Homemade Brown Rice Cereal

[caption id="attachment_3335" align="aligncenter" width="500"]Homemade Brown Rice Cereal Homemade Brown Rice Cereal[/caption]

Why not make homemade brown rice cereal is the question?

Like a lot of moms, I started feeding my kids brown rice cereal when they were 6 months old. I never even thought about making it homemade. The baby food companies perform some of their most impressive marketing when it comes to this tried and true first food, because while I bought it by the boxful, it never occurred to me just how easy it would be to make it on my own. I don't know why I never thought of it before because all you need is a blender and brown rice. It truly is THE easiest thing you can make your baby. And the best part is that it cost a fraction of the price as boxed rice cereal and by making your own you can purchase organic rice too!

Packed with iron, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals, homemade brown rice cereal makes a perfect first food. No more nutritionally stripped white rice cereal or spending way too much money on pretty packaging and advertising. And while you're making a batch of this recipe you could whiz up Homemade Oatmeal Cereal too.  Make it on your own and you'll have a simple food that your baby will love!

Brown Rice Cereal  (4-6 servings)

• 1/2 cup short grain brown rice (i like to use organic brown rice)

1. 1. Place the brown rice in a spice grinder or blender for 45 seconds-1 minute or until finely ground.
  2. * At this point you can store the rice powder in a sealed container in the refrigerator or in a cool dark place.
  3. To make 1 serving for a 4-6 month old baby:
  4. 1. Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and sprinkle in 2 tbsp of the ground brown rice.
  5. 2. Whisk continuously for 30 seconds and then occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy to prevent any lumps from forming.
  6. 3. Serve as is or with one of the additions below.

Accompaniments: Breast Milk Formula Molasses Banana, mashed Rice or Almond Milk Apple Sauce Baby Food Puree

Brown Rice Cereal

Comments

1. nadiya

August 29, 2014 at 2:41 pm

how long can you keep the cereal in the fridge for with added breast milk

2. Lynda

August 6, 2014 at 7:14 pm

can I use wild rice instead of brown rice

3. Nicole

June 20, 2014 at 8:04 am

Can I use Brown Rice flour instead? And if no, why not?

• Catherine McCord

June 20, 2014 at 8:38 am

Hmm I’m not sure. I would think the flour would be ground super fine and would turn into more of a paste than an oatmeal-like cereal. It is definitely worth a try if you already have some on hand!

4. Pingback: 27の簡単なDIYベビーフード | 美味い飯特集!世界の美味い飯!

5. Pingback: 27 Easy DIY Baby Foods | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

6. Evanthia

May 15, 2014 at 2:38 am

Hi,

I understood the process, so you don’t use any heat other than the boiling water? But when I tried it, the mixture stays raw. Whereas others do the same process but whisk the flour on low heat so the rice is cooked, I don’t l.ike to do the latter because I feel that many of the vitamins are lost, but your way leaves the rice raw. Am I missing something? Your prompt reply would be highly appreciated!

Many thanks, please continue the great work.

7. L

April 21, 2014 at 5:27 am

Any idea how to make the actual flakes like what come in the box? That’s what I need to figure out..

8. Andrea

April 17, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I just blended up my first batch of brown rice for my baby’s first food during our Easter brunch. I used organic brown basmati rice though. Silly question, but does it make a difference which kind?

9. Pingback: Starting solids with baby? - Reader Q&A | Cool Mom Picks

10. Pingback: A steep learning curve & a recipe | MKliving

11. Mary

March 13, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Rice cereal

12. Delfina

March 2, 2014 at 6:33 pm

So excited to try this! Why have I not thought of it?

13. Hannah

February 12, 2014 at 8:29 pm

I have heard that rice [white and brown] have natural arsenic, which is why you’re supposed to soak [or at least rinse] the rice before you cook it. Would this still work if you are blending? It seems like if the rice is wet and you try to blend it you will have a sticky mess, but I haven’t tried it yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

• MARY

March 23, 2014 at 6:34 pm

After I rinsed the rice, I dry roasted them in the oven at 275 F for two hours before grinding them. It worked well, and the rice cereal has a roasted taste. Hope it helps.

14. Amanda Cowan

January 31, 2014 at 10:44 am

Can I use long grain brown rice?

15. heather odabashian

January 28, 2014 at 1:42 am

hi! thank you for the brown rice cereal recipe…so easy!!! i can’t wait to make it and feed it to my little guy :)

16. efe

January 22, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Question please! My dh brought brown basmati rice…can use this for my 7 mth old???

