Why not make homemade brown rice cereal is the question?
Like a lot of moms, I started feeding my kids brown rice cereal when they were 6 months old. I never even thought about making it homemade. The baby food companies perform some of their most impressive marketing when it comes to this tried and true first food, because while I bought it by the boxful, it never occurred to me just how easy it would be to make it on my own. I don't know why I never thought of it before because all you need is a blender and brown rice. It truly is THE easiest thing you can make your baby. And the best part is that it cost a fraction of the price as boxed rice cereal and by making your own you can purchase organic rice too!
Packed with iron, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals, homemade brown rice cereal makes a perfect first food. No more nutritionally stripped white rice cereal or spending way too much money on pretty packaging and advertising. And while you're making a batch of this recipe you could whiz up Homemade Oatmeal Cereal too. Make it on your own and you'll have a simple food that your baby will love!
Homemade Brown Rice Cereal (4-6 servings)
- 1/2 Cup Short Grain Brown Rice (I like to use organic brown rice)
1. Place the brown rice in a spice grinder or blender for 45 seconds-1 minute or until finely ground.
* At this point you can store the rice powder in a sealed container in the refrigerator or in a cool dark place.
To make 1 serving for a 4-6 month old baby:
1. Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and sprinkle in 2 tbsp of the ground brown rice.
2. Whisk continuously for 30 seconds and then occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy to prevent any lumps from forming.
3. Serve as is or with one of the additions below.
Breast Milk Formula Molasses Banana, mashed Rice or Almond Milk Apple Sauce Baby Food Puree