Strawberr-Wee Fruit Leather

If you follow weelicious on Twitter or Facebook, you may have read about my recent fruit leather obsession. My kids love fruit roll-ups and while there are some great brands out there made with just fruit, I know can save a ton of dough making it myself. While I haven't spent a lot of money trying to figure it out, I have spent a lot of time! As of today, I've made 15 (yes, fifteen!!!!) batches of strawberry leather in an effort to perfect the recipe. It's been a frustrating challenge to say the least, especially when making fruit leather seems so easy in principal. It's just fruit and heat, right? Yes and no.

Here's a breakdown of my results:

Batches 1-4: I used juicy strawberries from the farmer's market, baked them for three hours and the batch turned out perfect and chewy with a deep red color. I couldn't believe how easy it was and was very busy congratulating myself afterwards. Kenya actually found one of the batches that I hid in the closet to save for his school lunch and ate the entire thing! At least I know he got his vitamin C for the day -- I mean, week!

Batches 5-8: So much for being proud of myself. These attempts were total disasters. This time I used organic strawberries from the grocery that were much bigger and less juicy than the ones I bought from the farmer's market. Sadly, each of these batches burned when I cooked them at different times right around three hours. I was left totally frustrated.

Batches 9-12: Back to perfection using berries from the farmer's market. I kept the cooking time at three hours for each batch and I finally realized the juicier the berries, the longer they take to cook. You really have to judge the berry you are using before setting your cooking time.

Batches 13 & 14: Back to the organic grocery store berries, but this time I wised up and only baked them for only two hours, which produced one batch that burned a bit on the edges (because I didn't spread it out totally even) but another turning out perfect.

Knowing that people will have varying results, I asked friends and a bunch of weelicious readers to give the recipe a try. Everyone's outcomes were slightly different. Here's what I've determined: you have to experiment for yourself with this recipe. Everyone's berries and ovens are different, so there isn't one definitive cooking time. My best advice is to spread the mixture as evenly as possible on the baking sheet and keep a close eye on the fruit while it's cooking. Be prepared for a bit a trial and error and don't lose your cool. Hopefully when you find your ideal cooking time, you'll be knocking out batches of your own fruit leather with ease.

Strawberr-Wee Fruit Leather  (Makes 8 Long Strips)

• Cook Time: 3 hrs,

• 3 cups strawberries
  • 1 tablespoon honey

1. 1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
  2. 2. Remove the stems from the strawberries and rinse.
  3. 3. Place the strawberries and honey in a blender and puree until smooth.
  4. 4. Pour the mixture on to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread with the back of a spoon or spatula in a large rectangle (my rectangle was 11 x 15 inches) making sure that the mixture is completely even.
  5. 5. Bake for 2-3 hours (or until it’s dry and not sticky to the touch). Remember, cooking times will vary depending on how thick you spread your mixture and how much water (juice) is naturally in the fruit. *Every oven is different, so the cooking time maybe less then 2 hours if your oven tends to be hot.
  6. 6. Allow to sit and cool at room temperature. It takes several hours for the fruit to soften up (when you first take the leather out of the oven the edges will be a bit dry and crispy, but if you allow it to sit overnight it softens up nicely).
  7. 7. Cut with a knife or pizza cutter into strips or use scissors, keeping the paper on, and then roll the leather into “roll ups”.
Strawberr-Wee Fruit Leather

Comments

1. Linda

July 22, 2014 at 5:36 am

I love this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing

2. Nathalie

June 13, 2014 at 6:52 am

Do you have to use honey/other sweeteners or would it work if I just used strawberries? :)

• Catherine McCord

June 13, 2014 at 12:04 pm

When you dehydrate fruits the flavor becomes extremely concentrated. So if you have super sweet strawberries you definitely don’t need sweetener, but if they’re on the tart side the resulting fruit leather will be very tart so in that case I would add some sweetener. :)

3. Pingback: 14 Perfect for Summer Paleo Strawberry Recipes - Almost Supermom

4. Pingback: Fruit Leather | Snacks For Sophie

5. Evangeline

January 27, 2014 at 5:47 pm

This was AMAZING!!! :D I think due to the different temperatures at which our ovens cook, the best way to do this is to keep checking on the leather every 20-30mins or so. I caught mine browning at the edges at 1.5 hrs, with the centre still squishy, so I lowered the temp and kept it going for another hour and it’s turned a beautiful dark red. Love it!! I even ate the slightly browned sides. It tasted like strawberry honey crisps! :D

