Kid-Friendly Salsa

Kiddie Salsa

Yum

The seasons are really starting to change and our local Farmers’ Market is being visited by fruits and veggies whose faces haven't been seen since last summer. Even though it's still early in the season, a few farmers are already selling gorgeous, red, ripe tomatoes perfect for making homemade salsa.

My kids adore most of the flavors in salsa, but if there's too much jalapeno in it they always make a face -- their little eyes open wide and the word, "SPICY!" fills the kitchen. So last night I made them a one-two punch of "no spicy guacamole" (as they call it) and my Kiddie Salsa.

After picking some of the fast-growing cilantro from our garden, I grabbed Chloe a stool, a cutting board and her kiddy knife so we could stand side by side together at the kitchen counter, chopping up the ingredients and squeezing in the lime juice. Some would call it an occupational hazard, but to me watching a two year old cook is just about the cutest thing in the world. Chloe was so proud of herself, but the best part of the night was when we all sat down as a family for dinner and she said, "look what I made everybody!" My heart melted, but this time nobody’s taste buds did. The familiar salsa refrain of, “spicy!” was replaced by the heavenly sound of my family’s smacking lips and forks and spoons clinking on empty plates.

Kiddie Salsa  (Serves 4)

• 2 cups tomatoes, chopped (about 4 tomatoes)
  • 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • salt to taste

1. 1. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and puree.*
  2. 2. Serve with tortilla chips.
  3. * If you prefer your salsa a bit chunkier, simply put all of the ingredients in a bowl and then stir to combine.
Kiddie Salsa

Comments

1. Pingback: Salsa—5 different ways | 40 North

2. Pingback: Kiddie Salsa | Our Journey Making Memories

3. Pingback: Kiddie Salsa | The Yummy Cats

4. Kelly

June 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm

My daughter’s review: I just made this but I don’t know if I should put it in the fridge or not. Mom hasn’t tried it yet, but it is delicious . It looks liqudy and I only put half of it in the blender. So put mabe 1/4 of a cup of the mixture into a blender or food processer if you want it a bit chunky.

5. Weight Loss

November 8, 2011 at 10:28 am

It?s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

6. Pingback: Make Your Own: Kid-Friendly Salsa | Baby In The Kitchen

7. Victoria

April 14, 2011 at 9:25 am

Please check out an excerpt below from an article regarding Agave syrup.

Also something to consider as far as teaching your children lessons. The beautiful agave plant grows for about 7-10 years spending all its energy and life force to create it’s sap or nectar in order to reproduce when harvesting agave we then take that from it, it can no longer produce more and we have effectively destroyed it’s reason for living.

Just some things to think about but read up about agave, it might not be as healthy as you think it is…

The Myth of Agave as a “Healthy” Sugar Substitute

- Agave syrup is neither a natural food nor organic. Fully chemically processed sap from the agave plant is known as hydrolyzed high fructose inulin syrup. According to Dr. Ingrid Kohlstadt, a fellow of the American College of Nutrition and an associate faculty member at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health:

“[Agave is] almost all fructose, highly processed sugar with great marketing.”

- Agave syrup is not low calorie. Agave syrup is about 16 calories per teaspoon, the same as table sugar.

- Agave syrup may not have a low glycemic index. Depending upon where the agave comes from and the amount of heat used to proc­ess it, your agave syrup can be anywhere from 55 percent to 90 percent fructose! (And it’s likely you won’t be able to tell from the product label.)

This range of fructose content hardly makes agave syrup a logical choice if you’re hoping to avoid the high levels of fructose in HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). And if you’re diabetic, you should know that the alleged benefit of agave for diabetics is purely speculative. Very few agave studies have been docu­mented, and most involved rats. There have been no clinical studies done on its safety for diabetics. Since most agave syrup has such a high percentage of fructose, your blood sugar will likely spike just as it would if you were consuming regular sugar or HFCS, and you would also run the risk of raising your triglyceride levels. It’s also important to understand that whereas the glucose in other sugars are converted to blood glucose, fructose is a relatively unregulated source of fuel that your liver converts to fat and cholesterol.

A significant danger here is that fructose does not stimulate your insulin secretion, nor enhance leptin production, which is thought to be involved in appetite regulation. (This was detailed in one of the most thorough scientific analyses published to date on this topic.) . Because insulin and leptin act as key signals in regulating how much food you eat, as well as your body weight, dietary fructose can also contribute to increased food intake and weight gain. Therefore, if you need to lose weight, fructose is one type of sugar you’ll definitely want to avoid, no matter what the source is.

8. Clarity

April 12, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Sweetest thing I ever heard, a two-year-old presenting her salsa! Congratulations to Chloe and Happy Birthday again!

9. Tabitha

April 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

YAY! I’ve been waiting for this recipe for a long time :) I knew it would come sooner or later ! :)

10. Leslie

April 12, 2011 at 11:52 am

You could just ask for the safety cutter knife from pampered chef and they’d know what you’re talking about. My kiddo uses hers all of the time!

11. Mindy

April 12, 2011 at 11:19 am

I agree! I’d love to know what type of knife Chloe uses!! My kids use “pumpkin carving knives” for apples and peppers, but they don’t work well for things like tomatoes and cilantro. Please share!
    Thanks!!!

12. Kristina M Tyler

April 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

I too was going to ask about Chloe’s knife. I would also love to get one for my two year old. I am definately going to check out the one from Pampered Chef. Is there a name for it or if I ask for a child’s knife will they know what I am talking about? Thanx!

13. Darcy

April 12, 2011 at 7:18 am

What kind of knife does she use? I would like to get one for my son – he loves to help too!

• Elizabeth

April 12, 2011 at 7:44 am

Pampered Chef makes a really good one that runs around $4.

14. Tamara

April 12, 2011 at 2:34 am

Yum! I’ve never made my own salsa but I would love to. Are there certain kinds of tomatoes that you like better than others for making salsa with?

• Christine

April 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Definitely NOT Roma tomatoes; they aren’t juicy, but pretty much any other, I believe.

15. Pingback: Weelicious ™ – Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food … | Easy Family Style Recipes