Cultural Marxism, multiculturalism,and political correctness, as so often happens at too many colleges now.Any college or university which does not hire orthodox Catholics for its facultyis a waste of time. It’s a waste of money for students to borrow money to pay to listen to what they could hear on MSNBC or NPR for free.Or what they could read in The National Catholic Reporter.

2. lukej325

September 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm

How long does this last once made? What would you say is the best means of storage?

3. Michelle

May 1, 2013 at 6:18 am

Yumm, I bet if you added a couple of spinach leaves you woulg have youe bold green color!

4. Lindsey

February 11, 2012 at 3:36 am

Thanks for posting! Just had these at my sons valentines day tea in KY and loved them. Thanks for making my search easier with this simple recipe! Can’t wait to try!!!

5. Shelley

February 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Found you on Pinterest… Just made this!! It was so good! My husband is from KY & Benedictine is a staple there. I’ve tried to make this before with no success. I was so glad your recipe worked! Thanks!!

6. Michelle

July 12, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I just made this…well sortof. It was my intention to make this but I got disctracted and forgot to strain off the liquid and it turned out way soupy. I’m so mad at myself. We just used it to dip cut up veggies in. VERY tasty!!! Do you think it will set up firmer in the fridge since I had the cream cheese softened when I made it?

July 12, 2010 at 2:12 pm

It might, I’m not really sure but I think, maybe, it will separate from the liquid after sitting for a while in the fridge, if it does then just toss the liquid sitting on the top and just stir again. If it doesn’t then you made a fantastic veggie dip!!