Carrot Snack Sticks

I never leave my kitchen. I'm constantly in there testing new recipes and trying to come up with fun and delicious ideas I think kids AND parents will both love. The kitchen is also where our family congregates, so the only time I'm not in that room is when I'm sleeping! I don't mind though. I like to think I spend all my time in the kitchen so you don't have to!

Coming up with recipes that will appeal to the whole family is not always easy -- especially when it comes to adding vegetables, because kids can be very particular about which vegetables they'll eat (so can adults, for that matter). You can't please all the people all the time, but carrots are one vegetable I find most people enjoy. That's good news since carrots are not only delicious, but they're also a powerhouse of nutrition, containing a high concentration of beta carotene (a substance that converts to Vitamin A in the body) and are a good source of dietary fiber, Vitamins C and K.

I've made these Carrot Snack Sticks for our family and friends several times and they tend to go missing as soon as they come out of the oven. They're crunchy like a cracker and have a rich, sweet flavor. Even people who turn their noses up at veggies will ask for seconds of this yummy snack treat -- and you'll barely spend any time in the kitchen making them!

We used this to make this recipe:

Carrot Snack Sticks  (Makes about 30)

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded and thin
  • 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. 2. Combine the first four ingredients and stir to combine.
  3. 3. Using your hands, add the carrots to the flour mixture coating the carrot pieces with flour.
  4. 4. Add the oil and work with your hands to bring the dough together.
  5. (You really have to be patient with working this dough together so that the flour absorbs the oil. If you are concerned that it is not coming together, just add 1 extra tsp of oil to the dough and work it with your hands forming a ball until it comes together.)
  6. 5. Form the carrot parmesan dough into a flat rectangular disk and allow to rest for 1-2 minutes then roll out 1/2 inch thick on parchment paper or a dry clean surface.
  7. 6. Using a knife, cut the dough into sticks, 2 inches long by 1/4 inch wide.
  8. 7. Bake on a Silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet for 15-17 minutes.
  9. 8. Cool and serve.
  10. ** Recipe can easily be doubled
  11. To Freeze: After step 6, place onto a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes. Remove and place in a ziploc bag, label and freeze. When ready, follow steps 7-8, adding an additional 2-3 minutes baking time.
  12. VIDEO FOR MORE HELP : Carrot Snack Sticks Program
Carrot Snack Sticks

Comments

1. Pingback: Sneaky Veggie Recipes For Toddlers | Sugar and Slugs

2. Amy

May 14, 2014 at 9:34 am

We have a wheat allergy and wondering if you have tried this using a gluten free flour – and if so, any tips or suggestions would be great.

3. Lori

April 28, 2014 at 10:24 am

Any recipe that gets my vegetable-averse 16-month-old to get a vegetable in that body is ok by me! He’s reaching for more. Score! I did not have Parmesan so I used shredded mozzarella and I added that extra tsp of oil and I found that to be just right. I think they have a nice light carrot flavor. I’m not too hung up on needing recipes to taste like vegetables. My 4-year-old survived on weelicious muffins for a couple years and now he eats all kinds of plain fruits and vegetables. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas Catherine!

4. alisoncreamer

January 16, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Love this !!!!! I made 3 batches because my husband loved them as well. I used a food processor for most of the prep work. I like larger bits of shaved parm cheese so I mixed that part by hand. Ill be share this on my blog as well as other social media sites.

5. Katonna

January 15, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I just made these..I read other mentioned the watched the video I didnt even see a video so I didnt get to watch it..however I definitely had to add more oil..they dont taste much like carrots but in way that is kind of a positive bc my daughter prob wouldnt have ate them then..they taste more like a breadstick or dough like cracker..kind of dry..what I did to make it better was serve it with a dip..I mixed a little bit of peanut butter with some of our stoneycreek organic apple yogurt and a dash of chia seeds..and the munchkin gobbled it all up!

6. Jamie

October 30, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I just made these today and they are AWESOME! They taste like goldfish crackers (which I do not buy because I may or may not eat the whole bag). Glad I watched the video first to see how long you actually worked with the dough. My super picky 5 year old ate them and I had to hide them from her so she wouldn’t eat them all. My other 4 kids really enjoyed them as well.
    I used my microplane grater for both the cheese and the carrots. I don’t know if the type of parmesan you use makes a difference but I used Parmigiano Reggiano that I grated myself and not pre-grated stuff. I guess my suggestion to people is just to knead, squeeze, push, squeeze, knead, squeeze, etc. …It will eventually come together. Patience my friends….patience. (and maybe make sure you don’t have packed down flour when you measure it)

7. Jen

October 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I just made the dough for these, and I don’t even think I’m going to bake them. FIrst of all, 2 tbsp of oil is not enough to moisten a whole cup of flour. Secondly, The dough just tastes like salty flour, which some other commenters noted. This is the first weelicious recipe I’ve tried, and I’m wondering if the others are any good or not.

• Leyla

October 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Jen,
      I haven’t tried this recipe, but I have tried many many other weelicious recipes, and trustme, they’re great! Both for my toddler and us adults.

8. eblawrence

October 5, 2013 at 11:26 am

Has anyone tried these with a different vegetable? Carrots are easy to get my daughter to eat, but would love to find an easy portable snack that has other veggies. Thanks!

9. Jenn

August 1, 2013 at 11:45 am

Hi, I made these today and the dough turned out perfect, thanks to watching the video. My question is, how do I make these taste more like carrot? These turned out perfect, but I feel like they just taste like a salty cracker. – no real flavor. Is it because I did half whole wheat flower and half all purpose? Should I add more carrots? My daughter, who just turned one, loves all your recipes. Please keep them coming! Thanks!

10. "Bug"

July 31, 2013 at 11:58 am

BTW about 25 calories per stick.
    ~
    Calories – Ingredients
    444 1 cup all purpose flour
    26 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    0 1/2 teaspoon salt
    23 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded and thin
    248 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
    —-
    742 Calories in the ball of dough
    or
    24.7 Calories in each stick if you make 30 sticks.

