Breakfast Casserole

Holiday shopping, parties, good food, family, friends, screaming kids and more. Sound familiar? Yes, the joys of Christmas are upon us and and that means so are the stresses that accompany it. If you are planning on having a lot of people over on Christmas morning, why not serve something that makes things easy on you, but that also impresses your hungry guests. The solution? Breakfast Casserole. My secret is, on Christmas Eve while you're waiting for Santa to come down the chimney, whip this recipe together and then go to bed. Then, the next morning, while your kids are plowing through gifts and having a ball you can just pop the casserole in the oven and relax knowing the crowd will be thrilled with your Christmas culinary creation!

Breakfast Casserole  (Serves 4-6)

• 6 large eggs, whisked
  • 2/3 cups milk
  • 1 cup cheese, shredded (you can use mexican cheese blend, mozzarella, cheddar, or monterey jack)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 slices day-old whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
  • 4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled into bite-size pieces
  • 1 cup cooked vegetables, chopped (broccoli, corn, bell peppers, onions or anything you have leftover from last night’s dinner)

1. 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
  2. 2. In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk, cheese and salt until thoroughly combined.
  3. 3. Soak the cubed bread in the egg mixture and stir until just combined (you don’t want to over mix the bread or it will break apart).
  4. 4. Fold in the remaining ingredients.
  5. 5. Pour the mixture into an 8×8 inch greased pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden.
  7. *Can be doubled and cooked in a 13 x 9 inch dish
Breakfast Casserole

Comments

1. dawnpami

August 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm

One of my go to recipes !

2. Daphne

June 6, 2013 at 10:07 am

This was AWESOME! The veggies I used was onions, sweet red and orange peppers chopped fine, sauteed until the onions started to get translucent but not completely done. And because I’m lazy, I use the REAL bacon bits you can buy in the little bag.

3. Pingback: Breakfast Casserole – We got fed

4. CeeJ@Frozen Yogurt

June 2, 2011 at 2:30 am

Enjoyed reading the post. I am currently working on my frozen yogurt site at: http://www.frozenyogurtrecipe.org/frozenyogurtmachines/. In fact I got some great design tips from Weelicious â„¢ – Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family! » Blog Archive » Breakfast Casserole. Looking forward to reading future posts.

5. WillLindsey

May 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

Made this morning, delicious! I put the mixture into mini muffin tins and they came out great. I cut the cooking time in half though.

6. Jenn

April 21, 2011 at 10:11 am

This sounds delicious for Easter Brunch!!

7. Pingback: Bragging: I can make a casserole in my toaster oven

8. Danielle

December 19, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I love this but my husband and son would need it to be gluten free. Could I use potatoes instead of bread? How would I do it?

December 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Unfortunately potatoes are not the same consistency as bread. You can use a gluten free bread though :)

9. RookieMom Heather

December 16, 2010 at 6:40 pm

We’re hosting a kiddo brunch playdate this weekend and I’ll take this recipe for a spin. Looks yummy.

10. Vera

December 13, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Just threw this together for dinner tonight, with beans for added protien, instead of bacon. You think it could be assembled and then frozen for make-ahead meals? What do you think the baking time would be from frozen? Thanks!
    PS, LOVE the muffin tin idea!

December 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I would assemble these first then freeze before baking them. When ready, I would let it come to room temp then bake them off :)

11. Aimee

December 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm

This sounds a lot like a strata, which is assembled the day before and refrigerated until baking. Another idea that came to me would be to combine all the ingredients then dose out into a muffin pan and top with a little more shredded cheese. That way, it’s already divided into single serving sizes (and probably bakes faster), not to mention the presentation…

12. Jessica

December 9, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Love this and would like to share it on my blog, http://www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com

Super yummy looking and easy for any holiday morning!

13. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

December 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I love breakfast casseroles!

14. Charise

December 9, 2010 at 9:28 am

Sounds great but I’m a little confused. When you say “whip this recipe together and then go to bed” does that mean you cook it the night before or you put everything in the casserole dish and then bake it in the morning? I’m just confused about the sogginess of the bread – won’t it be too soggy if you don’t cook it right away?

December 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Yes, I make it the night before them pop it into the oven the next day. It will bake off in the morning and the bread will not be soggy since the batter has egg, it will cook through :)

• Eden

December 9, 2010 at 10:37 am

I know of a lot of breakfast casseroles that you leave to soak overnight with the bread in it. It all solidifies by the time it bakes through. The bread isn’t going to be crispy, like toast, even if you make it and bake it right away.
      Please correct me if I’m wrong, but that is my understanding.
      Trust me, they turn out delicious.

15. Tanya

December 9, 2010 at 8:49 am

I know what we’ll be having for breakfast this Sunday :)

16. cupcake