Ham & Cheese Muffins

Ham And Cheese Muffins

I have a hard time describing the anxiety and frustration I feel in the morning when I have a million things to do but still need to feed the kids something substantial and relatively healthy. Muffins have become the breakfast mainstay of our freezer lately. With a family full of busy schedules and little time in the mornings for a leisurely breakfast, I've resorted to pre-preparing an arsenal of foods that are easy to pull out and reheat for just times like these.

Ham and Cheese Muffins are not only delicious and perfect for little hands to hold, they're a great way for kids to get protein and carbohydrates all in one, along with fiber from the whole wheat flour.

Make a batch of these muffins on a Sunday afternoon, freeze them and you'll be so relieved every morning you have to race out the door but need to feed the kids first. You may even find yourself heating up one or two extra for yourself!

Ham & Cheese Muffins  (Makes 18 Muffins)

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 cup ham, chopped fine

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Combine the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, oil and maple syrup and stir to combine.
  4. 4. Add the buttermilk to the egg mixture and stir.
  5. 5. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour and stir until just combined.
  6. 6. Fold in the cheese and ham.
  7. 7. Scoop the batter 2/3 of the way up into greased muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes (15 minutes if using mini muffin cups).
  8. 8. Cool on a wire rack and serve.

Accompaniments: Honey or Butter

Ham & Cheese Muffins

Comments

1. Pingback: School Lunch: Who’s Holding the Bag? | Skip's Testing Range

2. jenninyc

August 10, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Big hit at our house!

3. Marlene

August 10, 2014 at 11:04 am

I’ve tried this before, way back when, and they were not great, no one ate them. So this time I DOUBLED the ham AND the cheese (aged cheddar), added onions sauteed in chicken stock, added dry mustard, doubled the honey AND the salt and added a half cup extra buttermilk and…. still very disappointing. No one likes them. I think this is just not the recipe for my family.

4. Jennifer Coleman

July 18, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Hi, is this version the updated recipe? Really want to make these for my toddler, but want to make the updated one only. Sounds yummy!

5. MHTeach

June 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

When it comes to food, my toddler is very particular on what he likes and dislikes. These muffins were a HIT! He ate an entire muffin and then asked for another. I was left shocked and so happy at the same time. Thank you!

6. anoushka44

January 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm

If I sub ham for turkey bacon do I cook the bacon first? ( hubby doesn’t eat ham)

7. Amber

November 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

If I only have whole wheat flour, would I just use that in place of the all-purpose and in addition to the whole wheat flour already called for?

8. Pingback: Muffins de Jamón y Queso | Once Tips

9. Pingback: dad likes food | Breakfast Cookies and Muffins!

10. Jessica

October 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I made these on a Sunday, just like the author proposes – man are they scrumptious right out of the oven! I doubled the syrup and cheese like some others suggested. However, when I went to reheat them on Monday morning I was really disappointed with how dry they had become. I microwaved them for about 10 seconds after they had been kept in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow I am going to try toasting them instead and adding some butter – not a healthy strategy but something has to be done about it – I have about 40 mini muffins in the freezer that need to be eaten!

11. Janna

October 14, 2013 at 7:48 am

Do you think I could eliminate the eggs? Son is allergic….

• Rosemary

November 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Hi. My son had egg white allergies. You can leave out the eggs, in my experience muffins are just more crumbly. You also could substitute flaxsed and water.

12. Samantha Hooper

September 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

How long do these keep for? Also do they freeze well? It’s just my husband, daughter and me and I don’t think things to go to waste.

September 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm

They’ll keep for about a week in the fridge! Freeze for up to 4 months!

13. Samantha Hooper

September 30, 2013 at 2:41 pm

How long do these keep for? Also do they freeze well? It’s just my husband, daughter and I so I don’t want anything to go to waste.

14. Bonny Lee

September 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I found a similar recipe recently that added grated zucchini and a finely chopped onion. I think that would add some moisture, and help them not be so dry. Other than that, the recipes are very similar.

15. Lauren

September 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I am wanting to make these for my daughter but would like to try them with oat flour. Any idea how I would successfully swap that for the all purpose? They look delicious!

September 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I haven’t tried these with oat flour, but I would love to know your results if you do so!

16. Lisa

September 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Thanks Catherine!
    I just baked a batch and they are delicious! I did double the cheese and syrup per previous comments and they are delightful! I also used organic ham and added basil. My twin 16 mos boys love them!!