17. ardiana

December 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm

do we need to boil the rice powder? Coz, i just buy this kind of rice in the market, on the instructions they said, add a milk only. So, i put EBM in it. Can i do the same, if i made my on rice powder?

18. Jen

December 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I’m curious about the need to freeze the powdered rice. I’m planning on travelling overseas with a baby and would love to take some pre-ground rice to make into cereal. But I’ll have no way to refrigerate or freeze it. Suggestions?

• Heze

February 2, 2014 at 11:43 pm

An outstanding share! I have just fodrrawed this onto a colleague who has been doing a little research on this. And he in fact bought me dinner due to the fact that I discovered it for him lol. So allow me to reword this . Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this matter here on your website.

19. Debra Green

September 23, 2013 at 11:25 am

Trying to find recipies for my 10 month old Grandaughter as I babysit her many times during lunch or snacks.

20. Brandy

September 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I used a coffee bean grinder. Worked well took maybe a minute to make into the fine powder.

21. Tammy

September 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I found a recipe that you can do in batches.
    1/2 cup uncooked rice (I like organic brown rice)
    4 cups of water

put uncooked rice in food processor and mill to fine powder. Add milled rice to water in pot, cover and bring to boil, then turn heat down to low and cook/simmer 20 minutes. Check consistency and add water is you need it thinner for your babies needs.
    Put in storage containers, refrigerate or freeze.
    For individual servings I use ice cube trays and freeze then after frozen pop them out and put in freezer bags labeled and dated, Then you can take out what you want and set in small containers to thaw or microwave, if you choose. This is also a good thing to do when you have to take your little on to day care. Use smaller take and toss containers and put a cube of rice cereal and a cube of what ever mix in you want, this leave no guess work for the daycare provider and less stress for you.

• Julie

March 27, 2014 at 6:48 am

Do you notice that the rice once frozen seems to be too firm when it thaws?

22. Danika Friedley

August 27, 2013 at 9:47 am

Will this provide enough iron if it is not the fortified cereal? How often should my 6 mo old be eating rice cereal?

23. Chrifstina Perez

August 15, 2013 at 10:05 am

This is awesome!! I was wondering if the rice should be rinsed at all before putting it in the spice grinder?

24. Kristine

July 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I tried this recipe today and had a question (well, 2 really): Can you boil a kettle or does it have to be on the stovetop? Also, my rice cereal, as fine as I thought it was, was creamy but chunky.. Do I need to blend it more? Thank you!!

25. Jordyn

June 14, 2013 at 7:31 pm

So since the blended rice has to be refrigerated, how long does it keep for? I am wanted to making a bunch all at once and just store it then in jars. (Quinoa, oatmeal, and rice)

June 17, 2013 at 10:43 am

Refrigerate for up to 5 days, freeze for up to 3 months!

26. Nadia

June 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm

How would you make this recipe if daycare doesn’t have an oven/stove to warm water? They only have a microwave…..

27. Ashley

June 9, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I can’t find short grain brown rice, maybe I’m overlooking it. Is it normally in the regular aisle for rice or would the kind you get be with the organics?

June 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I get it from Trader Joe’s in the rice section!

28. Amanda

June 9, 2013 at 9:09 am

Where do you buy your organic brown rice?

June 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Trader Joes!

29. Shivani Sikri

June 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Brown rice is known to be very healthy. Can brown rice be replaced with any other cereal like well grounded normal white rice since they are more easy to digest.

• Tammy

September 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm

White rice has been bleached and then fortified, brown rice is natural, both are about the same in nutritional value. As for white rice being easier to digest. Brown and white rice are the same to digest it is just a matter of preference.

30. Jennifer

April 8, 2013 at 7:57 am

Hi! Is there a particular spice grinder you’d recommend?

31. Emilie

March 15, 2013 at 11:46 am

Hi Catherine,

I am surprised no one else asked this. I have the Cuisinart 4-cup Food Processor that you recommend on your site and amazon shop. It took me 15 minutes to grind the rice to 2 different textures (at the same time, so the rice separated in 2 different things): a powder and small white balls (maybe the size of semolina/couscous). I sieved out the powder and put it in a jar. Do I use the pearls as well? Can I mix both? They would obviously cook differently… no? Also, it was pretty noisy and I had to ask the nanny to take the kiddo in his room while I was grinding otherwise he would cry :(
    Trader Joe’s sells those small packages of Farro and Barley now. I was wondering if those are also a good cereal to grind and cook similarly. They would seem softer than the rice which really felt like grinding ice. :)
    Thank you for your advice on my oh so many questions.
    Take care and keep inspiring us for our babies!
    Emilie

• Jen

August 2, 2013 at 9:48 am

I had the same question, any reply to this? I used same blender and it took a really time to get rice powder. Can we use the small pearl/rice that is left-over? I think I got about a 4 tbl of rice powder from the 1/2 cup of rice I put in the food processor.

