Drum roll, please! After much deliberation and heated discussion amongst a group of kids, grandparents, moms, dads, friends and, of course, myself, the winner of the weelicious Holiday Recipe Contest is Kristen Fantozzi for her incredibly delicious and festive Cranberry Walnut Biscotti! So popular was this recipe with my gang, I had to make a second batch by popular demand! With a hint of orange zest and vanilla, a crispy texture and sweet bites of dried cranberries, these biscotti are great to keep on hand or give as a gift (if you can handle parting with them).
Hopefully Kristen will send me some of the new recipes she will be making with her new Zojirushi Breadmaker!
Cranberry Walnut Biscotti (Makes 30 Cookies)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 Cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Tsp Orange Zest
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Almond Extract
- 3 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 375 F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl or standing mixer, beat eggs, oil, sugar, orange zest, vanilla and almond extract for 1 minute until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and slowly add to the egg mixture in small increments until you form a stiff dough.
4. Fold in walnuts and cranberries and thoroughly combine.
5. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a log (about the length of the width of the cookie sheet). Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the log and flatten with a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick and about 4-5 inches wide.
6. Place flattened logs onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack to cool.
9. When cool, slice the bread crosswise into 1/2 inch slices and place them back onto the cookie sheet cut-side down.
10. Bake each side for 7-10 minutes or until slices are lightly toasted.
11. Cool and serve.