Salmon Bites

Salmon Bites

salmon-bites.jpg

We started giving salmon to both Kenya and Chloe when they were just over 9 months old and they each immediately took a major liking to it. I'm a big salmon fan and always enjoy trying to come up with new and interesting ways to prepare this versatile fish. These salmon bites are delicious and beyond simple to prepare.

Salmon is an important food for children because it's rich in Omega 3 fatty acids which are essential for brain development. Since your body can’t make Omega 3's you have to get them through food, but there isn't a wide variety of foods that provide Omega vitamins, so salmon is a perfect choice. For kids who might be a little daunted by having a big piece of fish put in front of them or who simply prefer bite size foods, this recipe is a great alternative to every day chicken nuggets. These bites are extra fun for kids to eat because they can just pop them in their mouths bite after bite. The addition of the avocado dipping sauce adds to the appeal by making meal time a fun activity for kids (and the green color is totally novel for little ones too). I guarantee your whole family will be eating up what will soon become one of your new go-to recipes!

Avocado Yogurt Dip

1 Ripe Avocado, pitted
1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (I like to use 0 or 2% greek yogurt because it's thick and creamy)
2 Tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp Salt

1. Place the ingredients in a food processor and puree.
2. Serve.

Salmon Bites  (Makes Approx. 30 Bites)

• 16 ounces salmon steak, skinless
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
  • oil or spray

1. 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. 2. Cut the salmon into 1 inch cubes.
  3. 3. Place the flour and salt in a bowl and stir to combine.
  4. 4. Whisk the egg in a second bowl.
  5. 5. Place the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a third bowl and stir to combine.
  6. 6. Coat the salmon pieces in the flour and pat to remove excess flour.
  7. 7. Dip the flour coated salmon pieces in egg and then roll in the bread crumbs to coat.
  8. 8. Place the salmon bites on a cookie sheet sprayed or greased with oil (I use Spectrum Canola Oil Spray) and when all the salmon bites are on the tray, spray again to lightly coat.
  9. 9. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  10. 10. Serve with sauce.
  11. *For best results, bread salmon bites, place on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, place par-frozen salmon bites in a ziploc bag and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, continue to follow steps 8-10 adding at least 5 minutes cooking time.
Salmon Bites

Comments

1. Ann Marie Figgs

May 21, 2014 at 8:57 am

Looking forward to cooking up the wonderful child friendly recipes.

2. Tamara

September 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Loving your site. Looking forward trying some of these recipes.

• Aksryly

February 4, 2014 at 8:49 am

While fleas usually ride into your home on a pet they will just as elisay catch a ride on a person. Either from outdoors or if you’ve recently visited a friends house that has pets with fleas they could have hitched a ride home with you on your clothes.

3. Sara

July 11, 2013 at 8:18 am

We made these last night and they were a big hit! My semi-picky two year old kept asking for more. I totally forgot about the sauce, so I’ll definitely try that next time.

I even got my girly to “help” by stirring the flour and salt and bread crumbs and cheese. We both had a lot of fun!

4. pujaptankar

February 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Introduced salmon to my 20 month old with this and I’m regretting not doing it earlier. I was superb, especially will the cool avocado dip. Even got a little tiny hands applause after dinner :) Thanks!

5. Melissa

February 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

Both the bites and the dip are delicious! My four year old was obsessed with the dip and she normally does not like avocado.

6. Jen

January 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm

These are so good! I used italian breadcrumbs instead for extra flavor. I also made the avocado dip with it which my picky daughter just loved! I added some homemade ranch seasoning to it to make it like a ranch avocado dip. This recipe is a keeper just love all your recipes!

7. shawnte

February 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm

These are AMAZING! I actually did whole filets, since I knew my hubby wouldn’t want his plate to look like our daughter’s plate with small bites–and yu-um-mie! Thank you for this recipe. I had actually used the last of my eggs in making cookies, so I used ranch dressing for the binder.