32. Shenelle

February 26, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Dumb question: do I add the rest of the half cup of rice 2 tbs at a time? Or all of it after whisking ?

February 27, 2013 at 1:44 pm

The 1/2 cup of ground up rice is for you to store for future uses so that you have it on hand for a whole. If you look under “preparation” there is the second section that says, “To make 1 serving for a 4-6 month old baby” so that 2 tablespoons of rice powder you’re using is to make one serving for your baby to eat. Store the remaining rice powder in an airtight container to make for your baby later! :)

• Shenelle

February 27, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure as I already had done 2 other recipes which ended up as a big glob lol

33. Amanda

January 22, 2013 at 9:38 am

Quite question — could this stuff be made ahead of time and then reheated in the microwave?? Mine wee one gets fussy waiting for it to cool. It end up sticking it in the freezer to quicken the cooling period! And she just gets irritated — she’s fine once she gets her rice cereal for the day — but the waiting is tough on her — and confusing.

January 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm

You can reheat it. It will get thicker after sitting in the fridge, but just add some more water or other liquid to thin it out! It will keep for about 4-5 days in the fridge!

• Amanda

January 22, 2013 at 9:39 am

Make that “Quick” question. Mommy didn’t get much sleep. Wee one eats my brain cells!

34. Melissa

January 20, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Wonderful recipie, but instead of cooking it with water, could I cook the powder with some breast milk? ( I was thinking I can make porridge for adults w/ cows milk, so why not brown rice cereal with breast milk for baby?)

• Amanda

January 22, 2013 at 9:36 am

I cook mine with formula. I mix the formula in a bottle ahead of time and stick the bottle in the fridge just like I would normally. Then pour it in the pot and I’m good to go.

1/4 cup water = 1 Tablespoon rice powder = 1 scoop formula. (same as a 2 oz bottle)
      1/2 cup water = 2 Tablespoon rice powder = 2 scoops formula (same as a 4 oz bottle)
      1 cup water = 4 Tablespoon rice powder = 4 scoops forumla (same as 8 oz bottle)

• Kristy

February 5, 2014 at 3:44 am

The truth just shines thgruoh your post

January 21, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Yes you can! That is actually a recommendation in the recipe!

• Andrea

April 16, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Such a great idea! And just in time, we’ll be starting in a couple of weeks :) Regarding the use of breast milk, would you recommend cooking in water and then adding the milk (since it is not recommended to heat breast milk in this way)? Or could you add it straight into the ground rice cereal without cooking, as you can with the packaged version? Thanks so much!

April 16, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I would cook it with water and then add the breast milk to thin to your desired consistency!

35. Rene

January 9, 2013 at 6:05 am

Loving the site.
    Have a quick question, can long grain brown rice be used instead of the short grain?

January 9, 2013 at 11:47 am

Yes, you can use long grain rice! Short grain rice is ideal because it cooks up softer than other types of rice. :)

36. hillary

January 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm

this cereal has all the nutrients that store bought does?

January 7, 2013 at 1:25 pm

It does! It has all the nutrients of brown rice plus all the nutrients of the milk or formula you use to cook it!

37. Pingback: brown rice cereal for babies | Baby Product Deal of The Day

38. Pingback: best brown rice cereal for babies | Baby Product Deal of The Day

39. Pingback: brown rice cereal for infants | Baby Product Deal of The Day

40. Leigh

November 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I milled minute brown rice, can I turn that into cereal for my baby?

November 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

You can! It will cook much faster!

41. Marília

November 21, 2012 at 5:23 am

Thanks so much for this. I needed a diary and gluten free cereal for my daughter and this is so easy to do. She loves it!

42. Pingback: first foods | Nesting

43. Laura

October 8, 2012 at 11:22 am

Can I use pre cooked brown rice?

October 8, 2012 at 11:42 am

No, it needs to be uncooked rice so that you can grind it!