Thank you, Catherine! Loved fruit leather from the store as a kid.. And was always deprived by my mum cuz of the colouring.. Now i know how to make this! And my dear daughter can enjoy em! :D

6. Megan

January 5, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Just made this and it worked out well! I took some suggestions from other reviews and poured the mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat. I rotated the tray several times and dryed it for two hours. Then I turned off the oven and let the tray sit for awhile. The drying process was perfect, but I think I’ll make more mixture next time because it ended up to be thin and the edges crisped up. Thanks for the recipe!

7. Kathy

September 7, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I’ve only done it once, but I think it was too juicy, I used frozen strawberries, and had to add some water to get it to puree correctly, but I think I added too much, and it was too thin, so it spread over the whole pan, and burnt… I’m hoping to try again, so we’ll see how that goes! I baked it for 2 1/2 hours, before that the rim was done, but the middle was still liquid.

8. Pingback: Not-So Wordless Wednesday: Seasonal Eating - Raspberry Kids | Raspberry Kids

9. cyndir

June 20, 2013 at 12:56 am

I tried this recipe, as well as watched the video. The first batch didn’t come out so well, ended up burning the whole thing. In the the recipe it calls for 3 cups of strawberries but in the video, it looks like you’re using more than 3 cups. So is that meant to be 3 cups of pureed strawberries or 3 cups of dry strawberries.

June 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm

3 cups of strawberries, before pureeing! Also, it doesn’t really matter how much puree you make. The trick is to get it completely even!

10. Stephanie

May 25, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Catherine, I saw you on the chew last week and ever since then I’ve been on your website. I love it! I have an 18 month little girl and love to make everything for her…your recipes have been so helpful and your videos are helpful and so fun! Anyway I made the fruit leather this morning..grocery store organic berries…3 hours…and got a small patch of actual fruit leather..the rest burnt bitter nastiness!,! I will try again next weekend!

11. victoria alexander

May 21, 2013 at 4:15 pm

my leather is stuck to the parchment paper! how do I get it off? it looks and smells delicious but I cant eat it since I cant peel it off the paper.

12. Raya

May 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Awesome! I love everything you make!

13. Tracey

March 19, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for the recipe….first time but I think they may be burnt. I’ll have to see what its like in the morning.

14. Tammy

March 16, 2013 at 4:57 pm

These are amazing! Thanks!

• Sri

February 4, 2014 at 3:49 am

Wow! This can be one particular of the most ueusfl blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject Actually GreatIm also a specialist in this topic therefore I can understand your effort. | | | |

15. Steph

March 6, 2013 at 8:43 am

What temp did you bake them at?
    Thanks

March 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm

250F! It says in Step One!

16. Donna

January 14, 2013 at 10:05 am

Is this oven temp in degrees F or C?

January 14, 2013 at 11:08 am

Fahrenheit!

17. Erica

January 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Do you think I can take frozen strawberries (that I froze fresh last summer) out and thaw them and use for this? I am just worried that they will be too juicy?

January 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

I think they might be too juicy.

18. ctgirl

January 3, 2013 at 12:30 am

I love these fruit leather recipes. Could u please make more of them?

19. Hannah

November 4, 2012 at 7:26 pm

so excited to try some of these for my uber-picker 4 1/2 year old!

20. Betsy

October 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I have a batch of this in the oven now. I added fresh guava to the strawberries! The liquid was delicious!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. My entire apartment smells divine!

Question: Does this need to be stored in the refrigerator?

Thanks!

October 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Nope, I store it on the countertop!

21. Hannah

October 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I love this. I’m trying it now :) Can’t wait to eat some. I’m going to be pinning lots of your recipes. Thanks.

22. Jen

September 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Oh no, Epic fail on my first attempt. I used thawed frozen strawberries and a couple fresh ones, and the whole thing burned to a crisp within 1.5 hrs. The kitchen smelled so good too!

23. Lori

September 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm

So happy to find this recipe and you make it so simple and easy to do! I have never made my own fruit leather before but I am happy that I can do that now. Just think of all the chemicals you won’t be putting in your body by making your own!

