Hummus

Even now, you can always find hummus in my fridge. It's easy to make and stays fresh for over a week, so I don't have to worry about having a healthy protein on hand that I know my kids love (even though it will probably all be eaten up before a week is up). Whether I'm serving it as a dip with veggies, as a spread on a sandwich or even just to eat with a spoon straight out of a bowl (Chloe's preferred method), hummus is a recipe that’s simple to prepare but packed with flavor!

Hummus  (Makes 1 1/2 Cups)

One of the first foods I gave my kids after they went through a rainbow of fruit and veggie purees was hummus. It's creamy texture and vibrant flavors were an eye opening pleasure for them both, especially after the simplicity of their first foods....

• 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons tahini (can be usually be found right next to the peanut butter at your local grocery)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup olive oil

1. 1. Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and puree.
  2. 2. Add the olive oil and continue to puree until creamy.
Hummus

Comments

1. Alina

October 18, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I made this following the recipe exactly. It was so salty I had to throw it. I love all your recipes but this one was a complete fail. Won’t make again.

2. Sara

December 5, 2013 at 9:51 am

What is the serving size?

3. Pingback: BLW Tools, Tips, & Recipes

4. Sarah

July 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Wow! This is great hummus- a little salty, but that’s probably why my kids loved it!

5. Ruth Pinnell

April 22, 2013 at 8:18 am

This tasted very salty and lemony right after I made it, but the next day had mellowed and was delicious.

6. kellie

December 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm

so the added salt in the hummus is fine for my 13 month old? Just want to be sure, thanks!

December 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Yes, the added salt is fine. Of course, that depends on your specific diet and your pediatrician’s advice! You can leave it out if you need to! :)

7. rachel freeze

August 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Can you freeze batches?

August 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Yes! Freeze in any increment you prefer, defrost in the fridge. Items like hummus sometimes separate when frozen, but just give it a stir and it should be just fine. :)

8. Keith's Mom

January 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Try lime juice instead of lemon, yummy!

9. Pingback: foods have gluten

10. Pingback: camping tents for kids

11. hummus

October 31, 2011 at 7:47 am

I beloved up to you’ll obtain performed proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an impatience over that you would like be turning in the following. ill without a doubt come further in the past again as precisely the same nearly very continuously within case you defend this increase.

12. Greenish Mommy

May 22, 2011 at 8:39 pm

We have this yummy caramelized onion hummus at my local grocery store that I would LOVE to make at home because you can ONLY buy it from the fresh bar at almost $8/lb. Thoughts on how to make it at home?

• Keith's Mom

January 27, 2012 at 7:33 pm

just blend in some caramelized onions?

13. Melody

March 30, 2011 at 10:28 pm

so easy and so yummy. i’ve always bought store bought hummus out of habit and I am over the moon excited that I can make my own now since my boys and I eat hummus daily. Many thanks!!

14. kdkay86

March 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm

How long will the Hummus keep in the fridge?

• Greenish Mommy

May 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

She says it’ll last about a week in the fridge!

15. Ashley

January 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Just wondering what your preferred kind of olive oil is in this recipe (ie. extra virgin, light, etc.). Thanks!

16. Sara

January 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Wondering the size of the garlic clove and if I throw it in the processor whole. Just made this recipe and loved it, but it was pretty garlicky (maybe it’s supposed to be?). Just want to make sure I made it correctly.

January 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm

considering if a garlic clove is “small” can be difficult sometimes. I would consider a garlic clove small when it is slightly slimmer than the other ones. If you would chop it up it would be about 1/4-1/2 tsp. :)

17. mrs.m

January 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm

this was excellent. my husband and i love it….as well as the kiddos.
    my 4 yr old is sitting at the island right now eating it with carrots and wheat thins. dee-lish!

18. Butterfly Mamma

January 14, 2011 at 2:37 pm

For a protein plus option I use Greek Yogurt in lieu of the tahini and olive oil, also helps if there are seed allergies :)

19. Trisha

January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I think Eden Organics has canned beans, but if not, is there a suggestion for avoiding canned beans?

• Coralee

January 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

I just used dried beans, soaked them and then boiled them. You just need to make sure they are nice and soft for the geet really smooth when you blend them

• Kirsten

January 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

that’s exactly what I did; soaked and boiled dry beans. It was SO good.

