Brown-wees

I hesitated for a moment to put up a brownie recipe because I try to focus on dishes that are healthy for kids, but I'm also all about moderation in eating and not depriving kids of sweets if they are made as healthfully as possible. Plus, these brownies are so delicious, I just couldn't help myself.

In my opinion, getting your kids cooking and having them associate the kitchen with fun is important in inspiring them to eat well, and if there's one thing Kenya and I had making these brown-wees together, it's fun. Besides trying to keep him from dipping his finger in the batter for "just one taste" several times, Kenya loved helping me out with almost every step of the process. But he loved eating them even more!

Brown-wees  (Makes 15 Brownie squares)

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup agave nectar or honey
  • 1 egg, whisked
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Combine first 3 dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.
  3. 3. Combine all wet ingredients (agave, egg, vanilla and vegetable oil) in a separate bowl.
  4. 4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine (if you are adding walnuts, incorporate them here as well).
  5. 5. Spread the batter into a buttered or greased 8 x 8 inch pan.
  6. 6. Bake for 25 minutes.
  7. 7. Cool, cut into squares and serve.
  8. To make these egg-free: Substitute the egg with 1 Tbsp of Ground Flaxseed combined with 3 Tbsp of water.

Accompaniments: Chopped Walnuts

Brown-wees

Comments

1. Stephanie

June 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Just tried these and used a little sugar (1/4 c, then 1/2 c. honey) and added a whole mashed banana. Used coconut oil spray to grease the pan and I think they have a nice “tropical” taste in addition to the chocolate. It was super easy and very tasty!

2. Diana

July 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I just made these; they came out of the oven 15 minutes ago. They are very delicious and I love the texture. I didn’t have agave, and I didn’t have 3/4 cup honey, so I did half honey, half sugar, and added some almond milk. It turned out great! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

3. Ruth Pinnell

July 10, 2012 at 9:03 am

My son wanted to take brownies to daycare for his 5th birthday party, so we made these together. The kids (ages 1-5) enjoyed them, but all the adults agreed there was a “definitely different” texture and taste compared to most brownie recipes made with sugar.

4. Jen Swayne

September 15, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I use a can of black beans, pureed, for added fiber and protein. It changes the texture a bit, but no complaints from the kids, still taste chocolatey and delicious!

5. Paula Richardson

August 19, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Blueberries are surprisingly yummy in brownies also!

6. Robin

July 15, 2011 at 8:45 am

I was wondering what the cooking time would be if you were to bake them in mini muffin pans? Thanks!

7. Sharee

July 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I’ve heard success with using spinach in brownie recipes too :)

8. Vanessa

October 8, 2010 at 11:22 am

made these last night and added the shredded zucchini…..sooooo goood ;)

9. Jules

June 3, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I make my brownies healthy by adding some very very finely shredded zucchini or substituting the oil with applesauce. My kids don’t know the difference!

June 3, 2010 at 3:51 pm

That sounds amazing, i have to give it a try!