24. Pingback: Fruit Leathers | CulinaryChat

25. Pingback: Fruit Leather | Josie Girl Blog

26. Mo

July 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I have been struggling to get apricot leather to work in my dehydrator. (I pureed apricots, honey, dates and water) I had no problem with raspberry, it was perfect, but the apricot sticks to the parchment paper each time. Any ideas?

27. Ruth

July 23, 2012 at 7:49 am

Made one batch using parchment paper and one batch on silpat. The silpat worked PERFECTLY. The parchment permamently stuck and only after dampening the paper was I able to scrape any fruit off. Read somewhere else that leathers work best on silpat or plastic wrap (it won’t melt at low temps), but for parchment, the paper needs to be well oiled first.

• Ruth

September 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

So I’ve now made this recipe 3 times, have finally figured out how to make a perfect batch with my oven, and my 5-yr old tells me “I only like them a little, don’t make them anymore!” Turns out he doesn’t care for the bumpy bits (strawberry seeds). Grrr… back to the drawing board to figure out how to either strain out the seeds or what other berries to use (I include applesauce in my version).

28. Sara

July 3, 2012 at 1:06 am

I’m on my fifth batch & you are right – they all turn out a bit differently. I’m wondering though, if I should take it out of the oven when it is not “wet” or sticky even if I can still feel liquid underneath the top layer? Will it harden up out of the oven? There seem to be big pockets of “wetness” underneath the top layer.

July 3, 2012 at 10:02 am

If it is still liquid or mushy underneath the top layer then it isn’t finished yet! Also try spreading it more evenly. Isn’t experimenting fun?!

29. catherine

June 18, 2012 at 10:02 am

Oh No! Fruit leather can be a little tricky, and it takes some getting used to. Did you make them in the oven or the dehydrator? How long did you let it cook? How thick was your layer of puree? It should be fairly thin, but not see-through.

30. Rebecca

June 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Well, my first try resulted in a batch burned around the edge, about 4 inches, and the center still almost liquid under the surface skin. Don’t think I’ll try this again…can’t afford to waste money on berries that end up going to waste.

31. Pingback: STRAWBERRY FRUIT ROLL-UPS | VEGGIE GRETTIE

32. kristap

February 27, 2012 at 10:52 am

i cant wait to try this was thinking tho what about if you used cookie cutters on it rather then just strips?

February 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm

That would be so cute!

33. Pingback: [refrigerator|refrigerators|fridge|refrigerator|refrigerator|refrigerator|refrigerator|click here|fridge|refrigerator]

34. Pingback: info unik

35. Pingback: benefits of fruitbenefits of papayaFruit benefit

36. SaraJacobs

November 22, 2011 at 12:40 am

i just tried making the leather fruit with 2 big boxes of strawberries and the fruit is now crispy and stuck to the paper. So bummed. I am pretty sure it was parchment paper…
    oh, i cooked it for 3-4 hours because it was sticky in the middle but dry on the edges. argh!

37. Andrea

October 6, 2011 at 10:25 am

Have these in the oven now… been in just under 2 hours and they’re getting the “black spots” of burn as people above posted about. I used sprayed parchment. I’ll try again and use the plastic cling wrap I think. My fruit mixture is apples, frozen strawberries, a little honey.

38. Pingback: What to do with all that leftover baby food… « simonscookbook

39. Melissa

August 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Okay, tried this yesterday. I got it all set up, put it in our old wedgewood oven for about 45 minutes before we decided we wanted to go to the farmer’s market (again) So I turned the oven off, figured I’d turn it back on and do the rest of the drying later. When I came home about 2 hours later, it was dryer than when we left. I decided to just let it sit in my oven overnight and it was totally dry before I went to bed! This morning it is perfect and ready to roll. I’m going to try it next time just sitting in the oven without baking at all. Fair warning, my oven is old and the pilot light keeps the small oven portion warmer than modern ovens do!

40. Pam

August 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I think that I left them in too long. As it is crispy:( I want to try it again, but do not want to waste anymore strawberries.

41. Jodi

June 30, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Attempted this two weeks ago with strawberries from the farmers market and honey…it just burned in my oven. I may have used a larger pan and so the layer was maybe too thin. I just put my second attempt into the oven with more fruit this time. Right after I did this I realized were going to make a 5 hour trip tonight to Michigan…I’ll have to somehow bring the leather on the parchment with us in the car so that it can soften up over night! Hmmm!