• Gio

February 3, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I refuse to eat runny eggs!I hoestnly had such a hard time thinking of anything that I refuse to eat though! Everything I used to refuse to eat, I’ve tried as an adult and for the most part I’ve grown out of my distaste for them.

• Jessica

April 12, 2011 at 12:04 pm

We go through a lot of beans in my house, but I avoid the bpa-cans. I buy them buy the EDEN ORGANICS bpa-free cans by the case (12 pack) on amazon and it is cheaper than the store and always available. (I also use the subscribe and save for a bigger discount.) My son eats them straight from the can and I cook with a lot of beans. We buy chick peas, black beans and cannelini to have on hand.

20. Sandy Kay

January 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I don’t buy the tahini – I just throw in a couple teaspoons sesame seeds and it grinds up with the rest of the ingredients.

• Coralee

January 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for the tip, I tried to find tahini, but I couldn’t. Just adding sesame seeds did the trick. :o)

• Lisa {Smart Food & Fit}

January 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I’m going to try it with the sesame seeds. I have some sitting in my fridge.

21. Aimee @ Chickenville

January 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm

We make hummus all the time. I posted a photo tutorial to show how to make it. I make mine without tahini because we like the taste better. I do find fresh lemon juice is a deal maker and we add cumin which REALLY amps up the flavor like Valerie said.

22. Valerie

January 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I make almost this same recipe all of the time, and my 18 month old loves it (so does everyone else…)! He actually doesn’t care for store bought hummus because he loves his mama’s so much! My recipe includes a teaspoon of cumin and a teaspoon of corriander. Those spices add some great flavor.

• Lyndsay

May 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Oh the cumin is SO happening the next time I make this. Thanks for the tip!

23. Tamara

January 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Do you happen to know the shelf life of tahini? I’ve had an open container in my fridge for awhile and this post is inspiring me to try making it again. My litte one wasn’t a fan of hummus the first couple of times we tried it.

• Tamara

January 12, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Ignore this. I just saw the post above. Thanks!

24. Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

January 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm

My little one loves chickpeas. She loves tahini. But she hates hummus. Frustrating!

25. Sarah

January 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

How do you store your Tahini after opening it? Just curious.

• Amanda

January 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’m curious about the storage as well and how long it lasts.

• Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}

January 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm

You store it in the fridge after opening. My jar says it will last a year in the fridge. I always go through it quicker than that though!

• Amanda

January 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Great! Mine is currently in the fridge and I haven’t had it a year so that’s good news. Thanks!

26. Laurie Carlson

January 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

We love hummus at our house too — I always thought it needed to be made with chick peas and tahini, but in Dreena Burton’s book, Eat, Drink and Be Vegan she has lots of yummy recipes that use cannellini beans or black beans too and a variety of butters (i.e. almond butter) or nuts (cashews, peanuts) in combination. This book is worth buying just for it’s hummus varieties.

27. Pingback: Hummus « Topicco – Find, Read, Share

28. Laura Degnan

January 12, 2011 at 8:04 am

Funny, yesterday I made this same exact recipe using Cannellini beans instead. It’s considered the Italian version of hummus. Can’t wait to try this one!

29. Meghna

January 12, 2011 at 7:57 am

My 2 year old’s favorite has always been hummus. Much like Chloe, she just sits and eats it with a spoon. I am dying to make this, but don’t have any tahini on hand, at the moment, so will have to wait. By the way, does this require 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, for the best flavor, or can bottled lemon juice taste okay in it?

• Liana

February 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I just made some with plain yogurt instead of tahini!!

• Melissa

January 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm

You can also use a little all natural peanut butter. That’s what we do for our kids over 2.

• Lisa {Smart Food & Fit}

January 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to try the peanut butter.I’ve never heard of that but it does sound good. I wonder how sunflower butter would taste?

• Lisa {Smart Food & Fit}

January 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

Hi Meghna, I’ve made it without tahini, my nephew is allergic to sesame seeds. It tastes just as good, but yes the fresh lemon makes it.

30. Lisa {Smart Food & Fit}

January 12, 2011 at 7:56 am

I just started to make homemade hummus, it’s so easy.

Another good reason to make your own hummus is that the store bought hummus adds sodium benzoate as a preservative. Sodium benzoate and vitamin C combined together forms benzene, which is a known carcinogen. Not good for anyone especially small children. Sodium benzoate is added to alot of foods and beverages that kids eat, like fruit juices and jams/jellies.