11. "Bug"

July 31, 2013 at 11:42 am

We (“The Incredible Wife Of My Youth” actually did 99% of the work) and I made these for our grandsons this morning. Followed the recipe except used dried Parmesan instead of grated (that’s all we had.) We did have to add a tiny bit of water to the dough to get it to ball up. Perhaps because of using the dried Parmesan or may have not mixed long enough. Anyway, we sized them per instructions and baked them for 17 minutes at 400 F. THEY ARE (WERE) GREAT! The boys really like them and, all in all, they were very easy to make.

12. Ancrimati

July 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm

How many of these sticks would you consider to be a serving? My son is 19mo. Thank you!

13. Pingback: Just got my paycheck, turns out I got a celery cut | crumbsoffthetable

14. nyca5124

June 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

These did not work for me. The dough was very dry and crumbly so I added a few teaspoons of oil more. I used half whole wheat flour, and half all purpose. I grated the carrots very finely, though may have been a tad bit short of half a cup. I just took them out of the oven. They don’t taste like much at all, mostly flour. I won’t serve these to my son. But I’m looking forward to more recipes from Weelicious, which I love.

15. Katie

May 27, 2013 at 2:32 am

My dough form very fast and roll out really well. I did 1/2 wwf n 1/2 all purpose, spoonful of ground flaxseed, extra 3-4 tbs mix of parm n cheddar, extra spoonful of wet shredded carrots. End up only need 1tbs of oil. First batch slightly burn so might need to adjust temperature on my oven next time but tasted great will see how 13 m old picky daughter like it lol

16. eblawrence

May 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm

My 1 y.o. daughter absolutely loves these! I used a 1 cup of whole wheat flour and found that the dough forms faster, but they are not as crunchy, so I did (as I think someone else mentioned) a 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and a 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour gave just enough crunch and still the dough formed MUCH quicker than when I used just all-purpose flour. Also, the smaller the carrots, the better they form. Thanks for such an amazing recipe!!!

17. cnafis

May 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Just made these because my one year old is going through a phase in which he wants to only eat crunchy foods. I thought I followed the measurements correctly, but only ended up with about 16 sticks. THEY ARE STILL YUMMY THOUGH! :) I’ll try again soon and roll them out thinner. Thanks for sharing!

18. Pingback: “Let’s Put This on the ‘Do Not Make Again’ list…” | Organic Vemistry

19. Pingback: Toddler Food Recipes Gone Wrong | Ladybugs And Lattes

20. Pingback: Happy US Vegetarian Week!! | Organic Vemistry

21. Amy L.

March 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I’ve heard bad things about Canola & Vegetable Oil. Do you recommend another type of oil to use in this recipe such as Olive or Coconut, etc.

22. Pingback: Easy, Healthy Toddler Snacks with a Printable | The Pinning Mama

23. Crystal

January 20, 2013 at 2:57 pm

My son is allergic to corn and milk. Is there an alternative for the parm cheese? Could I just leave it out, or would it not stick together?

January 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm

The cheese adds tons of flavor! You could leave it out or replace it with nutritional yeast (which tastes like parmesan cheese)!

24. Pingback: Carrot Snack sticks! | The Chiz Biz

25. morgan

October 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Has anyone calculated about how many calories per stick?

26. Gretchen Randall

October 14, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I was so excited to try these but could not get the dough to come together even after adding extra oil. Not sure if my carrots were not thin enough or what the issue was…

October 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Here is the video for this recipe, maybe it’ll help! http://weelicious.com/2010/08/14/carrot-snack-sticks-program/
      And here is the grater that I used: http://astore.amazon.com/weelicious-20/detail/B00280MAEE A normal box grater will probably make the shredded carrots too big. Also, you really need patience and just keep mixing and kneading the dough until it comes together. What you’re doing when you mix it by hand it getting all the natural moisture of the carrots to squeeze out and mix into the dough, this also helps the oil absorb into the dough to help it come together.

27. brookejc

September 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

They did not turn out anything like the photo. Ended up rolling into balls. My son is eating them but it didn’t yield too many balls. I’ll try it again soon.

• Kone

February 2, 2014 at 11:31 pm

This recipe is great and can be elasiy cut in half to make only two loaves.Wholesome Homemade Honey Whole Wheat Bread This is the most awesome wheat bread I have ever eaten. It is worth the extra effort and because this recipe makes 4 loaves, you can freeze them and have enough for awhile Rising time included in prep.by Karen=^..^=3be hours | 3 hours prep4 9 5 loaves * 2 envelopes yeast * 4 cups water * 1/2 cup butter, softened * 1/4 cup molasses * 1/2 cup honey * 2 teaspoons salt * 6 cups whole wheat flour * 4 cups white flour 1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. 2. In a large bowl, combine butter, molasses, honey and salt and mix well. 3. Add yeast mixture and then gradually add flours. 4. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth. 5. Place in buttered bowl and let rise until double. 6. Punch down and let rest for a few minutes. 7. Divide dough into 4 parts and shape into loaves. 8. Place in greased pans and let rise for about an hour. 9. Bake at 375* for 35 to 40 minutes.

28. Kelly S.

September 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Made these tonight. I thought they were delicious and tasted like a cross b/w pie cust and cheez-its, but I couldn’t even get my picky 4 yr old to try them. Oh well…win some, lose some.

29. addu

August 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

I made these yesterday originally for my 8 month old twins to eat while the rest of the family eats dinner, but they didn’t get many sticks. Every one loves them. Even my five year old picky eater, liked them so much she wanted to take one for each child in her kindergarten.
    I was so eager to make them that I didn’t watch the video until in half way through the prosess and then I realized that my carrots were too coarse so I just put them in the food processor covered in the flour but it didn’t matter, It all came well to gether and they are very yummy.

30. Leesh

July 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

These turned out kind of dry and doughy for me. They did taste like goldfish crackers kinda…..sorta….

