I love these Cheese Wafers because they’re the perfect homemade version of goldfish crackers and my kids LOVE them.
Some moms make their kids sugar cookies, gingerbread people and or maybe even Peppermint Brookies. My mom made cheese wafers. I’m not talking about a tins worth, I’m literally talking pounds and pounds! You would have thought she was starting her own cheese wafer business with the amount of cracker barrel cheese kept in our refrigerator. I remember standing by her salivating as she made them. Really they’re THAT good. She placed a perfect pecan on top of each one and added a touch of paprika for a little zip. Don’t have pecans on hand? You can substitute walnuts or even go nut free. When I give them to my kids they pop them in their mouthes and crunch away so fast, I had to hide them. Now the only trouble is that I know where they are and I may eat the entire tin! I’m not kidding. Of all recipes on Weelicious these Cheese Wafers are in my top 10 favorites.
If you have a child that loves goldfish this is the perfect homemade substitute. I mean who can resist a deep cheddar flavor in a super crispy, crunchy cracker. They’re truly made from heaven and the best hostess gift ever. I package them in cute little tins to make them easy to transport too. Bonus? They freeze beautifully so you can make them months ahead of time.
This recipe is perfect to make for a big group because they’re super simple and who doesn’t love a savory cheese cracker? These Cheese Wafers are way better than any cheese cracker you can get in the store and adding a crunchy pecan on top is the perfect combination.
Are you making Cheese Wafers for any holiday parties? Let me know in the comments!
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus additional for sprinkling
- raw pecan halves, or other nut of preference (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and combine (dough may be a bit crumbly, but it will stick together).
- Remove all the dough to a piece of parchment or waxed paper and shape into a thick flat circle. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Open waxed paper and roll out dough on it into a 1/4 inch-thick piece.
- Take small cookie cutters and cut out into shapes (you could also take an empty plastic medicine bottle to make circle shaped crackers. Just make sure you clean out the bottle thoroughly first.).
- Place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with a silpat or parchment paper). Add pecans or other nut on top (if preferred) and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes before removing.
- *Gluten Free- use the same amount of gluten free flour. They turn out amazing!