44. martinac57

October 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I have a question I just made this recipe and it’s delicious I actually added some salt and pepper and am eating it with my dinner…lol will have to make more for my 9 month old tomorrow I guess…but my question is: How do you keep it from sticking to bottom of pan?? I whisked it often should I have lowered the flame???? Please help I really want to keep making this

• Aadesh

February 3, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Candace,I am totally with you on this oh my gnosoeds! My children do the same thing! My husband, not so much, but it drives me mad, and I keep telling them over and over and they just don’t get it what in the world?Tuesdae

October 2, 2012 at 6:38 pm

When you’re stirring it make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Yes, lowering the flame will also help! :)

45. martinac57

October 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm

how much would you make for a 9 month old? and I can really do the same thing with oatmeal???

October 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Yes you can! Follow the directions for the rice. I’ll be putting up the full written version for the oatmeal soon! The amount to give your baby really depends on him or her and how much they eat in one sitting. I would start with 1/2 cup water plus 1/4 cup of the ground rice!

46. Beckys56

July 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Can’t find short grain brown rice anywhere. I use long grain brown rice. Would that work?

47. Pingback: Introducing Solid Foods | Welcome to Rosie Pope Maternity!

48. Joan

July 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I have brown rice flour which I use for baking sometimes – would I be able to use it to make cereal for baby instead of grinding my own?

• Farhan

February 2, 2014 at 9:40 pm

No definitely not enuogh food for you, you should be havering about 1800 calories a day, the amount your currently having is about 700-800. If your active which you are, you need even more calories to keep up with you energy use. I was bulimic, and I used to eat less then that plus 2 hours+ of exercise and force vomit. And it was really not good. Start fixing your diets habit before it becomes too late! XxReferences : Bulimic

49. Katie

June 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I have precooked parboiled rice, can I use that?

50. Angie

June 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I add 1/2 cup ground brown basmati rice to 4 cups cold water, cover, bring to a boil than reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Comes out perfect. I leave 3 servings in the fridge and freeze the rest.

51. Ashley

May 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like it should come out the same way as long as the cooked rice is cold first.

52. Truda

May 8, 2012 at 7:10 am

Cooked rice is temperamental. It must be kept either hot or cold and not for more than three days for healthy adults. For the sake of a few pennies I would throw out leftovers before I would give them to an infant. Google ” leftover rice ” for a better understanding of the dangers here.

53. Beth

February 18, 2012 at 1:13 am

Can you use Brown Rice flour in the same way you use ground rice, to make rice cereal? I would boil it obviously.

54. Pingback: Brown Rice Cereal Recipe « Those Young Moms

55. Stephanie G

January 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This recipe is so great! We’ve featured it on our site this week :) Such an easy way to get some iron into their meals!

56. Pingback: INTRODUCING SOLID FOODS | Rosie Pope Maternity

57. Pingback: winn dixie weekly ad

58. Amanda S

October 24, 2011 at 8:45 am

Do you lower the temp after reaching a boil and whisking or continue to cook on high heat?

59. tmiranda01

October 8, 2011 at 7:21 am

Do you have to cook or brown the rice first, or is this a step you can safely skip?

60. Nicole M.

September 12, 2011 at 7:18 am

Wow Who knew it was this easy to make your own rice cereal! Thank you so much for all of your help on this site. :) BTW I just launched a new cooking site myself,I would be super excited if you checked it out (just in baby stages mind you) MyLoveForCooking.com. Thanks! :)

61. Alisson

August 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Hello, I toasted brown rice then blended it. I added 2 teaspoons to my baby’s formula (5 oz) and put it in the bottle.
    Questions:
    Do I have to add boiling water to the powder eventhough I toasted it ?
    Is ok to put rice cereal in the bottle?
    My baby is 4-1/2 months, is ok to start her on solids?
    Thank you for your answers.

62. Andrea

August 31, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Can it really be that easy??!! I am going to give away my unopened box of rice cereal and make this myself – Thanks!!!

63. Mandy

August 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm

can you freeze the rice cereal once it’s prepared with the water? or is it best to just make it fresh each time? Looking for best way to take to daycare for my little one.

64. Gina

August 28, 2011 at 8:38 am

Thanks so much for your recipes and ideas! I have been making this for my kittle guy but for some reason it remains lumpy. Also, when I add the rice powder to the boiling water it becomes glue in an instant. Help!

• Krista

November 4, 2011 at 10:21 am

I found out that you have to use a whisk. I also have a fine wire strainer that I put it through first to remove any lumps that there may be. Took me a couple of tries, but the last few times have been lump free :)

65. Pingback: Brown rice recipes are a healthy addition to any family Menu - Chicken Recipe, Beef Recipe, cake recipe, food network, how to cook - Chicken Recipe

66. Michelle

July 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

Could you cook this by boiling formula instead of just water, or does that not work? Just trying to figure out how this will work for my girls. Thanks!