42. grayson

June 28, 2011 at 11:36 am

look on starwars blog.com on the zilo beast for my story. and this was good(not me !).

43. Denise

June 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm

We tried this with red cherries that we picked from the orchard and agave syrup instead of honey. Worked out really good. I agree that getting the layer as even as possible is best. Great recipe!

44. Katherine

April 26, 2011 at 6:23 am

I Just made a batch with wax paper not realizing that I would not be able to get it separated from the paper…I guessI should have used parchment paper…..it is stuck to the paper….guess I will be going back to the farmers market to get more berries….did anyone else have this problem???

• Kristen

April 30, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Katherine, you definitely don’t want to use wax paper. The wax will melt! Some recipes suggest plastic saran wrap, but I don’t suggest that either because of the potential for toxicity. Parchment paper works very well!

45. Kristen

April 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I baked four sheets of leather this weekend with mixed results. The most successful batch resulted when instead of spreading the puree onto the sheet with a spatula, I POURED the puree onto the sheet. I then held the parchment paper in place as I gently tilted the tray back and forth to achieve a thin, even layer. I found that with the spatula spreading method, I could never achieve a perfectly even layer which caused burning and other inconsistencies. The batch that I used the pouring and tilting technique had a consistent thickness and did not burn at all. It looked totally “perfect” like store bought leather and was soft enough to roll! It really is true that you must let the leather sit overnight to soften up before attempting to roll it.

• Brixie

April 19, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Thank you Kristen! I’m about the make a batch right now and I was wondering about the best way to spread it.

46. Annie

April 17, 2011 at 9:17 am

These turned out great, thanks for the recipe! How do u recommend storing them? Do they need to be refrigerated?

47. berkeley heights NJ clown

March 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm

What a great post, glad to be an alumni!

48. Jen Staffeldt

February 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm

When is your cookbook coming out? I’ll be FIRST in line to purchase. Can’t wait :)

49. Brianna

December 7, 2010 at 8:53 pm

what about watermelon?? would that be too liquidy?

50. Melissa

December 3, 2010 at 12:21 am

Hi there! We love fruit leather at our house, too! I just saw your facebook posting about using pomegranates…any chance you could explain a little bit about what you did? Did you use the juice and the seeds? Did you just puree the seeds? What did you do about those pesky little bits of white membrane? So excited to try this!

Melissa

December 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I pureed the seeds, i did the same exact thing like the strawberries so just follow those directions and sub pomegranate for strawberries :)

51. Sarah

November 9, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I first wanted to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your website!! You have really helped me in the kitchen with my family! Thank-you for doing this!! I wondered if grapes would work or do you think it is too watery?

52. Lisa

October 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Now, I’m getting ready to do my second and third batches. Fig leather and blueberry/raspberry leather. So excited about how much my kids love this. And, it’s so easy to do.

53. Lisa

October 23, 2010 at 11:58 am

This was absolutely AMAZING! I cannot believe how good it was. I whipped up a batch last night of dried mango, dried apricot, and raisins and dried in a 250 degree oven for 1.5 hrs. My kids ate it for breakfast and lunch today and I even love it. Thanks so much for this idea! So easy.

54. Pippa

October 18, 2010 at 10:12 pm

This works well with dried fruit as well. You can buy bags of dried fruit, just whizz up and it forms a sticky “dough”. You can roll this out between two layers of parchment paper, peel off the top one and pop in the oven as above. Probably will take less time – I do it for 1.5 hours.

55. Sara

September 5, 2010 at 6:43 am

I have made 2 batches, spread the puree evenly and after 1 hour checked every 15 minutes, the edges still burn a lot and the middle is gooey. I had to continue cooking it to get the middle done but then the bottoms also burnt. I also live in an apartment and have a really old oven so that could be part of the problem. Any suggestions?

• Gaby@GabHousewifeChronicles

July 16, 2012 at 3:40 pm

You can also place a baking sheet with bread slices one side another, so that you can identify your oven’s hot spots and relocate the baking sheet?

September 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I would have to say that it would be your oven. You also may have a hot spot in your oven – try rotating the sheet tray every 30 minutes and set the temp lower about 25 degrees less and see if that helps. You have to get to know your oven and test it out. Try spreading it thinner too.