31. lovinafarmboy

June 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Mine didn’t turn out well at all either! The dough never came together even after extra oil… didn’t think to add water. After 15 min. in the oven I had smoky dry cracker looking things. Def. not 30 of them either. Any tips… what did I do wrong?

32. CPug

April 28, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I must not have done this correctly or I clearly don’t have the “touch”… After following all of the steps my “crackers” came out looking yummy enough…but they tasted like flour???

• Elle

June 26, 2012 at 7:34 am

Mine did too! … I have no idea what I did wrong. My son and dogs loved them anyway though LOL

33. Elle

April 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

My oven is out of commission for the time being … what temperature do you recommend when using a toaster oven?

April 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

My toaster oven can get up to 350 so that should work just like in the oven. :)

34. Pingback: New Years Resolutions, 2012!

35. Jennifer

December 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I made these last night & they turned out great. I substituted barley flour for half of the all purpose, just to give it a little more fiber. I put the whole thing in the food processor to smooth out the big chunks – first the dry ingredients & then the oil. And then I pushed the dough into a ball & it came together. I did cut back the salt & baking powder by about a third, too.

36. Pingback: perder kilos

37. Crissy

September 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I just made my first batch and it didn’t last two hours! When my husband got home from work, he ate them with hummus. It hit me later that it was YOUR hummus recipe! Very yummy together! I guess I’ll have to make more tomorrow!

38. susie

July 30, 2011 at 10:29 am

Oh boy. Messiest food choice we’ve made for our daughter – we blogged about it (with a video), if you’re interested in seeing what you’re in for: http://emphasisonjoy.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/the-not-so-sneaky-chef/

39. Pingback: The Not-So-Sneaky Chef « Emphasis on Joy

40. SC

July 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Hmmmm… what did I do wrong? I just made 2 batches and it wouldn’t come together! For the first batch I used shredded bagged carrots and it didn’t seem like there was enough water, so I sprinkled a bit in the dough. After adding the oil, it wouldn’t come together. I dumped it out and made another batch, shredding my own carrot (with the mircoplane). After adding the oil, it still wouldn’t come together! The dough balled up into pieces, but wouldn’t stick together. Any suggestions? Thanks…

41. LoriinCali

July 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Just made these yesterday. They are great and all of my kids like them. I used the food processor (previous poster made that suggestion) and used half AP flour and half whole wheat flour. Great, easy snack.

42. Jaime

June 19, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Catherine, I just wanted to thank you for helping keep this mom sane and her twin 14 month olds filled with yummy nutritious foods. My very picky eaters essentially eat only things in cracker form (and are now finally embracing dips), and this has been one of their favorites. They like them even more if I sub half the AP with Whole Wheat, probably because they come out even harder. I’ve also been rolling them out in wheat germ for a secret boost as well.

But I try almost all of your stick or pancake recipes and while they might only take a bite, I am at least enjoying the variety:)

43. Stephanie

May 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Would it still work without adding Parmesan cheese?

May 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Might be a bit bland without the parmesan, does your child have a dairy allergy?

44. Katie Trumbauer

April 5, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Just made this with my daughter (3 yo) and we loved them, they were gone in a hour!!!

45. Dani

March 20, 2011 at 8:25 pm

First, thanks so much for all the work you do to help us moms who really care about what goes into our little ones offer delicious, healthy meals and snacks to our kids.

Second, I made these today and they were awesome!

Third, could I use beets for this recipe? Would I just use the plain beet uncooked, shredded?

Thanks!

46. Nicole

March 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

Would the shredded carrots they sell at the grocery store work? or do they need to be smaller/thinner than that?

March 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

No, they need to be smaller and thinner. Do you have a microplane at home?

• Nicole

March 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I just peeled them with a peeler and then tossed that part and just kept on peeling..so they were very thin. It worked pretty good I did add a little more oil and some water because it just didn’t ever look like dough. They tasted great though!

47. Star

March 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

added a couple TB of pesto to this today and it was FANTASTIC! i’m addicted to your blog! these are also wonderful dipped in edamame hummus . . which is what i started out making today . . and then needed something to go with . . . :)

• Memey

February 4, 2014 at 1:37 am

HHB,If you happen to go to Scots Isetan, you may wanna just go down to their banesemt for their wonderful french bread. YOu will fall inlove too! YOu one fantastic good baker and cook! Please don’t say that!

48. aka

February 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Just wanted to let you know that this is a great recipe for what’s left over in the machine after juicing carrots. Always looking for recipes to use with all the healthy leftover, shredded stuff. Now I have it!! Thanks.

Your recipes are fantastic.

49. sharon

February 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

How long do they stay fresh for after cooking?

February 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

They stay fresh for a good week and half if there is any left :)

• Sara

March 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Can you leave out at room temperature for a week, or do you need to refrigerate them? Also, the same question for the cheese wafers!

Thanks.

March 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Yes, you don’t have to refrigerate them or the wafers, as long as you keep them in an air tight container :)

50. Star

February 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

this recipe is amazing.. we’ve gone through 7 batches in the past week! and today i’m going to give it a try with squash.
    mine came out a little more like breadsticks.. not as crunchy as some have said that they are.
    i’m thinking of using it as a pizza dough the next time we make pizza. i also want to try to make little pizza pockets .. i added a leftover packet of papa john’s special seasoning to one of the batches. (which may have started the pizza craving)
    i took these to my daughter’s school on our last snack day and they were a hit with kids and parents.
    love your blog.

51. Marta

January 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Not sure if somebody already mentioned it, but I’m a lazy mom and did everything in a food processor. Very quick and still turned out very yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

52. Jennifer

December 31, 2010 at 9:37 pm

These are great! My 2yr old son is munching on them. These are a great New Year’s eve party snack! Thanks! Happy New Year!!

53. Pingback: Carrot Sticks | Eat, Drink and Be Family

54. jwrnrf

November 28, 2010 at 3:25 am

I screwed this up on the first try, but my 3-year-old still LOVED them! He loved them even more because he could build train tracks with them after they were made…like in your picture. He also had a blast making them with me. He pretended like the carrots were worms and the flour was dirt. What a fun memory we made today!

