Cheese Waffles

Waffles aren’t just for breakfast anymore! I've actually been sending Kenya to school with waffles a lot lately. He loves when I cut them into bite-size squares and make mini waffle sandwiches. When I'm out of bread, but still want to make him a sammie, this is a great way to make breakfast leftovers stretch into lunch. I put anything from tuna salad to turkey to cream cheese inside.

I would imagine that everyone reading this has had sweet waffles before, but have you ever tried savory cheese waffles? They're a well-rounded breakfast, lunch or snack treat because they have protein from the cheese, egg and milk (great for vegetarians), and obviously, a carbohydrate. They're a great choice when you're on the go and need a complete energy boost. And, as you now know, they make great sandwich bread, too!

So, whether you eat these waffles on their own, as the bread for your sandwich or just alongside some eggs and bacon, they're a fun change of pace from the traditional waffle you’re used to seeing on your plate!

Cheese Waffles  (Makes 12 Waffles)

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated

1. 1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. 2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. 3. Add the cheese and make sure to coat it with the flour mixture (this will help the cheese stay separated).
  4. 4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil.
  5. 5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and whisk to combine.
  6. 6. Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into the greased waffle iron and cook 3-5 minutes.
  8. *After waffles have cooled, place in ziploc bag, label and freeze. Defrost or pop into a toaster oven or oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes.

Accompaniments: ham, scrambled eggs, bacon or make into a Sandwich filled with cream cheese and turkey

Cheese Waffles

Comments

1. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of April 8th | One Mama's Daily Drama

2. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of August 26th | One Mama's Daily Drama

3. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of August 26th | One Mama's Daily Drama

4. Carella

July 2, 2013 at 11:37 am

I have made these a lot and my kids love them! Today I realized half way through that I was out of milk so I substituted organic cream of tomato soup. They turned out great!!

5. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: week of April 8th |

6. dawn

August 24, 2011 at 11:17 am

What does feel like to know you ruined your daughter’s life by choosing a disgusting name like “Kenya”? Shame on you for hating your own daughter!

• Lorelei

September 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Dawn:

Who made you the arbiter on children’s names? What exactly makes the name Kenya so “disgusting” to you? Your comment makes you sound like a racist b*tch. Is this really all you’re capable of contributing to this wonderful blog? If so, please stop.

Catherine:

Comments like Dawn’s aren’t deserving of your attention. Your site is awesome and your son’s name is perfect. Keep doing your thing, gorgeous woman, and we’ll keep cheering you on!

• Tracy

September 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm

First of all, shame on you for being so rude in a blog. Sheesh. Second of all – read before you post. Kenya is a boy.

Weelicious if fantastic and my twins have LOVED every thing I’ve made for them here. Don’t let these negative Nellies get you down, Catherine!

7. LoriinCali

July 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Just made these with my 4-year old daughter and what a hit. She helped me make them (mixing the cheese into the flour mixture was her job) and then spread some cream cheese on top. I also added some pureed cauliflower to them. Thanks for the great idea.

8. farah8402

May 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I made these this morning for my husband and daughter but I find that they have a very eggy taste to them. Would the waffles still come out the same if I only used one egg instead of two?

9. Ashley

April 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm

These were DELICIOUS! My daughter loved them!

10. Anna

January 27, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I used these to make cream cheese and tomato sammies and they were delicious!

11. PB Rippey

January 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm

So easy to make and very tasty for everyone in the family. Really appreciate the recipe.

12. Jules

August 11, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Just made these for lunch for my girls. Hubby and I already had one to try and we both love them!!

13. Jessica H

June 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I made these with 1.5 cups white flour and 0.5 cups wheat flour and they were heavy, but still really good! I gave them some applesauce to dip them in along scrambled some eggs with spinach and gave them this for dinner. My 19 month old twins ate them ALL up and that’s rare these days!

14. The Little Foodie

June 11, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Oh, I like that idea. And it might be good to have the sandwich pressed together in the waffle maker, too, if I can do it without getting everything everywhere.

15. Food Allergies Mom

June 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm

can you substitue the eggs? my daughter is allergic. What can be used instead?

• Ming

June 10, 2010 at 10:03 am

I’ve had a lot of luck with Ener-G Egg Replacer which can be found at most health food stores or online here: http://bit.ly/K4u7N

I’ve used it in waffles, cookies and cakes with great results.

16. Coralee

June 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm

could you make these like pancakes? I don’t have a waffle maker.

June 9, 2010 at 11:42 am

Haven’t tried it but but i’m sure you can! Let me know how they turn out!

17. NotaCoolMom.com

June 8, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Does wheat work just as well as white for this one?

June 9, 2010 at 11:42 am

Whole wheat is dense, I don’t know if it would be as fluffy as white, but if you try it let me know!

• Jennifer Kapala

October 4, 2010 at 12:31 am

I used half whole wheat and half unbleached white flour and threw in a bit of flaxseed – these are yummy!!!! My kids love them and they freeze and reheat well!

18. NotaCoolMom.com

June 8, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Going to make them in the morning!

19. Joan Bartz

June 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I can’t wait to try these! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

20. Rachael H.

June 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm

OH MMMM GGGG :P These are delicious!! Saw the recipe and got right in the kitchen to make them!!
    I subbed for olive oil though… which I’m sure doesnt really make a difference it was just what I had!!
    My (almost) 3yr old is going to LOVE these, she asks for waffles for EVERY meal!! I could give these even as a snack!
    Would be SO perfect with some egg and ham!!
    It took me LESS than 30 mins from start to finish!!
    Thanks!!