56. Heather May

September 3, 2010 at 2:40 pm

My sister and I have been wanting to make green roll ups. My kids love spinach and kale blended into fruit smoothies, so we thought we would try it in a roll up. Have you ever tried this? With Halloween coming, this is a good time to try it on the kids.

September 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I agree! Will have to test it! But I Already have a smoothie with spinach for halloween coming up! :)

57. Margaret

September 1, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I’m on my second batch. The first batch got overcooked on the edges and not cooked enough in the middle. The second batch is in the oven but there are black spots appearing in places even though the rest of it is doing fine. Do you know what might be causing the black spots?

September 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Not so sure about the black spots. Your oven maybe set high even if it is at the right temp, since every oven is different. Try lowering the temp about 25 degrees less. Also it may take longer so just take out the leather when you touch it and it is dry. Your going to have to watch it a bit near the end.

58. Joelle

August 31, 2010 at 9:54 am

The parchment paper seemed to absorb the liquid so it didn’t spread evenly, I had enough left to do two sheets, so I used the silicon mat. While the parchment paper one burned and will not left off, the silicon mat one was almost perfect- next time I will not cook so long. My 13 month old loved it, as did the whole family!

59. Aimee

August 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I am half lebanese and we have something similar made out of apricots. I know apricots are much thicker and you probably couldn’t make a good puree. What would you suggest adding to loosen up the the consistency of the apricots?

August 23, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Just some water would be fine :)

60. Erika

August 21, 2010 at 1:10 am

Do you think peaches or apples would work?

August 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Yes! even blueberries and raspberries!

• Monique

March 7, 2014 at 3:15 am

Dumb question. Would you use the same amount of blueberries for this or add more??

61. Kandus

August 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Hi, just wondered if this could be done with frozen strawberries that have been thawed..I have a whole bunch from the berry farm but didn’t think of this until after I made jam and muffins and froze the rest! ??

August 19, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Yes it can :) just thaw and puree!

62. Jessica

August 13, 2010 at 11:41 am

Sounds wonderful! Do you think I could swap out the honey for agave nectar? Is it a 1:1 ratio if you swap it?

August 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Yes you can :) it is the same ratio

63. Bethany

August 13, 2010 at 11:27 am

Made this the other day and my daughter ate it up and then the next day decided she didn’t want it but she is fickle. I will give it to her again later and see how it goes.

Only the center of mine came out edible, I probably had to cut half away and throw it out. I will lower the temp as my oven always runs hot and maybe cut the cooking time by half an hour. Also, I think I made too much of the mix and my layer was too thick. Ah, well trial and error. It is so much fun to play around with this stuff.

I have a few more of your recipes I am going to test out tonight. I am so happy I found your website!

64. Jenni

August 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I tried out this recipe last night and although my first attempt was unsuccessful, my second came out perfectly (reduced cooking time in my oven was the trick). I let it cool overnight and I am really looking forward to going home to share it with my son. :) Thank you!

65. kristin

July 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I am soooo excited that I came across your site. I was chosen to host a home party by healthy child healthy world and I was looking for organic foods to serve that would inspire the mom’s to make at home. I honestly cannot wait to make your recipes, especially this one, it was really easy and tastes amazing! Thank you for all your work and devotion!!! I hope everyone catches on to your healthy food movement :)

66. jamie

July 2, 2010 at 7:25 am

I was wondering if you could use one of the reusable Silicon mats instead of the parchment paper? I cant wait to try this my daughter absolutly loves fruit snack stuff! So excited!!

July 6, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Yes you can! :) They are amazing!

67. Joann

June 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Can wax paper be used instead of parchment paper??

June 25, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Sadly, no sorry, it will burn..but you can get parchment at any grocery store.

68. andrea

June 23, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I know you said the juicier berries take longer, so you just have to watch it, but what do you think the starting consistency should be like? Is it very runny or is it more like a jarred applesauce consistency?

• FaTox

February 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm

After examining a few of the blog posts in your wsbtiee now, and I really like your means of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark wsbtiee list and can be checking again soon. Pls check out my wsbtiee as well and let me know what you think.

June 24, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I wouldn’t be able to tell because it depends upon the fruit. My consistency was just a thick puree of strawberries, the weren’t runny. I guess you can say like applesauce but a little more thin.