Thanks again! Love this site!

8. Leah

February 2, 2012 at 4:02 pm

These sound great – however, my son has dairy and egg allergies. Any suggestions on how to make something similar that would meet his restrictions?

9. Kim

January 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Made these tonight for my fam (3 littles…8, 5, 2) and they were a big hit…and this is a tough crowd.
    Thank you for the thought and time you put into this site, Catherine!

10. Theresa787

January 17, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thank you Catherine, these were tender and delicious. I marinated them using your Sweet Broiled Salmon marinade, then followed the rest of the recipe above. My 23-month old daughter loved these. She kept asking for “one more please” (this happened three times). Thank you again for introducing us to tasty and healthy new recipes to feed our families.

11. Becka @ Just a Bunch of Momsense

November 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Hi Catherine, I just whipped up a batch of the avocado yogurt dip & it’s totally yummy! It’s definitely going in the kids’ bentos tomorrow!

I’m not much of a fish eater (it’s terrible, I know) but we still have tons of fresh caught King Salmon in our freezer from my husband’s fishing trip to Alaska this past Summer…. I might just give it another try, using your Salmon Bites recipe! There’s hope for me yet, right? ;)

Thanks for sharing these great recipes! :)

12. Mrs. Young

August 14, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Thank you for making my 15 mo. old’s first experience with salmon an enjoyable one!

• Agnes

February 4, 2014 at 12:49 am

I checked out the maekrt on my one and only trip to Seattle so far. What an amazing place. It just goes on and on. It must be one of the largest permanent maekrts, if not the largest. It almost makes me want to live there – almost. If you had made yourself one of those hotel iron grilled cheese sandwiches you could have had a whole meal.

13. Gretta Tomlinson

July 1, 2011 at 1:20 am

6t8b0gak6a t

• Tisha

February 4, 2014 at 8:35 pm

These topics are so cofsnniug but this helped me get the job done.

14. Leska McCall

May 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm

so you actually used fillets? not steaks? I was wondering about the bones…..

15. elisa

April 19, 2011 at 2:30 pm

what would you suggest to use instead of eggs in this recipe due to an egg white allergy?

16. Stephanie

January 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Can you use regular salmon filets?

Thanks!

17. Galina Schabacker

January 19, 2011 at 8:55 am

I am very thankful to this topic because it really gives great information ~;,

18. Jennifer

January 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Catherine – these rock!! My son used to eat salmon with no issues, then last time he wouldn’t touch it. Once I set these awesome bites in front of him, they were gone! He is almost 2 and really want to have that good foundation with fish and these do the trick. You are awesome!!

19. kjostes

November 15, 2010 at 6:48 pm

This sounds fantastic! Is there any secret for getting bones out? Is there a particular brand you use that has already boneless filets?

November 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm

You can rarely find salmon fillet with bone-in. I got mine at our local farmers market but you can get it at any grocery store :) or health foods.

20. Lisa

October 20, 2010 at 8:13 pm

OMG, Catherine, you are a genius! My 9 year old has been turning up his nose at salmon for 9 years exactly. Salmon is a weekly staple at our house and he’s never cared for it. I didn’t give up, though. I just kept trying new recipes. He absolutely loved this recipe! He said, “Mommy, I can’t believe I like salmon now!” Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all that you do to help out moms.

21. KatieJ

July 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

Just found your site – great recipes and tips for mom! I was wondering if you think these would freeze. What about the sauce?

July 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Thank you so much!! These would freeze wonderfully! You can either freeze them before baking or after. I’m not too sure about the sauce since I have not froze the sauce myself. If you do it, let me know how they turn out when you defrost!

• KatieJ

July 14, 2010 at 3:18 pm

They do freeze great! And the sauce came out okay too. I know with some dairy items, you can freeze them if they are not more than half the total ingredients. Tasted good to us, and my 13 month old. I can’t believe she’s eating salmon – and loves it!