17. Jocelyn

August 12, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Do you know,the calories in these as full sized muffins?

• Panther

February 1, 2014 at 12:56 am

Working for an obstetrician would be a very ietnresting job. I currently work doing admissions and dispositions as well in my job and one thing I do, is take down all the information on the babies being born. Its amazing how many babies are born in just one month at the hospital, I do a minimum of 20 babies a month, and sometime the unfortunate part of documentation on babies who do not make it. Its a stressful field as well and you really have to practice empathy for those parents who have to deal with things going wrong.

18. Chrissy

July 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I realize this might seem like a silly question, but what could I substitute for ham? I don’t eat meat, but a savory muffin sounds intriguing. I could try a meat alternative, I suppose, but have you ever made veggie and cheese muffins? Thanks in advance! :)

19. Emily

April 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Wow! These are AWESOME! I did as the other reviewers reccommended and added extra sharp cheddar cheese, extra ham and extra buttermilk. They turned out so moist and tasty! My two toddlers gobbled them up. I serve warm with just a little honey spread on top. Thanks again for another amazing recipe!

20. Beth

April 13, 2013 at 10:49 am

I just made this recipe and holy cow, is it delicious!! After reading some comments that said the muffins were a bit dry and bland, I made the following adjustments: 1 1/4c APF, 3/4c whole wheat flour, a sprinkling of dried mustard (not sure exact measurents, maybe 1/8tsp?), and I used honey because I didn’t have any syrup. I made mini muffins, and my hubs and I loved it! Very savory and delicious. My 16 month old daughter hasn’t had one yet, so I can’t speak for kid approval, but the adults of the house at least love them!

(Also, this is my new favorite site! It’s helped me out of many a tight spot when it’s come to feeding my picky toddler)

21. Angela

January 29, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I added spinach and used garlic salt instead of regular salt. They just came out of the oven and they are great! I will try them out on my one year old tomorrow. I expect they’ll be a hit!

• Cesalyn

February 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm

above. Score should be close to 90k. 2. One may have two oopitns with the second BB. High arc to go down the left inside of the main structure if an opening is at the top. This shot can be lined up with the BB slightly touching the stem of the sling. Or a high arc to go down the main structure more towards the middle or middle right side of the center to take out the right side tnt and its structure. Leaving a very small gap between the BB and sling’s base can get the bird into that area if the top blocks do not jam it up to much. 3. BB to clear out left inside of main structure with a high arc. There seems to be a sweet spot above that level side tnt inside the main structure. I was able to hit it about 3 times (out of about 3,000) where the BB went all the way to the bottom and took out everything. 4. BB = same as #3 5. BB = bonus bird 6. BB = bonus bird This level was a challenge to gain 1k. There has to be a better technique to get higher points. Was able to get the pigs with three birds remaining but the scores were in the 207k range and less.

22. Pingback: Savory Muffins | Healthy Food Recipe

23. beth

September 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm

This is the third recipe of yours that I’ve made in three days….all are incredible! I subbed whole wheat pastry flour and threw in some scallions that I needed to use up. What a great recipe! Also just got your cookbook and can’t wait to dive in.

24. Sarah Infante

September 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

This recipe looks fantastic even for lunch! The most common complaint I hear from my school-age son is that he never gets anything FUN in his lunchbox. However this recipe has it all; meat, eggs, cheese, milk, and wheat flour. Add a cup of applesauce and it’s really a complete meal!

25. Pingback: Toddler Food (12-18 mo) September 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

26. Lara

August 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Yes, I’d agree on bland and dry for this recipe. I used lots of ham and cheese but it just tasted like a less tasty Bisquick-like biscuit.

While everything else I’ve made from Weelicious is dee-lish, I vote this one off.

• Raneem

February 4, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Hey! I like that lens too. I bought it about a month ago. The only prbelom I’ve been having is that it tends to be hard to manually focus. (At least, for me anyway!) I hardly ever autofocus so I have to make sure I get it focused after I take a picture. I hope you are loving Nashville!

27. Di H.

July 31, 2012 at 12:41 am

I think this was a good recipe. Perhaps the children like them because they are bland since a lot of their food is more bland as they have more heightened taste buds than adults and can probably taste the ham & cheese better or perhaps some don’t like it because they are used to more sugary foods. one can never tell. I love plain foods because I want the flavor of the food itself but my husband is always try to dr. it up with hot sauce or steak sauce or mustard. Different flavors for different folks!