67. tina

July 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm

hi
    brown rice i have to blend and then cookor wat

68. Pingback: Why You Should Make Your Own Baby Food

69. Pingback: Receta de papilla de arroz integral. | mimamacocina

70. The Lucky Wife

May 10, 2011 at 5:51 pm

SO glad to have found this! We’re working on a Quinoa recipe for babies. It’s always good to find new ideas.

71. Britt

March 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I love this idea!! Thank you!! I always did it the other way around, cooked it then vitamixed with extra liquid- but always made way too much and ended up having to freeze it.
    I’m curious, would this work with quinoa or oats? Blending raw then adding hot water?

March 31, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Yes it would :)

72. Jodi

March 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

I have long grain brown basmati rice, is that not good to use?

March 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Its perfect!

73. darus79

March 21, 2011 at 6:23 am

Thanks for this great idea. I still cannot make it right though.. my baby doesn’t like the texture, making sour face and shaking off :) I will try again later as I really like this recipe idea. Blending after cooking didn’t work either as it was all to sticky, even adding water or milk didn’t help.

74. Angie

March 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Is there any reason not to do this the other way around? I mean cook the rice and then puree it with a hand blender? i used to do that with oatmeal and it turned out a great texture.

75. Sue

March 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! It will definitely help everyone out there realize how easy it is to make.

Such an improvement over commercial rice cereals – especially for those children with allergies. Our son is allergic to dairy, soy, gluten and nuts, so we searched everywhere for rice cereal that did not have soy or soy lecithin in it for weeks! Finally, there was only one brand we could find, and it was special order from our local health food store.

Our lesson learned? Home made is always better (and less expensive!)

76. kristel

March 10, 2011 at 2:02 am

You said we can add in formula milk into the brown rice. Do we just add the milk powder alone and stir the brown rice? Or do we prepare the formula milk powder with water first, then add into the brown rice?

• Dandy

March 11, 2011 at 4:39 pm

You would need to prepare the formula with water first. This way you can thin it down until the desired consistency.

So if it’s too thick you can take the prepared formula (like you would have in a bottle for baby to drink) and add it until it’s thin enough for your baby.

• kristel

March 13, 2011 at 3:12 am

hi Dandy, but after I cook the brown rice, the texture is just right for my baby, like the whipped potato from Kentucky, any lesser water will burn my rice. If I prepare my formula milk with water to add in, it will become watery which is not to my baby’s liking.

77. Stehanie

March 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Love this idea! I tried to make it the other day and using the measurements specified it would not thicken. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

• Selene

February 3, 2014 at 8:51 pm

You used one of my all time favorite imaegs! Soooo pretty! What a great card!Thanks for joining the Wild Orchid Crafts Challenge this time around!Hugs, Dena

March 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

How long did you cook it for? The longer you cook it, the more thicker it gets.

• Stephanie

March 8, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I put the boiling water into it and then just let it sit…I am just realizing what I did wrong! I will give this a try tomorrow. And this time I will continue to boil the water till it thickens.

Thank you!

78. Mei Ling

March 4, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Do u wash and dry the brown rice first before grinding them into powder? If so, how do you dry the rice?

• Beth

August 31, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I have just made a batch. I washed the rice then put it in the blender and the powdered rice was quite dry. The wet stuff seemed to stick to the edges and I didn’t scrape it off. I have put it into an airtight container in the fridge and so far so good.

79. Priscilla-The Wheelchair Mommy

March 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Hi!! New here!! Baby #3 coming this summer and I plan to make more of his food then I did with the others :).

I made some but not all. I hope to be 90% homemade. (it’s so lazy, I mean easy to toss a non perishable one in the bag for long days out)

80. Heidi

March 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

What a great idea, I can’t wait to try this out :)

81. Trina

March 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Thanks Katherine. I was just going to scour your site for old baby food posts and I couldn’t believe you posted brown rice cereal just yesterday. I’ve been reading your blog since my twins were 8 months old (they just turned 3) and now I am ready to start making my own baby food again for my sweet new daughter, Everly. Thanks for such a fabulous blog!
    Trina

82. Rebecca

March 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm

With my first child I used Happy Baby rice cereal which is fortified with probiotics and helped ease his gassy stomach (and boost his immune system!!). I wonder if I could buy the supplements and add them in myself when baby #2 is ready for solids (still in utero so I have a while to research the topic!) This is easier than I expected it to be.

