Making your own Homemade Brown Rice Cereal is easy, economical, fun and a great thing to do for your baby.
Like a lot of moms, I started feeding my kids brown rice cereal when they were 6 months old. Even with all my time logged in the kitchen, I never even thought about making it homemade. For that you have to credit the big corporate baby food companies, who perform some of their most impressive marketing when it comes to this tried and true first food. Now it amazes me how while I bought it by the boxful, it didn’t occur to me for the longest time just how easy it would be to make it on my own. It’s a shocking thing to admit given that it’s almost as simple a recipe as boiling water. All you need is a blender and brown rice — it’s truly the easiest meal you can make for your baby.
Packed with iron, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals, homemade brown rice cereal makes a perfect first food for babies. It’s nutritional value way surpasses white rice cereal, where all the good stuff is stripped out, leaving not much behind. The other awesome part about the DIY version besides the ease of making it and the health benefits is that it costs a mere fraction of what we pay for boxed rice cereal. Why spend all that money on one simple ingredient? You’re basically just paying for pretty packaging. Even if you buy the most expensive organic brown rice you can find, per serving you’ll still be paying less than the equivalent amount of rice cereal you’d buy in the store.
And while you’ve got your blender out making a batch of this recipe you could whiz up some Homemade Oatmeal Cereal too. This is something I always enjoyed doing with my kids when they were babies. It’s a great way for them to make early connections about where there food comes from.
Try it and you’ll always have a simple food on hand that your baby will love!
Homemade Brown Rice Cereal
- 1/2 Cup Short Grain Brown Rice (I like to use organic brown rice)
- Place the brown rice in a spice grinder or blender for 45 seconds-1 minute or until finely ground.
- * At this point you can store the rice powder in a sealed container in the refrigerator or in a cool dark place.
To make 1 serving for a 4-6 month old baby:
- Bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil and sprinkle in 2 tbsp of the ground brown rice.
- Whisk continuously for 30 seconds and then occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Serve as is or with one of the additions below.