Banana Molasses Oatmeal Mash

Banana Molasses Oatmeal

I always find it funny how parents, including myself, get so hung up on only giving babies "breakfast" foods for breakfast. I'm sure that if you gave your little one Baby Beef Stew for breakfast, you wouldn't hear any complaints from them, but there's something about starting the day with traditional breakfast foods like oatmeal that seem to make more sense to most parents.

Bananas, oatmeal and molasses are all incredibly nutritious, and when mixed together, a great treat for kids. Bananas are filled with potassium, molasses are packed with calcium and iron and oatmeal is a true super food, rich in nutrients like B Vitamins, iron and fiber.

No matter what time of day I made this dish for Chloe when she was 9 to 12 months old, Kenya would beg me for some also (it's funny how sibling rivalry reveals itself at such a young age). Whether you make this for your baby, toddler or even your spouse for breakfast -- or really any time of day -- it's a creamy, sweet and delicious meal.

Banana Molasses Oatmeal Mash  (Makes 1 Baby Serving)

• 1/2 banana
  • 3 tablespoons oatmeal cereal
  • 1/2 teaspoon molasses
  • 2 tablespoons water

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mash with a fork to
  2. combine.
Banana Molasses Oatmeal Mash

Comments

1. Cynthia

March 26, 2014 at 9:15 am

Why do you cook the homemade brown rice cereal, but not the oatmeal infant cereal in this recipe? Does homemade cereal need to be cooked when you stir it into other ingredients?

2. amywels

November 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm

My 11 month old ate the whole bowl…..loved it!

3. Stefania

May 3, 2013 at 8:50 am

I used Agave and warmed it up and my 8 month old really enjoyed it!

4. Alfonzo Torrance

April 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I love bodyguard books! I think it is something about their protective but take charge attitudes. Those plus the idea that they are with the charge for such a long period, a lot can be revealed.

5. jania773

January 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Yum

6. Rachel

August 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Is that 3 tablespoons of prepared oatmeal, or dry oatmeal? Also, have you ever tried making your oatmeal powder homemade the way you do with rice? If so, is it the same water to powder ratio as with the rice?

• Denard

February 4, 2014 at 9:16 am

Omg lol sorry for that CB .can’t turn off spell ck ..question is bleached or unelbached flour ..r they the same. I made Guinness cupcakes last nite with unelbached flour (first time using it) the tops were flat. Like it didn’t puff up. They tasted great but looked sad lol thanks

7. Meghna

April 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm

My 9 month old gobbled up 2 helpings of this today! A hit!

• Shirley

February 5, 2014 at 5:19 pm

The genius store caledl, they’re running out of you.

8. Pingback: Empty Fridge, Full Table Challenge – A Week in Review | Love Bugs and Legal Pads

9. seo services toronto

January 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Have you consider starting an monthly news letter. It would take your site to its potential.

10. vanessa

December 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm

what brand of baby cereal do you buy?

11. Jana

October 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I’ve heard that molasses and corn syrup can have the same botulism risks as honey, but that’s just what the internet told me and I have 0 kids, so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

• Adam

March 26, 2013 at 5:47 am

You are right they do have the same risks. I was wondering why those ingredients were added. but if people have tried and tested it I guess there isn’t much to worry about.

12. January

October 4, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Oatmeal Cereal? Does that mean something like Gerber cereal for babies?

13. Gwenn

June 16, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Again a hands down winner in my house. Both my 1 year old and my 5 year old love this. It looks a little gross but they love it!

14. filaree way

June 14, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Is molasses okay for an 8 month old? I’ve been wanting to try it!

• Lesley

July 12, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Use of Sweeteners and Sweetened Foods
      Sweeteners (e.g., sugar, syrups), eaten alone, added to foods, or in
      prepared foods, add calories to the diet and promote the development of
      tooth decay in babies. Sweetened foods may fill up the baby without
      providing essential nutrients. Therefore, avoid feeding babies:

Commercially prepared baby food desserts,

Commercial cakes, cookies, candies, and sweet pastries,

Chocolate—some babies have allergic reactions to this food, and

Added sugar, glucose, molasses, maple syrup, and corn syrup or
      other syrups in the baby’s food, beverages, or water.

Is a resource I found regarding infant feedings @ http://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/resources/feedinginfants-ch7.pdf

• Emily M.

June 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I made it today for my 8 month old for lunch and he loved it!

• Cassandra

February 4, 2014 at 12:01 am

the trouble is with the YOLKS not the whteis, people use whteis all the time in meringues, so don’t be afraid. Plus Steph ate a bunch of RAW eggs (search the on youtube its called Steph Raw Egg Challenge) and she never got sick, so I never worry about it.But if you are really scared, just use Egg Beaters, Egg WHITES its pastuerizedAS for the other question, brownies I leave out until they get stale, i never refridge mine, they wont go bad after they are baked, they just get hard and stale.Pies, about 4 days, it will get soggy before anything else. A cake, well it depends on your filling, if it is a MOUSSE or a WHIPPED cream or something that MUST stay refridged, then well be sure to keep it in the refridge at all times. I leave buttercream cakes out for a week

15. Jenny Gunderson

June 13, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Can’t wait to try this with Beckett…I actually think I will make it for the whole fam.

16. Lisa

June 13, 2010 at 10:10 am

Do you use the baby oatmeal or regular oats (at 9-12 months), and if so- quick cooking or regular? Thanks!

June 14, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I used baby oatmeal.

17. yeni

June 13, 2010 at 12:51 am

Haven’t tried molasses yet, but my 27 month old boy LOVES baby oatmeal cereal. He still eats it even at this age. I’ve tried regular oatmeal, but he only wants the baby oatmeal. He always has it with mashed berries and bananas. Will definitely try the molases, thanks!