• Trisha

March 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

some probiotics say to only add to cold food.

• wendi

March 1, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Just make sure the probiotic is in the fridge section as their more likely to have the good bacteria in there. Just my 2 cents!

• Alyson

March 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Looks like you can. I’ve got packets of FlorastorKids probiotics that I add to expressed milk when baby gets a bottle. The package says it can be added to apple sauce and other soft baby foods.

83. Sherry

March 1, 2011 at 12:38 am

Just curious what type of molasses do you recommend? I know of blackstrap and fancy. Would either be suitable (I don’t know the difference between them)?

84. Leisel

February 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I was just wondering why short grain vs. long grain brown rice?

• Melinda P

March 1, 2011 at 5:37 am

Short grain rice has a creamier texture due to a higher amount of a starch called amylopectin. It’s better suited for applications like rice pudding, for example, than long grain rice. In making cereal, long grain rice might have a different consistency or texture, but nutritionally, really no different. Hope this helps!

February 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I haven’t used long grain, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work! Just pulse it to a fine powder :)

• Meghna

March 1, 2011 at 6:52 am

I have never used short grain rice in my house. We are Indian and have used only Basmati, which I grind for my son. I don’t know what the difference in creaminess level would be if I used a short grain rice, but my kids don’t seem to mind long-grain at all. I also have used Jasmine Rice for my kids. I love the flavors of the long grain rice, verses short grain. By the way, the only flavor of rice I haven’t grinded is Wild Rice. Does anyone have any thoughts on why Wild Rice would not be appropriate for a baby?

• Leisel

February 28, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Thanks for the answer! I wonder if there is any difference in the final product. It would be interesting to find out (I’m a few months away from needing to try, though).

85. meghna

February 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I grind all my own cereals and grains for my son. It’s so easy! So much better tasting than the store bought ones as well. Try organic brown basmati rice for a great rice cereal flavor!

86. Julia's Child

February 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I see from your photo that the result looks very VERY smooth. I never tried this at home because my second child had an alarmingly over-reacting gag reflex. He gagged on textures until months past the date when every other baby was happily eating chunky foods. The pediatrician called him The Happy Puker.
    Also, I didn’t know I would be capable of producing such a finely pureed product. I should have tried!

87. Anne

February 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Is there any way to fortify this with iron like the commercial baby cereals?

February 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Fortifying is a commercial process. Molasses has tons of iron, so I would add a bit to sweeten it up. My kids loved this cereal with molasses and mashed banana!

• Catherine, too

March 29, 2011 at 11:46 am

So does this mean that I don’t need to add an iron supplement if I’m making brown rice cereal, since the brown rice retains enough iron (as opposed to white rice, where it’s stripped out and so a supplement would need to be added back in)?

Thanks!

March 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm

88. Yvonne

February 28, 2011 at 11:55 am

I also did this with oatmeal. I would grind up a cup, cook it and then have some with my baby.

89. Tiffany

February 28, 2011 at 5:46 am

How long will the cooked brow, rice cereal keep? Can I make a larger batch afnd keep it in the fridge?

February 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

You could keep a portion of it cooked and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Just add a bit more liquid to thin it out a bit.

• Anna

February 28, 2011 at 8:24 am

I used to freeze mine in ice cube trays. Once froze, I’d transfer to a ziplock freezer bag. I think it only lasts a couple of days in the fridge.

90. food recipes

February 28, 2011 at 4:57 am

Hi Friends lot of thankssss for sharing your knowledge and i like this Picture . if you are interesting Brown Rice Cereal Recipes and other recipes then you can visit my profile .

91. Kristi

February 28, 2011 at 1:36 am

Can babies really eat molasses? My son will be one in the end of March and I would love to give him molasses if it’s true that he can eat it. My mom’s family is from Maine and I was raised eating it. I don’t think I have a single friend that likes it, so I would like to start my son early. By the way, mix molasses with peanut butter, spread it on some homemade biscuits. Nothing quite as good. Mmm…

February 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Love that combo. Oh yes, molasses is packed with iron and since it has a sweet flavor it’s a great choice to be mixed with this cereal.

• Rebeca @ The Average Parent

February 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I’ve read that molasses is on the same forbidden list as honey because of the risk of botulism. However, it’s my understanding that the risk is so minor that many cultures still feed honey, molassas and corn syrup without incidence. We Americans tend to worry, however minute the risk.