Of all the new recipes I've made recently, these Mashed Potato Cakes are one of the biggest hits in our kitchen. I made them for family dinner, but they were equally perfect in Kenya's lunch box for school the next day. I find most kids love to eat anything they can hold in their little hands, so these little cakes are a special treat. They're delicious served on their own, but when I served them with a side of apple sauce, Kenya the fun of eating them seemed to double for Kenya.
The Wimpy Vegetarian_ Mashed Celery Root with Blue Cheese and Watercress
Creative Culinary_ Leek, Bacon, Garlic and Thyme Smashed Potato Cakes
Dishin & Dishes_ Jalapeno Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns
Weelicious: Mashed Potato Cakes
Elephants and the Coconut Trees_ Spicy Roasted Eggplant Mash
Taste with the Eyes_ La Purée de Pommes de Terre de Joël Robuchon
Napa Farmhouse 1885_ Roasted Carrot, Onion & Garlic Mash
Red or Green_ Cauliflower & Beet Mash with Chile Infused Olive Oil
Swing Eats_ Italian Style Smashed Potatoes
The Mom 100_ Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Daily*Dishin: Mashed NotPotatoes Cauliflower
FN Dish_ 5 Crazy-Good Ways to Do Up Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Potato Cakes (Makes 12 Small Cakes)
- 2 Cups <a href=\"http://b12.ba4.myftpupload.com/2009/10/12/yukon-gold-mashed-potatoes/\">Mashed Potatoes</a>
- 1/4 Cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- 7 Tbsp All Purpose Flour, divided
- Butter or Oil, for pan-searing
1. Place mashed potatoes, cheese, egg, and 3 tbsp flour in a bowl and stir to combine.
2. Take a scoop of the potato mixture and form into patties.
3. Place the remaining 4 tbsp of flour on a plate.
4. Lightly coat the potato patties in the flour.
5. Heat a thin layer of the oil or butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
6. Cook the potato cakes for 3 minutes on each side for a total of 6 minutes.
7. Serve as is or with accompaniments.
*After step 2, place patties on a baking sheet and place in freezer for 30 minutes then place par-frozen patties in a ziploc bag and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and follow steps 3-7.
Apple Sauce and/or Sour Cream