55. Jessica

November 25, 2010 at 12:39 am

I made them with ww flour too and they came out great. I added probably 1/4 cup of cold water to make the dough hold together enough. Yum yum.

56. BuddingCook

November 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm

These are delicious! My daughter and I both enjoyed them. We placed everything in a food processor like Sarah recommended! :) Yummy! Thank-you.

57. Lia

November 11, 2010 at 7:29 pm

My daughter (13.5 months) enjoys the carrot version, but I tried them with grated apple and aged cheddar cheese today underbaked to achieve a scone-like texture and she loved them (especially with a cream cheese/fruit dip).

58. Jenny

October 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm

These sound great! I just found your website today and have been adding recipes to my recipe box like mad. My daughter is 16 months old and I’m having a tough time trying to get her to eat enough veggies – I’m like you, I want to get her to like them, not to hide them. Can’t wait to try these carrot sticks. One question as far as substitutions: I still have TONS of fruit and veg purees, do you think I could sub in some carrot puree instead of grated carrot? Would I have to reduce the oil in that case (I’ve seen recipes suggest subbing in applesauce to reduce oil, I imagine this would be a similar situation)?

Thank you so much, can’t wait to get cooking!

October 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Unfortunately it would not work with purees, the ingredient measurements would be off if you use purees. It would basically be a whole new recipe. These are like crackers so you need the oil which is not a lot at all. :)

59. Tiffany

October 14, 2010 at 8:12 am

Just a hint, if you are having troubles getting the doaugh smooth try to add extra carrot. I have been doing this (about 3/4 c total) and I have had to use less oil because of it.

60. Pingback: Healthy Meals and food for Healthy Kids » Healthy Meal Plan (Carrot Week)

61. Courtney

October 9, 2010 at 9:56 am

These took forever, but well worth it. My 2 year old loves them. Not sure how often I will be making them because of time though.

• Star

February 1, 2011 at 10:41 am

try using a food processor .. it’s way faster.
      add dry ingredients, pulse. add carrots.. pulse until well mixed.. and then add oil (i used almost a cup of carrots and 3 TB oil) pulse until it’s all crumbly, scraping the sides down if necessary. then put it into a bowl big enough to kneed it a little (which doesn’t take long at all.. adding a little bit of water (.5 tsp at a time) to help the dough come together. then roll it on parchment paper.. (i rolled and flipped, rolled and flipped because it shrank back a little each time i rolled it) make sure you don’t add too much water or your dough will get sticky.
      hope this helps. my whole family loves this recipe.

62. Pingback: Lincoln’s lunch #9 « Simmonds Family Scribbles

63. Pingback: Hits and Misses « In Search of a Better Self

64. Sarah

September 26, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Oh my gosh, these just came out of the oven and they are AMAZING. Can’t wait to put them in lunches this week! I used my food processor for the whole thing – shredded the carrots with the shredding wheel, then put in the blade and dumped in the dry ingredients and pulsed it. Added the oil, kept pulsing until it looked like sand, then dumped it out on a board and mashed it together (kind of like making cheesecake crust). Used the pizza cutter to cut it into sticks. Came together SO FAST!

65. Stacey

September 14, 2010 at 11:15 am

What other veggies could you use. My kids already love carrots, so I have no problem getting them to eat them as “just carrots”, but would love to try these with another, less popular, veggie. What do you suggest?

September 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Any root veggie would work perfectly! We did a similar version to this and it is called Sweet Beet Cookies, they are divine! Some moms have used zucchini, if you read in earlier comments, they explain how they did it.

66. M

September 7, 2010 at 4:59 pm

These are great!
    Do you have any recipes for snacks made with pumpkin or squashes? Fall is approaching and I love those flavors. Do you think you could make these with one of those ingredients?

September 8, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love that! Will come up with something, such a great idea!

67. Krista

September 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Are these supposed to be super hard or did I possibly overcook them? They were too hard for my 1 year old to eat – even though he has several chompers and is usually good at chewing. Same thing with the sweet beet cookies.

September 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm

They are more like crackers than soft cookies. You didn’t over cook them – how did they like it?

• Krista

September 12, 2010 at 9:51 pm

He didn’t really like them, but my husband ate up the carrot sticks and I gobbled up the sweet beet cookies!
        I think I will try again when he is a bit bigger.

• Sarah

September 25, 2010 at 11:58 am

I had the same problem- I just undercook them a little and they’re fine.

68. Pingback: Fun Finds: Recipes Edition « Mama the Reader

69. AJ

September 2, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I love this recipe and so does my 14 month old. With her being allergic to eggs and dairy, I have a hard time with many recipes. Lucily I read an earlier post about nutritional yeast as a sub for parmesean. It worked great in this recipe and in the pesto recipe. Still prefer the real thing but this healthy alternative will work great for now!
    Thanks for the great recipes!
    AJ

• kelly

May 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Hello I’m going to attempt making these for the 3rd time lol! but with nutritional yeast, how much did you use? thanks!!

May 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I would put in the same amount called for Parmesan :)

• jana

November 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm

what is nutritional yeast? how do you use it?

• Erin

March 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

You can purchase nutritional yeast in the bulk bins at many health food stores. I use it all the time as an alternative to cheese as my son is allergic to dairy. It is really healthy and packed with vitamins(especially B vitamins)and minerals. It has a nice nutty kind of flavor that works well for replacing cheese.

70. Paulina

August 30, 2010 at 10:05 pm

do they come off kinda fluffy or just plain hard?? i don’t know if you understand what i mean!! i think in your pic they look kind of fluffy??
    either way they are gooood!!

August 31, 2010 at 1:19 pm

If you underbake them, they come out a little soft in the middle but if you bake them correctly they come out as crackers :)

71. Allyson

August 25, 2010 at 10:16 am

Do you think these would work with zucchini? My kids already devor carrot sticks, soI’d like toget another zeggie in them if I can.