28. Pingback: Beyond PB&J: 7 back-to-school lunch box ideas | Buy Online Shop Now

29. Pingback: Beyond PB&J: 7 back-to-school lunch box ideas | My Family Blog

30. Jenn Fleet

July 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Can I use rice flour instead of white/whole wheat? I have a gluten free kid….

31. Maura Riordan

March 29, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Just made these with a load of leftover ham. Used extra ham and cheese from the get go. Once the batter was done, I felt it was thick so I read reviews and decided ti dump in more buttermilk and syrup. We tested the first batch and decided they were rather good. I just added more syrup to pump up the flavor profile for the kiddos and the next batch was great. Thank you Catherine, I have been hooked since I first tried your veggie pancakes. Also, I agree that we need to tell the kids what’s in their food so they associate zucchini with yummy.

32. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday – Going Green! | The Road Best Traveled

33. Pingback: Buy your Angry Birds Gifts here! We have plush dolls, shirts, headphones, and much more!

34. Pingback: raisin bran muffins,bran muffins,muffins

35. Julia

October 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Yumm! I just made these to have for breakfast tomorrow, so I don’t know yet how the kids will like them, but the one I just tested (okay, the 2 I just tested) was pretty delicious. After reading some of the other comments about the muffins being a little bland, I added a little more salt, some pepper, and I sauteed about 1/2 c. of onion and folded that in with the ham & cheese. I think they’d be pretty good with some herbs in there too!

36. Caroline

October 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I made these for my kids lunches. I didn’t have whole wheat flour, so I substituted half a cup of flour for wheat germ. It has a good base flavor, but they are too bland for my family. I will make them again though as soon as I decided how to better season them. I added spinach as well. Next time I’ll also add Parmesan and see if that adds a better cheese flavor. Good recipe to improve upon though. :-)

37. Pamela

October 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

I made these last night and served them to my almost-4-year-old this morning with honey. He inspected the first one, gave it a little taste, then GOBBLED it down. The only thing I did differently is add maple/agave syrup as I didn’t have pure maple. Delicious muffins, thank you! Keeping this recipe for sure. Nice that it makes enough for me to throw some in the freezer.

38. Kate

August 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm

The secret to these muffins is drizzling honey on top!! They tasted a tad bland (but still good) over here, too…but once you put a thin smear of honey on them, all the flavours seemed to pop right out! Next time I will use either a sharp/old cheddar or 1/2 parmesan, 1/2 cheddar for a stronger cheese taste. Oh– I also added a cup of raw shredded spinach for extra nutrition ;)

39. Isabella

July 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I just made a batch of zucchini muffins and these ones. I really liked the zucchini ones! These ones are a bit bland! So many of Catherine’s recipes I’ve tried have been so wonderful, but this one is not so much. I haven’t tried eating it with honey though – so maybe that will help.

Catherine, you have such great recipes on your site and I come to it so often, don’t worry that a lot of people didn’t care too much for this one – hey no one is perfect…

But, when you get a chance, can you make some edits to this recipe to make it more flavorful and less dry?

Thank you!

40. Tiffany

May 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I made these this afternoon hoping they would be dinner for later tonight after we get back from swim team practice – it’s always such a time crunch. I have to admit I am pretty disappointed. They are very bland and I don’t think anyone will eat them. Now I’m wondering what to make for dinner again…

May 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I’m sorry to hear that, we actually put some honey on ours and it makes a huge difference, its very good. We actually eat these for breakfast :)

41. Heidi

April 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

i made these and wasn’t too fond of it. it’s very dry and bland.

42. Paula

April 26, 2011 at 5:15 am

I am so excited to see this recipe! We have left over ham from Easter lunch and my husband just asked me yesterday what we were going to do with it- now I know!! Thanks for another great recipe :)

43. Karen

April 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I made these using maple chicken sausage and applesauce in place of oil. They’re ok. I drizzles with maple syrup too! I think adding apple would makes these perfect! Thanks for the recipe Catherine :)

44. Pingback: Ham and Cheese muffins | Cutie Pie Daycare – learning through play

45. Sarah

March 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I made these muffins this morning for the kids at my home daycare and they ate them all up.

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes you post on here.

