Is there anything better than a crispy, gooey grilled cheese? What about adding some avocado to take it to the next level!? Game changer.
What kid doesn’t love a grilled cheese? Heck! What adult doesn’t love a grilled cheese? When my kids see this crispy, gooey, delicious Grilled Cheese with Avocado in their lunch box they lose their minds. I know a grilled cheese doesn’t seem that exciting, but the combo of a really good bread, two cheeses, avocado, and a little love, of course, makes this sandwich something special.
I’ve been making this particular grilled cheese sandwich for years, and it’s one of my entire family’s favorites. The best part is getting to choose which cheeses you want to layer around your avocado. We typically do a really yummy cheddar with a gruyere or provolone but you could choose any slices of your favorite cheese or whatever you have on hand! You could even add in some deli meat to this sandwich if you wanted. The possibilities are endless!
Lunch can be tough sometimes, so I like to have some favorites in my back pocket that I know everyone loves and I can make easily. This recipe obviously makes the lunch time list, but we’re also loving a simple Avocado Toast at the moment or these Caprese Wraps or even a Nut Free Granola with some yogurt or almond milk and fresh berries!
Planning ahead your meals for the week helps so much with lunch time. There’s nothing worse than hunger creeping in around noon and not having any idea what to make to satisfy your belly. I make meal plans every week for me and my family (and for you!) and knowing what’s coming up helps so much. Once everyone is hangry (believe me I’ve been there) and wanting something for lunch it’s too late so take it from me and have a plan!
So what’s the verdict? Will you be adding avocado to your grilled cheese sandwich this week?
Grilled Cheese Avocado Sandwich
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 slices gruyere or provolone cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Lightly spread one side of all bread slices with butter.
- Place one slice of bread on a plate, butterside down, and cover with 1 slice of cheddar, half of the avocado slices ( I mash them down a bit) and finally, a slice of gruyere or provolone cheese.
- Top with the remaining piece of bread, butterside up.
- Preheat a panini maker or saute pan over medium heat and cook the sandwiches until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes.
- Cut and serve.