August 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Some Wee-Moms used it with zuchhini and said it works fantastic! Just scroll up and read some of their comments :)

72. Abby

August 24, 2010 at 4:28 pm

These are baking as I type this – but you might want to adjust your recipe to say canola or vegetable oil – as you specify in the video program. I watched the program AFTER making them – and had already used olive oil. Hopefully they will still be yummy (it was light at least!).

• Eduardo

February 4, 2014 at 6:41 am

Mike,Congrats on the weight loss goal! Is your wife on board? I slug it out oessseivbly in the gym while my darling diets by reducing his intake of Oreos and potato chips, and he drops weight and I don’t. (My reasoning is that my muscle poundage is so dense!) Anyway, the rule we have is that he must always weigh at least X’ number of pounds more than I do. Fortunately, I look at this as a ceiling for me rather than an opportunity to make him gain. If you get down to your high school fighting weight’ just make sure your wife is behind you. You know how we women are about our weight obsessions!Good luck,maureen

August 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Good suggestion thank you!

73. Kevin

August 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Just tried these with my five year old and two year old boys who generally won’t eat carrots and they are devouring them…thank you!

August 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Awesome!!!

74. Andi

August 19, 2010 at 4:59 am

we loved these using whole wheat! I am a whole wheat fanatic, so I was verry happy..just used a bit of water to make it all come together, and they came out great!

• Andi

August 19, 2010 at 5:01 am

…and I couldn’t resist using cookie cutters. So much fun, my little man loved helping me, although he did eat a ton of the dough. HA!

75. Lavanda

August 18, 2010 at 10:46 am

We have wheat allergies – Can you substitute with rice flour?

• Lorrie

November 16, 2010 at 10:22 pm

We have a wheat allergy too and I just made them with Hodgson Mill mulit-purpose baking mix and they turned out great!

• Lori

October 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Made these this morning and all of my kiddos LOVE them. I think they taste like a cheese cracker, only healthier. I used sorghum & teff flour b/c of a gluten free child, & olive oil and they came out great. Also used cookie cutters to make it fun.

August 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I have not tested them with rice flour, Here is something I found on baking with rice flour http://www.ehow.com/how_5679324_bake-rice-flour.html Hopefully this helps with making the sticks. Let me know how they turn out!

• kelly

May 18, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for that link!! Much appreciated!!!

76. Jo

August 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Bit of a dumb question, but I’m just getting into this whole “baking” thing because my 15 month old loves to eat and it makes me happy trying new things with him. But every time a recipe calls for “grated parmesian” I’m not sure where to find it? At the grocery store, I asked the person behind the cheese counter if she could open a brick of their freshly package parmesian to grate me a small amount and she looked at me like I was crazy – am I missing something? It goes bad so fast and I don’t have fancy graters so I wouldn’t want to buy the whole block. I don’t imagine that the stuff in the containers off the shelf would work? Thanks.

August 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Do you have a Trader Jo’s near you? Usually in the cheese section there is a container of grated parmesan cheese.

• Betsy

August 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm

If you don’t have a TJs near you, you can usually find some grated parm in the same isle as the fresh pasta or the cheese. Good luck!

• Alison

September 8, 2010 at 1:08 pm

There’s always Kraft. You know, the kind you sprinkle on pasta.

77. Leslie

August 12, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I just got done making these and they are SO good! I am not much of a carrot person but you can’t even taste the carrots. They taste like a cheese cracker to me. So easy to make too!! I hope I do not eat them all before my son wakes up from his nap!! : )

78. Meg

August 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

Just made these for my 14 month old and he LOVES them! Perfect way to incorporate a veggie into a snack, a challenge for all Mom’s and Dad’s! Love your stuff Catherine, please keep the goodies coming :)

79. Melissa

July 29, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I read in an earlier comment that you were going to post a video on the carrot sticks. I did a search but didn’t come up with anything.

80. Sarah

July 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

I had the same problem with the crumbly dough but tweeked a few things and it came out great. Is there a dip recipe that would go well with these? We like them on their own but we’re a dippin’ family.

81. Pingback: Lunchbox Food - Toddler & Pre-School Forum

82. Marnie Craycroft

July 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hi Catherine, I attempted your carrot sticks today and had some trouble. I don’t consider myself a bad cook but I could not get the dough to come together. It was very dry and crumbly. I assume you used Vegetable Oil? Any hints as to what the problem might be?? Thanks!!

July 21, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Work the dough, work the dough, the oil really needs to absorb into the flour.

• Marnie Craycroft

July 22, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Catherine. I tried again today. I did everything the same except I shredded the carrots much finer. It is almost as if the water from the finely shredded carrots help to bind the dough. It didn’t take long to make the dough. Thank goodness because my hands were tired from shredding the carrots! Is there a reason why we can’t just add carrot puree?

July 26, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Its a texture problem. It wouldn’t work. But I am so happy they worked out!

83. Lisa

July 19, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I made these with WHITE whole wheat flour, which normally bakes almost the same as all-purpose flour. Had some crumbliness problems (wish I had read the comments in advance) but I was able to fix them with adding a bunch more oil. My 15 mo and 3 yo LOVED them! NExt time I’ll probably do half white whole wheat flour, and half all-purpose flour for less crumbliness. But overall, great, and fun!

84. Jessi

July 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Just made these. They’re pretty good, but I’m not overly impressed — which is sad because I was really excited to make them! They’re a little bland and I can’t taste much of the cheese. I think next time I’ll add some italian seasoning and/or garlic powder like some of the comments have suggested. Thanks for such a great website!

85. Faith

July 16, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Made this today and my one year old loved them! Thank you for sharing this recipe, can’t wait to make it again.

I have a feeling that the dough would also be great for making fruit sticks, too. So this weekend I’m going to try using peeled, shredded apples and a dash of cinnamon instead of the carrots and cheese. :)

• Michelle

September 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Did you try the fruits? Did any of them work?