• Loubna

February 2, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I just saw your sweater at Anthropologie yeaserdty! I love all the crazy buttons on it. It looks great on you!Mmm, pumpkin muffins with cheesecake filling!!Happy Thanksgiving to you! :-)

46. Pris

March 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Has anyone added spinach to this?? If so, how much and how did it turn out? I’m always trying to sneak veggies in my dishes (for my daughter and me)

March 2, 2011 at 7:27 pm

If you decide toss in spinach, I would add about a cup of frozen chopped spinach (which is defrosted) and make sure you strain all the water out of the spinach or else the extra liquid will effect the thickness of the batter.

• Pris

March 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm

So I just made these muffins, and I have to say, BRAVO!! I tweaked somethings:
        2 1/4 cups of flour instead of 2.5
        a little over 1 cup of cheese
        1/8 cup of canola oil
        12 tbsp of flax seed
        1/2 of cup of squeezed out spinach
        1.5 tsp of dijon mustard
        1.5 tsp of greek yogurt

I thought the flavor would be too powerful, esp looking at the batter but they came out so light and fluffy and YUM!

47. Ivette

January 29, 2011 at 10:37 pm

If I wanted to add a veggie puree to this would I cut back on any of the liquid ingredients?

48. Ashley

January 23, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I don’t know what all the commotion is about, I thought this recipe was great – as usual! It’s a perfect basic recipe that can be added to and changed up as needed. I personally didn’t need to change a thing and I wouldn’t want to add much more to it. My sometimes picky little 2 1/2 year old was perfectly happy with this creation, which he helped me throw together. Many thanks and keep up the fabulous work!

49. Anna

January 1, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I was nervous about these because of the reviews, but I had a bunch of ham to use up so I went for it. I used some of the suggestions above – Tbsp of dijon mustard, a spoonful of yogurt, a little less flour – and I also used applesauce instead of oil because I have a bunch of it that needs to get used too. The cook time was much longer – I’m guessing because of the yogurt. But they are sooo yummy!!! Esp with honey on top. :) I am freezing these for those weekend days when daddy feeds my 15 month old breakfast so mommy can sleep in. I love having something healthier than toaster waffles handy for these mornings!

50. Lina

November 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

I made them last week, I took all the suggestions given =), a little less flour, more cheese (sharp cheddar), a ts of mustard and a big one of plain yogurt, they are delicious!!!!
    my only problem was that when hot they stick to the baking cups, I wanted to try them right out of the oven! so now I thaw them, take them out of the bak cup and reheat.
    Thanks Katherine!!

51. Natalie

October 25, 2010 at 9:24 am

I was skeptical about making these after reading the comments but I gave it a try yesterday! LOVE THEM and my 15 month did as well! The only thing I did different was add a little more cheese. I am new to the site and am enjoying it . Thanks for all the great recipes!

52. Pingback: weelicious « the concierge mom

53. Penelope

October 9, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I made these yesterday. Yum! After reading all the responses I decided to add 1/2 cup plain full-fat yogurt, also increase the ham and cheddar. They were moist and the tot (and hubby) loved them. I think that some seasonings would help. I am eager to see what alternations Catherine comes up with. Thank you!

54. Jessica

October 7, 2010 at 8:57 am

Catherine,

Do these need to be stored in the fridge or freezer instead of on the counter?

October 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I put mine in the fridge and some in the freezer for later :)

55. Rachelle

October 4, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Mother of 1 1/2 year old twin boys and making my second batch this week. I like to cut corners (or “simplify” if you will) where ever possible… so instead of using muffin tins – one more thing to wash – I dropped large dollops like biscuits on a cooking sheet and they came out great! Totally held there form. Thanks for helping out a mom (and 2 boys) bored with all her usual meals.

• Rachelle

October 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm

….and that would be ‘their’ form. Have I mentioned I’m a tad tired?

56. lisa

October 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Made these the other night. Kinda tasteless over here, too. Daughter loved them, however :) so that’s a win for me. To make them more adult-palatable, I think I’ll add more cheese and thicker cuts of ham (I used Black Forest, thin-sliced from the deli). I’m goint to keep playing w/ it because I love the concept and idea. I’d like for them to be a little less dry and more savory. A great recipe, Catherine, that can be tweaked! Thanks!

57. catherine

October 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm

OK, I’ve had a 1/2 and 1/2 response about this recipe, some loving and some less then thrilled. I’m going to make it again next week and play with it a little. Suggestions always welcome!

