Sweet muffins are so yesterday, it’s all about savory muffins and these Ham and Cheese Muffins are exactly the reason why. Not only are they packed with protein making them a great choice for school lunch, but they’re also the perfect size to fit inside a lunch (or work) box. Served with tons of vibrant vegetables, kale chips and a Mini Babybel snack cheese and you’ve got a complete meal that’s perfect for this Rewind Wednesday!
I have a hard time describing the anxiety and frustration I feel in the morning when I have a million things to do but still need to feed the kids something substantial and relatively healthy. Muffins have become the breakfast mainstay of our freezer lately. With a family full of busy schedules and little time in the mornings for a leisurely breakfast, I've resorted to pre-preparing an arsenal of foods that are easy to pull out and reheat for just times like these.
Ham and Cheese Muffins are not only delicious and perfect for little hands to hold, they're a great way for kids to get protein and carbohydrates all in one, along with fiber from the whole wheat flour.
Make a batch of these muffins on a Sunday afternoon, freeze them and you'll be so relieved every morning you have to race out the door but need to feed the kids first. You may even find yourself heating up one or two extra for yourself!
This post contains affiliate links for which I receive payment. While I receive compensation as a brand ambassador, all opinions are my own.
Ham and Cheese Muffins (Makes 18 Muffins)
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 Cups Buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Ham, chopped fine
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, oil and maple syrup and stir to combine.
4. Add the buttermilk to the egg mixture and stir.
5. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and stir until just combined.
6. Fold in the cheese and ham.
7. Scoop the batter 2/3 of the way up into greased muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes (15 minutes if using mini muffin cups).
8. Cool on a wire rack and serve.
Honey or Butter