86. Jules

July 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I tried making these yesterday, easy to make, the kids ate them…but I thought they tasted kind of doughy. What am I doing wrong? Did I knead the dough too much? What’s the secret to making them crispy or flaky?

Thanks by the way. Love your website and your recipes.

July 19, 2010 at 3:36 pm

What a bummer! Was the parm cheese you used mild in flavor? You just need to work the dough until it comes together. Did you put any baking powder? That usually helps with the flakiness.

• Jules

July 21, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for responding. I followed your recipe exactly. I didn’t have a problem with the dough coming together (ie: flour absorbing the oil), it’s just the taste of the sticks came out doughy. The parm I used is mild I think. Is there a difference?

Also I did use baking powder as per your instructions but the sticks weren’t crispy or crunchy. Perhaps I need to make them thinner…but then I’d make like 50ish sticks instead of 30 (as it is, I’m already making 40+ sticks).

July 23, 2010 at 5:01 pm

So happy the dough came together! The sticks really do have a parm flavor and it would have been cause your parm was mild. I use Trader Jo’s grated parm and its perfect for the sticks and a great flavor! How thick did you make your sticks? They should be about 1/4 inch thick. The baking powder just makes the dough rise really. Try cooking them a little longer since every oven is different. Let me know if you try them out again! :)

87. Laura

July 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Ok, I must have done something seriously wrong cause these came out terrible! I had to use more oil since they were so dry they just wouldn’t make a ball. Even then it still wouldn’t hold together so I just squeezed a log in my hands tight. But they were tasteless and dry still. I know I followed the recipe correctly!!

July 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

We just did a video on Carrot Snack Sticks showing how to make the sticks since there has been a 50/50 on success with the recipe. You have to be patient with the dough, you really have to work with it till it all comes together and the flour absorbs the oil. It takes time. Will be putting up the video soon!

88. Amy Pali

July 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I just made my 2nd batch, and they are amazing!!! My 1st try, I made the mistake of using a mini food prep to shred the carrots and they come out well at all. But when I used the microplane they came out perfectly!! I suspect because you need more carrots to yield a 1/2 cup when using the microplane, so the dough is moist and easy to work with. They are so good!! I hope I don’t eat them all before my son waked up from his nap, lol!

89. Suzanne

July 7, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Thank you for this recipe. My 18 month old daughter does not eat ANY vegetables, she was grabbing these off the table and shoving them in her mouth! You really should have a cookbook I would buy it. I am excited to try more of your recipes.

90. Jen

July 3, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Made these this morning. Added water to get the dough to work. Considering adding 1 c. of carrots next batch.
    Overall very tasty though. And a pretty low-key project for my 3 year old to help with!

91. Rozana

June 29, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Thanks a lot! I still cannot believe my 2.5 year old son very picky ate sticks and loved it!!!
    It’s so easy to make and so quick – no it will be my default quick snack recipe!
    This is my carrot snack sticks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rozanasaveliev/4747671666/in/set-72157622896919687/

June 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I love the picture! I’m so happy he loved them! If its ok, I will be sharing this picture on our facebook page for other moms to see :)

92. Loni Brang

June 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Do these freeze well after being baked?

93. Trityna

June 28, 2010 at 1:36 am

Hey! I did this recipe yesterday and the flour doesn’t seem to come together to a dough. I had to add milk and egg. Didn’t thought of adding water because i was afraid it would lose its taste

94. Lynn

June 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Holy Cow! I just made the carrot snack sticks for my (almost) 2-year-old son, thinking to myself “eh. If he doesn’t eat them it didn’t take that much of my time or ingredients”. I have a picky, picky eater, so I honestly didn’t even think he’d try one. Well, he did and I can’t believe he’s eaten 6 of them already! And it has a vegetable in it! The only other time he’ll eat a vegetable (also carrot) are in your carrot pancakes. I am so thankful for your website everytime I make something healthy for him and he actually eats it. I also love that the recipes are delicious and the whole family can eat them.

June 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Awesome!!!!!! I’m so happy to hear that!

95. Amy

June 23, 2010 at 2:52 pm

What kind of parm cheese do you use? Does it need to be freshly grated or could I use the pre-shaved parm cheese in the small tubs? I am excited to try these!!

June 24, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I used grated parm that I bought from Trader Jo’s :) They are soo good!

96. Christine

June 23, 2010 at 11:38 am

These sound soooo good! I’m trying to make them right now, but my dough turned out VERY crumbly and I’m trying to cut them into sticks but they don’t stay together at all. I’m not sure what else I could do?

I used All-purpose flour, finely shredded carrot, and freshly grated parmesan. Added a tad more oil, but still very crumbly.

97. Dana

June 18, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I think the trick to the dry dough is to let it rest longer. It seems to absorb the moisture. I made two batches and the second was not as dry after sitting for the 15 minutes.

98. Amber

June 17, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Do you think there’s any chance beets would be an ok substitute for carrots? Is that a huge stretch?

(I made them with carrots and my son did like them. I’m just trying to find ways to get more veggies in this kid. He’s killing me and he’s only 1!)

• Natukunda

February 2, 2014 at 11:19 pm

So it’s a custom witesbe. I have an idea to develop a site on something that I love but I do not know how to make a witesbe nor have lots of money to spend for a designer. I would like people to visit my site, take a survey, rate things on people’s likes and dislikes, create a username/password for security and legitimacy, and so forth. I will sell advertisement space and sell most popular answers to companies who need marketing info. Does anyone know how to tackle such a task either DIY (Do-it-yourself), witesbe builder, or hiring someone (referrals are appreciated). Thanks everyone!

June 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I’m sure beets would work good too! If they are a little watery just use a paper towel to drain some of the liquid in the beets then toss them in. Such a great idea!!

99. Laura

June 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

These are amazing! I used seasoned salt and made them a bit thicker. I also served them with ranch dressing. Remind me of Pokey Stick.

100. Cassidy

June 12, 2010 at 8:02 pm

These are a HUGE hit (with all of us) at our house. Thanks for the great recipes, Catherine!