69. Amber

June 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm

OK I’m so excited about this I’m gonna burst! Quick question – does step 6 happen in the fridge, or on the counter? Covered, or uncovered? THANKS!!! THIS IS GREAT!!!

70. Moll

June 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I got so excited when I say this! Can’t wait to try it. We have 5 kids and I know they’ll love this!

A local store is have a GREAT sale on strawberries. I’d love to stock-up. Do you think I could puree them and then freeze some extra batches tell I’m ready to cook them? Thanks!

June 24, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Sure! :)

71. Lauren

June 22, 2010 at 8:53 am

Since these are completely all natural, do you have to refrigerate them? How long will they keep fresh after making them?

June 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm

If you refrigerate them, they will get more moist. Just put them in Ziploc bags or a Tupperware for 2 weeks to a month but I doubt they will last so long – we love it!!

72. Betsy

June 22, 2010 at 6:00 am

Made some last night. I must not have spread it as evenly as I had thought because the edges began to brown before the middle was set. I pulled it out of the oven, let it sit over night, cut the done portion into strips, placed the undone portion back into the oven this morning…I will call it a success. The true success is that the kids, and my hubbie, loved it!

June 22, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I had to do the same thing this last time that I had made them! And I have made them over 10 times! Everyone loves it – they can’t get enough of it!!

73. Tammy

June 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm

How is this stored after it is made? How long is it good for? Can’t wait to try it! Just wondering if small batches are best. Thanks alot.

June 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm

You can store them in ziplock bags or tupperware. They are good for about 2 weeks to a month if they even last that long! :)

• Justyna

September 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm

No refrigeration required?

74. Holly N.

June 21, 2010 at 9:51 am

Do you think this is for older children and not toddlers? I have an 18 month old and thought this sounded wonderful for her but didn’t know if it would pose a choking hazard. Has Chloe eaten any?

Thanks!

• Betsy

June 22, 2010 at 5:57 am

I just gave some to my 9 month old. He loved it! He has no teeth, but eats only table food. Only you know what will be good for your own child. Use your best judgement and think about how you present it to them to optimize success. I broke it up into very small pieces for my son. I hope your daughter likes it!

• Kristin

September 23, 2010 at 7:11 am

These do have honey in them, and I was always told that kids have to a year old to have honey.

• joyful8581

February 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

My pediatrician said it was fine to give things with honey in them to my son before he was 1 – as long as it was from a reputable source (most non-raw ones are over processed and don’t prevent a problem). BUT, that’s just my crunchy pediatrician’s opinion :)

• Amy V.

June 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

My 14 month old loves fruit leather, but he has all his teeth and is accustom to textured and chewy foods. I started out breaking it up on his tray, but now he eats it on his own when we are out and about. I like two parts strawberries and one part pears.

June 21, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Ya she’ll eat it so fast! As long as they have teeth, they can eat it. If you are worried about choking – just give it to them in small pieces :)

75. Susan

June 21, 2010 at 8:19 am

Hello! What are some other good fruits to use here-would rasberries/blueberries be too tart? What about mango? As long as it’s blendable in the cuisinart is it pretty much a go? Thanks!

June 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm

You can definitely use mangos! – You can always just add a little more honey to the puree and then put them in the oven. Anything pureed will work :)

76. Gwen

June 21, 2010 at 7:52 am

This is awesome! I have been making fruit leather for sometime, but I’ve only used apples and not berries. I would always have to add a little water to get the mix a little juicier. Also, I’ve never used the oven, which is what I love about THIS recipe (besides the berries!). However, if batches continue to burn or get a little more crisp than you’d like, use a dehydrator. I have a 4 tray dehydrator and keep them in the fridge. I’m trying it this way tomorrow! :)

• Joni B

September 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Can you share your recipe with the apples?

June 21, 2010 at 2:14 pm

How long does it take it in the dehydrator? That is such a great idea but most people don’t have a dehydrator – which is why we used the oven. I think I’m going to use the dehydrator and see how they turn out too!

• Elizabeth Fulmer

January 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm

when you do try and dehydrated so tell us how it goes because my oven is crazy, and would probably not work.

• Emily @ Random Recycling

January 25, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I made the recipe in the dehydrator and cooked it overnight for about 11 hours. It came out perfect on the first try.