• Cyrus

February 4, 2014 at 7:16 pm

to know if the egg is fresh in the grocery you can feel the wgihet of it shake it and if it feels like a bottle of water that is not full you can tell the egg is not that fresh old egg has a air bubble inside that continuosly grow because the water from the whites evaporates so the smallest the air bubble the fresher the egg is sorry for bad english not my first language :/

• Christina

October 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Definitely think they could benefit from some fresh chive added in, as well as more cheese. Perhaps a sharper cheddar or a Gouda. Pepper maybe?

October 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm

sounds yummy!!

58. Pingback: Hits and Misses « In Search of a Better Self

59. Pingback: Meal Plan for October (4th-31st) 2010 » Barefoot conTerra

60. Nicole Head

September 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

How do you reheat these? My daughter loves them, but I keep making them into a chewy mess when I reheat them…

September 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm

The best way to reheat them is to do it in a toaster oven or even in your oven at 300 for 5-10 minutes :) They come out nice and toasty!

61. Celena

September 29, 2010 at 12:45 am

Hi Catherine!
    How long can you freeze these for?

September 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Up to 3 months :)

62. Kristin

September 28, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Just made these with my three-year old son, who is pretty picky when it comes to eating meat OR cheese these days, but he gobbled one up fresh out of the oven! He also wanted to eat a bunch of the ham while we were making them, so hopefully I can reintroduce him to ham and cheese sandwiches, ham in scrambled eggs, etc., which I haven’t offered in a long time because he constantly refused them or picked them apart. The real test will be if I can get him to eat another muffin for breakfast tomorrow… I swear he has a short-term memory when it comes to food!

63. Olivia

September 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Hi Catherine, what’s the best way to reheat these muffins in the morning if I store them in the freezer?

September 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Pop them into the toaster oven or oven at 300 for 5-10 minutes :)

64. Lisa

September 27, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Catherine, I just took these out of the oven and I just had to test one. They were delicious! Hopefully, my kids will think so in the morning. They will be eating them for breakfast. I could really taste the ham and cheese–definitely more of a savory taste, but, I definitely liked them.

65. Cristina

September 27, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I just made these, and don’t really like them. I have to agree somewhat with Allison from above- they just taste like flour to me, and I too followed the recipe to a tee. I don’t taste the ham or cheese. :( I’m hoping my 13 mo. old will disagree with me though, because I’d hate for all these muffins to go to waste.
    Maybe this just wasn’t the recipe for us, this time around, but your others have been a great match! I’m excited to try more.

• mmmmmmommy

April 17, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I just made these for my son who is 7 and they came out dry and bland. I added spices, pepper, ec., but they were really tasteless and I threw them out. My 5 year old daughter who eats everything said “blech”. I think they need less flour, more liquid, and definitely more spices. By the way, I used more ham and more cheese than it called for and it was still a bust.

66. Meg

September 27, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Lactose free yogurt and soy cheese worked!!! I even added craisins and the kids totally digged it!!

67. Laurin

September 27, 2010 at 8:46 am

I made these with my little sister (she’s 9 & I’m 20). She’s the worlds pickiest eater, but she gobbled these up with a little bit of honey to dip them in! Thanks for the great recipes!

68. Meg

September 25, 2010 at 12:57 pm

My daughter is lactose sensitive & can use soy cheese but any suggestions in replacement of the buttermilk??

September 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Soy milk or rice milk, or even almond would be fine

69. Melissa

September 24, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Hi,

I am going to make these tonight, and I am wondering:did you shred or dice the cheddar?

Thanks!

September 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I shredded the cheddar

70. Pingback: Foodie Friday « Barefoot conTerra

71. Heather

September 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Just made them, and my 20 month old who refuses any kind of meat ate them up. I drizzled a tiny bit of honey on his, though! I loved mine warm with some butter! This will be PERFECT for on the go! Thanks so much!

72. Rachel

September 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Made these last night, wasn’t sure what to expect. My son really liked them! Thanks Catherine :)

73. Allison

September 23, 2010 at 11:36 am

I made these and they turned out tasteless and dry – followed the recipe to a tee and I am a baker, so I know my way around the kitchen. I think they could use some spices and maybe less flour since that is all I taste in these. do yourself a favor and if you make them half the recipe – complete waste of all these ingredients.