101. Lisa

June 11, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I made them and they tasted pretty good. I followed the recipe exactly but they were a little flouery and I couldnt really taste the cheese or the carrots…should I put more cheese in next time or more carrots?

June 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hmm, with this recipe… you can mostly taste the cheese with a hidden hint of the carrots. Try putting a tbsp more of cheese and see it how it goes. let me know!

102. Basht

June 11, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Ok so i made these today, instead of parmesan (and the salt) i used a mixture of steak spice, rosemary and thyme. These are so good and my daughter has been grabbing them off the table :) thanks, they won’t last long, it’s a good thing i have more carrots

103. Jackie

June 11, 2010 at 11:11 am

I just made them and I think they turned out great! My kids are eating them up. Do you have any more cracker like recipes? My kids love crackers.
    thanks!

June 11, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Yes I do! Check out http://weelicious.com/2008/10/21/cheese-wafers/ ! :)

• Jackie

June 12, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I know you said these would go fast but I had no idea! I made a double batch yesterday and they are all gone (and it’s only me, my 4 year old and 2 year old home!!) Thanks again!

104. Kerri

June 9, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I made these today and they came out great. I did have to add a little bit more oil and some water because of how dry the dough was. I also subbed asiago for the Parmesan because it was what I had on hand. I love the bright orange color, my kids just thought it was the cheese, never suspected carrots! I also used mini cookie cutters to make stars instead of cutting into sticks. I love these, my 4yr old called them home made Cheez-its!

105. Erin @ The Skinny Gourmet

June 9, 2010 at 11:13 am

Really nice recipe. I’ve been making crackers for my son at home lately, and this is a fun addition (carrot) to the general idea of a cracker recipe. makes me want to try it with spinach as well. Hmmm

There were a couple substitution questions up top. Based on my recent rampant cracker making, I would say that you definitely can use olive oil instead of vegetable oil. It is a healthier oil and usually the taste is fairly mild in the finished product. I usually use olive oil or butter in my crackers.

The whole wheat sub will work, but the texture seems to turn out better in this recipe if you only sub in for half the flour, and use regular white flour for the other half.

Great recipe! thanks again for all the great ideas for kiddo food!

106. Lisa

June 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I made these with whole wheat flour…they didnt form a dough and were very crumbly…any suggestions?

June 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Whole Wheat flour is very dense. The recipes works best with All Purpose flour… it allows it to be crunchy and light when it comes out of the oven.

107. Meredith

June 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I just tried to make these, and I’m so disappointed! I don’t know if I did something wrong, but it was nowhere near a doughy texture for me. I added more water and oil, but it was still crumbly. I have no idea how you ladies got a doughy consistency and 30 sticks out of this!

• Loni Brang

June 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Same thing happened to me!

108. Vittoria

June 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I just made these and I followed the recipe to a T, but something seems off. :( The dough turned out beautifully and I was just sure they were going to be great! They taste very plain and flour-ey. They seem to be the right consistency – crunchy and cooked through, but the taste is missing something. What could I have done wrong? I used a little more carrot than the recipe called for (by accident), would that matter?

After they came out and I tasted them I decided to spray them with a little butter flavored cooking spray and toss them in a tiny bit of brown sugar (I’ve always loved the combo of carrots and brown sugar) and then I put them back in to bake for a few more minutes. They are a little better now but still taste so much like raw flour. Help!

109. Coasting anon

June 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

Just tried to make these and they were crazy crumbly to the extent that I figured there was a misprint onthe flour amount. Doubled everything buy flour and they came out perfect.

Are you sure you didn’t mean 1/2 cup flour?

June 7, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Are you carrots finely shred?

• Coasting anon

June 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

Yup…used the smallest setting on my box grater. I’m going to try them again using the rasp grater.

June 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I used a microplane, and the carrots were paper thin, let me know how it goes!

• Coasting anon

June 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Ok…I used my microplane (which is what I meant by rasp) and it turned out great and Little G loves them! Thanks for the help.

June 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm

So glad to hear that!!!! your welcome!

110. Jojo

June 4, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Can I just use my food processor to shred up some carrots? Or do they need to actually be shredded?

June 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm

The more finely shredded the carrot is, the better they will turn out. I used a microplane to shred my carrots, they came out nice and thin. as long as you can get the consistency like that, you wont have a problem. But I would test it with a food processor to see how it goes. Let me know the results!

111. Erin

June 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm

My daughter (15 months) will love this, she is a big fan of carrots! I LOVE YOUR WEBSITE! i wish i had found it sooner! i find myself thinking at night.. wonder what she will have tomorrow :) Thanks again!

112. Angie

June 4, 2010 at 11:12 am

I was a little lazy and formed tiny balls instead of sticks but my almost 3 year old who doesn’t like carrots ate a ton of them! Thanks for the recipe

113. Kara

June 4, 2010 at 10:26 am

i bet zucchini would do well in this recipe..any veggie that breaks down easily when shredded.

June 4, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Haven’t tried it with zucchini but i think you would have to really squeeze out the water then toss them in the flour.

114. Tina

June 4, 2010 at 10:18 am

Just made these and they are terrific! Didn’t add the parm cheese, but substituted about a tsp of nutritional yeast and a little garlic powder instead, and it was fantastic!

115. Sarah

June 3, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I made these tonight without the cheese and they’re pretty good (just don’t look quite as nice as the photo)! I did have to add 2 T of water because the dough was falling apart. I increased the salt (since I figured it would be missing the salty flavor that the parm would have added), but I think they were a little too salty so next time I’ll keep that measurement the same. I also added 1 t Italian seasoning and a dash of garlic powder to make up for the lack of flavor from the cheese and that made it very tasty (I think I’ll add another dash of the garlic powder next time). My 1-year old son and my 60-year old parents loved them just the same! :)

June 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I love the variations you did! I think im going to try it!!

116. Jen

June 3, 2010 at 5:54 pm

my almost 3 year old just asked for “a bowl of the chocolate chip cookies and a sippy of milk please” – she meant these after trying one :)

June 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I love it!!!

