Pumpernickel Tuna Melt

I must admit that I spend WAY too much time in the grocery. When you're on a first name basis with all the cashiers, managers and hard working staff behind the counters-that's a tell tale sign. Not only do I probably know the location of every ingredient on every shelf, I have probably used most of them, too. That was until last week when I realized that for too long I had been walking by the cutest, most tasty bread that could not be any more kid-friendly if it tried. Mini pumpernickel toasts can be found hiding in the bread section of your grocery and since they're mini in size, they're perfect for little hands (and great for parents trying to control their portion size). When I was a kid, every time my parents took me to a deli, I ordered a sandwich on pumpernickel because I loved it's dark color and slightly sweet, rich flavor. Tasting this bread brought back great childhood memories.

The other great thing about pumpernickel is that it keeps fresh in the refrigerator longer than most other breads, so once you have it on hand you can make this recipe most any time. I'm betting you already have the rest of the ingredients stocked in your pantry, so throwing these sandwiches together for lunch should be a breeze. I think I'll make some tomorrow before I head off to the grocery again!

Pumpernickel Tuna Melt  (Serves 2- Makes 4 Mini Sandwiches)

• 1 5 oz can tuna (i prefer light or chunk white tuna packed in water)
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped fine
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon mayo
  • 4 slices cheddar cheese
  • 8 pumpernickel toasts (aka cocktail pumpernickel bread)

1. 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
  2. 2. Place one fourth of the tuna salad on one side of the pumpernickel bread.
  3. 3. Top the tuna with a slice of cheddar cheese and close the sandwich with another slice of toast.
  4. 4. Cook in a panini press for 3 minutes on medium heat or in a saute pan for 2 minutes on each side until toasted and golden.
Pumpernickel Tuna Melt

Comments

1. mary

April 26, 2014 at 9:58 am

we love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

2. Sandy

April 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Hopefully not a dumb question… My children have a late school lunch (1:00) how would u suggest keeping it at a safe temp? (spoilage)

April 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I would put an ice pack in the lunch :)

3. Heather

October 3, 2010 at 5:52 pm

We ate these for lunch the other day. My 2yo son LOVED them!

4. Alyssa

September 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Have you tried canned salmon? I have tried many varieties, but Bear and Wolf from Costco is amazing! not fishy at all….not dyed………and is Alaska wild :-) MY girls LOVE it and I love that I can get them to eat salmon any day of the week! I also use avocado sometimes instead of mayo to hold it together – not sure about panini style, but very yummy.

5. JP

September 8, 2010 at 11:09 am

There are several recipes for vegan mayo – here’s one example: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/sauce/vegan-mayonnaise-substitute-recipe.html

6. Katie Newell

September 7, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Amy and Tiffany- use caution with canola oil! Unless organic, it is probably made with genetically modified ingredients! According to studies, gmo corn, soy and canola has been linked to third generation infertity!

7. Amy

September 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Tiffany, they do make vegan mayonnaise that is soy or canola oil based. Not quite the same, but it will do the trick.

8. Tiffany

September 7, 2010 at 5:07 pm

My daughter is allergic to eggs and can’t have mayo… she can have eggs baked in things but not straight up…. do you have suggestions for a substitute for the mayo?

• Alyssa

September 26, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I use avoacado sometimes instead of mayo to “hold it together”. :-)

September 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm

You can get vegan mayo at any health foods store :)

9. KD

September 7, 2010 at 3:20 pm

yes, yes, yes! i’m putting these mini slices on my shopping list right now!

10. Brianne

September 7, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I love this idea — I can’t believe I never thought of it, either! Every year at Christmastime, we drive up to a Swedish specialty store about an hour from our house to get the things we need for the family smorgasbord, and we always pick up some Swedish cheese and some of this bread from their deli. The kids love it! GREAT idea for my big guy’s favorite tuna sandwiches.