• Beth

October 4, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I made these hoping to post a reply to Alison that I thought they were great, however I agree with everything she said about them. They were dry, tasteless, and too salty. (And I used the same Trader Joe’s Ham you said you used.) They were proclaimed inedible by all–my 2yo, husband, myself and my best friend. I like most of the recipes on Weelicious, but this one is not for me! For others trying it: listen to Alison’s advice: half the recipe so you aren’t wasting as many ingredients if you don’t care for these either.

• lin

October 1, 2010 at 10:51 am

mine turned out tasteless and dry too. not to mention the batter was odd. i had to add more buttermilk at the end to actually be able to scoop the batter into a muffin cup. dh has been eating them b/c no one else will. it needs another herb. it is def. missing something,

September 23, 2010 at 3:44 pm

So sorry to hear that – what do you think will make this recipe better? I am open to hear your thoughts about this.

74. Marlene

September 22, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I made the mini muffin version of these, and they turned out really bland and on the dry side…I was disappointed. However, my daughter ate one (over the course of three meal times) and she never eats anything I make from weelicious! So all in all, I would say a success. I am going to modify the recipe a bit though for a next batch because I think it’s just a totally great idea! They pack so well and fit perfectly in her little paw…so cute to see her munch on one. :)

• Mel

September 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I made these last night, and I also thought they were very bland. I used the correct amount of everything and they just taste like bread. I couldn’t taste the ham or cheese. I’m thinking next time I will add more ham, or use a different meat, like sausage, add some herbs and also use sharp cheddar instead of mild.

• Nou

September 30, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I might try adding the mustard as suggested above and some herbs. I found these a bit on the bland side as well. On the upside, I substituted apple sauce for egg (my little one is allergic) and they came out fluffy!

September 23, 2010 at 3:51 pm

This is more of a savory muffin and the ham and cheese really make this muffin – did you use less ham and cheese?

• Deborah

February 4, 2014 at 10:24 pm

chicken salad boiled cchiken ****** a little onion, celery, and red or green bell pepper, and boiled eggs. mix mayonaise, creole or stone ground mustard, salt, pepper, and a few drops of hot sauce. mix and enjoy!!!how about a meatball sandwich or try a veggie sandwhich or a club sandwich or,provolone cheese turkey and bacon.i really could go on. anyway good luck and i hope you find what you are looking for.

• Marlene

September 24, 2010 at 12:07 am

I totally expected a savory muffin…but this had no flavour at all. Even to the 3 other adults I shared it with. I used all the ingredients as in the recipe. I even tossed in some diced swiss for a little added kick but it didn’t come out. Do you use a cup of like firmly packed ham? Maybe I was too loose with the cup…I didn’t pack it down. Same with the cheese. I think I would either almost double the ham and cheese and maybe add in some shredded zuchini or carrot for added moisture… I must say though, the idea of a savory b’fast muffin is a wonderful idea. You are so talented and inspiring! :)

• Jessica

September 24, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I wonder if adding a teaspoon of mustard would help with the savory taste. Another recipe I’ve tried for cheese muffins uses that and adds a bunch of flavor, but no heat.

I’m making these tonight with the mustard, so I’ll be sure to let you know!

• Emma

February 2, 2011 at 11:00 am

I made this in a mixed batch of large and mini muffins and think the bigger ones were better – can’t see why though! I think maybe I was a bit ungenerous with the ham and cheese too – but absolutely brilliant idea – trying to gather as many finger food recipes as possible from your site for my 14 m old who is unwilling to be fed much but as yet can’t manage too much ‘proper’ solid food. This was a winner! Going to try breakfast muffin next.

75. Tracy

September 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I actually made the muffins with roast turkey, because that’s what I had on hand. They were probably blander than the ham version, but my two-year-old daughter–who generally refuses to eat meat of any kind–loved them.

76. Jessica

September 20, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Catherine,

Do you have a suggestion for a lower sodium ham to use?

September 21, 2010 at 1:33 am

I buy ham that’s hormone free at Trader Joes. It’s a ham steak. I would just try to buy the highest quality low sodium ham you can find.

77. Erica

September 20, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Would it be possible to substitute low-fat 2% cheddar?

September 21, 2010 at 1:32 am

I think low fat 2% cheddar would work fine.

78. Kelsey

September 20, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’m wondering how veggie sausage would taste in these? I’m trying to cut out meat but my daughter is such a carnivore. Hehe. I guess I’ll let ya know!

