Tomato Sauce

weelicious-tomato-sauce.jpg

It seems like we go through gallons of tomato sauce in our house. We use it to make pizza, in pasta, on fish and chicken, as a dip for vegetables and more. I like to make homemade sauce using fresh tomatoes from our farmers' market whenever they're in season, but when I can't get my hands on fresh, I make this version of my sauce with organic canned tomatoes. The recipe is really fast and easy and is versatile enough to use in most of your favorite recipes that call for a red sauce. Best of all, you can have it year round!

Tomato Sauce  (Makes 2 Cups)

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon italian herbs
  • 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sugar, honey or agave nectar

1. 1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and saute the onions and salt for 5 minutes.
  2. 2. Add the garlic and italian herbs and continue to cook for 1 minute.
  3. 3. Add the tomatoes and agave and cook for 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Tomato Sauce

Comments

1. Pingback: What We Ate: The 1st night of Chanukah & Thanksgiving, 2013 | Life Tastes Good

2. Heather

February 22, 2013 at 11:00 am

Hi, I was wondering about BPA in canned tomatoes. Do you use BPA free canned tomatoes? I can’t find BPA free canned tomatoes in Canada, apparently the acidity in tomatoes are one of the worst culprits for BPA leakage which is really bad for infants.

3. Rachel

February 18, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Can I use crushed tomatoes from the can instead of the sauce I want to make it and freeze it for the futur use, thanks :)

February 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Yes you can! Just puree them in a blender or using an immersion blender to get the sauce nice and smooth!

4. Pingback: Meatballs with Vegetable Sauce | thefamilypantry

5. Brenda

October 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Can I make this with canned crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce? It is what I have in the pantry?

October 8, 2012 at 11:49 am

You can use those, but it will be much thinner than the sauce. To thicken it you can simmer it, uncovered, longer until it reduces!

6. Pingback: pizza

7. Julie

February 1, 2011 at 9:09 am

I just made a double batch of this and it was delicious. I froze half and served half with homemade meatballs. Yum! Much lower in sodium than the jarred sauce I had been buying, and very quick & easy. Can’t wait to make with fresh local tomatoes if this winter ever ends. :)

8. Jess-n-Piper

December 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm

The Weelicious Tomato Sauce is a staple at our house! I made a big batch the other night and froze ice cube tray portion’s of it. Don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it before…It’s the perfect amount to go on a serving of pasta for my 13 month old! And talk about easy…Just pop a cub in the micro for a few seconds and your good to go :)

9. Pingback: Healthy Halloween Recipes from Weelicious.com’s Catherine McCord | She Scribes

10. Olivia

September 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Can you jar this and store? I have a ton of tomatoes and have been looking for a good sauce recipe!

September 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I’m sure you can, as long as you know how to. I have read a lot about jarring and have not tried it yet. Let me know if you try it!

• Ashley S

July 28, 2011 at 7:28 pm

You can jar it! A pressure cooker is safer (less chance of spoilage) and you would just have to omit the oil and add it later as oil up the chances of botulism when you jar tomato sauce.

• Olivia

September 8, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Better yet – can you freeze it?

September 9, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Yes you can :) We made an enormous batch with heirloom tomatoes and froze all of it!

11. Lisa

August 25, 2010 at 9:02 am

How many tomatoes do I use if I’m going to use fresh? I’m going to make this tonight. Thanks much. Love your recipes.

August 25, 2010 at 4:28 pm

It really depends on how big your tomatoes are and what kind you buy. You can use Roma tomatoes – just puree them so it equals 2 cups of puree.

12. Laura

August 15, 2010 at 8:02 pm

How do you make it with fresh tomatoes?

August 16, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Just put the tomatoes in a food processor and puree then add them in :)

• Olivia

September 8, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Do you peel and cook them first?

September 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

You don’t need to peel the tomatoes, you can just puree them and add them in.

13. Holly N.

June 15, 2010 at 8:36 am

How long would this store for in the fridge? I was wondering if I fixed some on Sunday would it make it to Thursday? Love your recipes BTW!!!!

June 15, 2010 at 12:13 pm

They are good for a week, so you are ready to go!

14. Marie-Helene

June 3, 2010 at 4:01 am

Does anyone know, is there something that can replace the 1 Tsp Agave Nectar? I can’t find this in my local grocery store…

June 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm

You can use honey :)

15. Pingback: Baked Shells | Nibblers

16. Pingback: Baked Shells | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

17. Pingback: Freaky Franks | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

18. Pingback: Cheesy Pizza Dough Twists | Nibblers

19. Pingback: Cheesy Pizza Dough Twists | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

20. Pingback: Lasagna Rolls | Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!