117. Jen

June 3, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I am making them this second. Used whole wheat flour and shaved parm. Will let you know how it turned out!

• Jen

June 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm

also.. thought i had parchment.. bah. debating.. tin foil or greased pan. going with greased cookie sheet.

• Jen

June 3, 2010 at 5:29 pm

baking right now. the whole wheat flour was rough. i substitute all of the time, but i wouldn’t with this. it doesn’t form a dough well at all. totally crumbly. i had to add a lot more oil to make it bind. and i ended up with about 30 pieces as opposed to sticks. once i did get it binded and flattened it fell apart. baking now.. we shall see.

• Jen

June 3, 2010 at 5:41 pm

they don’t look anything like the picture :( didn’t think to use water to bind more either.. taste test to come…

• Jen

June 3, 2010 at 5:49 pm

they’re actually pretty good! surprisingly. i am definitely using white flour next time, but i’d keep munching on them. and… “they’re good” says the kids. not nearly as pretty as the picture, but.. they won the taste test!

June 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I’m so happy they turned out good! The whole wheat flour is a little more dense so I am glad you tested it with it. White flour works much better. Thanks for letting me know the outcome!

118. Neda

June 3, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Do you think this would be good with any other type of veggie? Maybe shredded zucchini?

June 4, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I’m not too sure about zucchini because it holds so much water, but its worths a try! I think you would have to de-seed it then shred it and drain the liquid then toss it into the flour.

• Tammy

July 9, 2010 at 12:04 pm

If you grate a large zucchini on the large holes of a cheese grater, toss it with a teaspoon of salt and let sit in a strainer for a half hour (pressing down occasionally), your zucchini will be nice and dried out enough for this recipe. You don’t have to worry about the seeds as they will dry out too. Be sure to press the zucchini extra dry between two towels after they sit in the strainer. They should be as dry as shredded carrots would be! Besides, the minor amount of moisture left might be just what you need to bind the dough together better!

119. Sarah

June 3, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Do you think shredded parmigiano reggiano would work instead of grated parmesan?

June 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Yes that would work great!

120. Jennifer

June 3, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I have been looking for a veggie based snack option for my 16 month old!!! He isn’t to the point yet of just eating raw veggies and I’m tired of giving him just crackers & cheese. Would love to see more veggie snack options that aren’t in the raw form!!!!! LOVE the website!!!!

121. Meghna

June 3, 2010 at 2:36 pm

30 is a lot….hmm..how do you store the leftovers? Can they be frozen and reheated? I imagine they loose their crunch when not eaten right away?

June 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

The first batch we made was gone in less than 2 hours they are so good! If you have leftovers which I wouldn’t imagine, you can just store them in an airtight container, they will stay crunchy.

• Meghna

June 4, 2010 at 12:19 pm

My 2 year old LOVED these! She made the “mmmm” noise when she tried them….always melts my heart! I did need 3 Tbsp of oil to make the dough bind completely, and I had a hard time rolling it out, so I ended up just pushing it into a 1/2 inch thick disc with my fingers and palm of my hand and slicing it. This worked perfectly. Also, did not have any table salt, so used kosher salt. They tasted great. Kosher salt is chunkier, of course, and tasted great in the cracker as it gave a salt crunch. I guess I cut mine somewhat smaller, though, cause I ended up with more like 45 pieces, but mine were more bite size for a 2 year old, I felt.

122. Becky

June 3, 2010 at 2:30 pm

My 15 month old twin boys are also have dairy allergies (specifically cows milk protein) and I made these without the parm. but added some spices for added flavor. I tried rosemary and it was pretty good.

June 3, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I’m so happy you shared that! I hope you all enjoyed them as much as we did! :)

123. NotaCoolMom

June 3, 2010 at 2:17 pm

We just made these – nice work!

124. Cecilia

June 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm

We made these this morning and my very veggie-averse 2 year old loved them (once he finally worked up the courage to try them). Thanks for the recipe! I had to add a couple tablespoons of water, by the way to hold the dough together. They came out fine though.

125. Pingback: Tasty Thursday Part Deux: Carrot Snack Sticks | Momsense in NJ's Blog

126. Lindsay

June 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

Do you think you could substitute olive oil for the vegetable oil?

June 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm

The vegetable oil has a neutral flavor whereas the olive oil does not. I would recommend just using the vegetable oil so you can taste the flavors in the sticks.

• lindey

July 28, 2010 at 9:13 pm

catherine…i just wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply to comments. little tid-bits like this are so informative; i didn’t realize that about oils! good to know!

• Pixie

July 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Maybe substitute coconut oil if you are trying to get away from vegetable oil. Carrot Coconut is usually a nice combination and coconut oil is not overbearing in flavor anyhow.

127. Amanda H

June 3, 2010 at 10:14 am

These look great! I have used your website daily to help introduce my 7 month old to new foods. Thanks!

128. Hannah

June 3, 2010 at 9:02 am

My twin 2 yr old boys are dairy allergic. Have you tried this recipe without Parmesan cheese? Do you think it would work?

June 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

The parmesan really adds flavor to the sticks, I would sub it out for something else that is similar in taste but dairy free. Unfortunately, I haven’t tried this recipe without parmesan cheese.

• Courtney

September 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I wonder if nutritional yeast would work to replace the cheese? My daughter cannot have dairy either. :-(

September 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I think that would work just fine! The parmesan just adds a nice flavor to the sticks!

129. laura

June 3, 2010 at 7:19 am

can I use gluten free flour?

June 3, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I’m sure you can, I have not tested it with gluten free flour but let me know how it turns out!

130. Valerie

June 3, 2010 at 6:11 am

Can you use whole wheat flour?

June 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm

The whole wheat flour is very dense. I haven’t tested this recipes with whole wheat but if you want you can give it a try, but i’m not sure the texture or consistency will come out the same. let me know what happens!

131. Basht

June 3, 2010 at 3:40 am

my daughter avoids carrots and most veggies that aren’t white but i think she’ll probably love this.