79. Sarah

September 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm

What’s the best way to reheat the muffins once they’re frozen?

• Kelsey

September 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Toaster Ovens are perfect for this ;)

September 20, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I would let them thaw then reheat for in a 300 degree oven for 5-10 minutes :)

80. Laura

September 20, 2010 at 11:39 am

Sounds yummy! Can you use paper muffin cups instead of greasing the muffin tin, to save time?

• Stanca

February 4, 2014 at 4:53 am

He-man,Yes, I rarely do detanl check-up as my tooth functions well, no toothache and looks quite fine. But I know as I am aging it’s something you have to do more frequently.You mean the insurance by your working place, or the one you pay for yourself? Honestly, I don’t have any insurance. And I just think the agent would cheat. What an old-fashioned and stubborn person I am. In some way, yes, I do know myself … haha.

September 20, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Yes you can!

81. Stacey

September 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

I am not keen on sweetness with meats. For example, I don’t like glazed ham. So, if I leave out the maple syrup or honey to make a savory version, do you think I would need to add something else like onion or garlic?

• Nicole

September 21, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I was worried about the same thing, too, so I added just 1 TBS of honey. They are not sweet at all! Just yummy! (even the 2 tbs would not have made them sweet).

September 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

hmm not sure – this muffin is actually savory, we just added the sweetness to bring out the flavor of the ham. Other than that, you don’t taste much sweetness in the muffin.

82. Melanie

September 20, 2010 at 9:55 am

I have been waiting for this recipe and can’t wait to try it out!!

83. Mandie

September 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

Have you tried using all whole wheat pastry flour instead of the white apf/ww apf combo? I love using whole wheat pastry flour in place of white flour in just about everything.

These muffins look awesome, I can’t wait to make them!

September 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Have not use whole wheat pastry flour – sounds like a great suggestion!

84. catherine

September 20, 2010 at 9:31 am

Yes, the second ingredient is whole wheat flour :)

• Candy

February 4, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Yes, sorry I was looking for a Marble cake with ctoholace mousse filling! Actually a recipe for strawberry filling is something I want to get from u please as well. The strawberry fillings are either too jelly-like or too sweet. Can’t seem to master it. Awesome, I can’t wait for the recipes. I appreciate u taking the time to do all this. And yes, the red velvet was to die for!=-)Can’t tell u how long I’ve been waiting for this recipe. I will def. post the pic. on ur facebook wall. Thanks again. Looking fwd. to more recipes.Zoey

85. Larisa

September 20, 2010 at 7:31 am

I am totally making these tonight! I checked my freezer last night and had only 1 portion of breakfast cupcakes left for my little guy, so perfect timing. The second ingredient is whole wheat flour, right? Just checking :-)

86. Kathy

September 20, 2010 at 6:50 am

Is it possible to substitute agave for the maple syrup? Great recipe!

September 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm

yes you can :) it would be the same measurements also!

• Margo

September 20, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Yes; however, since agave nectar is sweeter I would reduce the amount. I stopped using refined sugar some time ago and use agave nectar or local unpasteurised honey in its place.

87. Heba

September 20, 2010 at 2:53 am

Nice one for working mum ….

What can I use instead of Ham . Is minced beef meat ok ?

September 20, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I would say a breakfast sausage would be a great substitute for this one!

88. Ceci

September 20, 2010 at 1:03 am

What can I use for a substitute if I don’t have any buttermilk? Thanks!

• yeni

September 20, 2010 at 7:38 am

Ceci, you can make buttermilk yourself using Milk and Vinegar. Using a 1-cup measurement, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and then pour milk til it reaches the 1 cup mark. Give it a light stir and let it sit for a few minutes. Voila, buttermilk!

• Jessi

April 26, 2011 at 11:22 am

I use 1 tbs vinegar for 1 cup milk and put it in the microwave for 1 min. this speeds up the souring -no waiting!

September 20, 2010 at 9:31 am

You could also put 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a 1 cup measure, fill it up with milk and let it sit for 5 minutes to become buttermilk :)

• Lori

September 20, 2010 at 6:55 am

I don’t know the ratio, but you can look it up. Milk + lemon juice = buttermilk. Hope this helps!

• Beth

September 23, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I’ve used 1 cup milk to 1 tablespoon vinegar and that has worked!