Cucumber Salad

When it comes to kids, sometimes the most basic recipes turn out to be the most popular. It always amazes me how something so simple can be one of my kids' favorite foods, but that's why this Cucumber Salad is constantly in our family dinner rotation. When I put it on Kenya and Chloe's plates, their eyes just light up.

I like to use Persian cucumbers in this recipe, but you can use any variety you have on hand. All I do is use a hand slicer for the cucumber, toss it with a bit of vinegar and sesame seeds and the kids are totally thrilled. That's all it takes!

Cucumber Salad  (Serves 4)

• 4 persian cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced*
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds

1. 1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
  2. 2. Refrigerate for an hour for cucumbers to soften (this step isn’t necessary if you’re in a hurry).
  4. *You can also use one English or Hothouse Cucumber that’s been cut in
  5. half, seeded and thinly sliced.
Cucumber Salad

Comments

1. Laura

September 6, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I didn’t have sesame seeds on hand (and wasn’t sure my toddler would eat them), so I just mixed a few drops of sesame oil into the rice wine vinegar. Fantastic!!!

2. Leona Medved

February 26, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Luv ur site!

3. Pingback: Make Vegetables Appealing Not Hidden « My Little Button

4. Heather

August 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

They have a menu item similar to this at almost all sushi restaurants. At my favorite one they put sliced shrimp or sliced crab meat in with it and it is YUMMY. I like to use Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar when I make it from home. Its at almost every grocery store.

5. Pingback: diabetes foods

6. Pingback: Největší specializovaný prodejce tanečních podložek

7. Pingback: Buy your Angry Birds Gifts here! We have plush dolls, shirts, headphones, and much more!

8. Pingback: {名牌汇|名品|精品|名牌国货|传统手工艺品}

9. tammy

August 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I am going to use real white sugar too and I am NOT afraid!

10. Sheena

May 18, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I made it for my 15 month old today! The first bite was hilarious – I think the vinegar flavor was a suprise. But then she gobbled it up!

• Jasen

February 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm

You could probably wash it out that way but I would not run it with soapy water in it. Make sure it is all rnseid out before you run it.FYI- They sell coffee maker cleaner near the coffee makers at most stores. It is inexpensive and does a good job. You run it through the same way you do the vinegar.

11. cassie

February 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm

my mom used to make something like this as a child..love it!!!! wished i could get my 4 year old to try! LOL

12. Catherine

February 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Would fresh lemon juice work in place of the vinegar?

February 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm

The rice wine vinegar really gives it the unique flavor. But you can do different variations of you like :)

• Catherine

February 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I went off the path on this one. I used rice vinegar but it needed a sweetner so I added a squeeze of honey and my DS ate it up…along with my DH. I will definatly be making this recipe again!

• Catherine

February 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Definitely :)

13. Rose

February 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I love it with vinegar, thinly sliced onions and a little bit a white sugar. That’s right: white sugar and I am so not ashamed. ;-) lol

• Linda

February 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Too funny! :) Glad to know I am not the only one still using sugar.

14. Barbie

February 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm

We love cucumber salad in our house! I’ve never tried the sesame seeds but I love anything with sesame seeds so I’m sure this will be a hit.

15. Irina

February 15, 2011 at 9:41 am

Cucumber salad is awesome! Never tried it with sesame seeds, but now I sure will. Our favorite is with cucumbers, vinegar and fresh dill.

16. Julie

February 15, 2011 at 7:55 am

I love rice wine vinegar but just noticed that HFCS is the third ingredient on the brand that I use. Have you found one that does not contain this? Love your site!

• Liz

February 15, 2011 at 8:22 am

Trader Joe’s brand of rice vinegar contains sugar not HFCS.