Carrot Apple Coconut Muffins

As the name of this recipe states, these muffins are made with carrot, apple and coconut and are so naturally sweet and tender, you could put a few in your kids’ Easter baskets and they wouldn’t be at all out of place. And while muffins may not be an obvious substitute for jelly beans, Peeps or chocolate eggs, I guarantee they won’t disappoint your little Easter bunnies!

Carrot Apple Coconut Muffins  (Makes 30 Mini Muffins)

Easter is almost here and my kids are already asking what kind of treats they'll be getting. Maybe it’s because they hang around me too much, but when my guys know a holiday is coming up, it's all about the food for them. As the name of this...

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 2 carrots, peeled & grated, about 1 cup
  • 1 apple, peeled and grated, about 1/2 cup (gala, fuji, pink lady or red delicious are good choices)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 1/2 cup honey

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. 2. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl.
  3. 3. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
  4. 4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine.
  5. 5. Place 1 tbsp of batter into greased mini muffin tins.
  6. 6. Bake for 15 minutes.
Carrot Apple Coconut Muffins

Comments

1. nbarros

February 8, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Am I really supposed to put the first 7 ingredients together first (so mix the dry ingredients with the apple, carrot and coconut)? The mixture had such a strange texture and then didn’t mix very well with the wet ingredients. Sorry if that’s a silly question – I’m not really a baker.

2. Kristin @ Heartofafarmgirl

February 4, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I make these all the time and my kids (and husband) LOVE them. I add coconut extract and coconut oil (melted) to replace the vegetable oil. Love how moist they are.

3. Pingback: Apple, Coconut & Carrot Breakfast Muffins

4. Pingback: "Let’s do this together" | Tiny Green Elephants

5. Pingback: Whole Wheat Carrot Apple Almond Coconut Muffins | Soul Munchies

6. Astrid

September 24, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Hello!
    Thanks for such a delicious & healthy recipe. Swapped out the honey for rice malt syrup (as 10 month old of course cant have honey) and baked in full sized tins. Fluffy, moist, not too sweet and just perfect for baby lead weaning!! 3 year old Rexford had a great time baking these with me and gave them a big two thumbs up!

Thanks again

7. liz smith

June 10, 2013 at 8:04 pm

perfect recipe again! i had two others- one too basic, one too healthy and this is the perfect blend! in the oven and cant wait! will top with a healthy cream cheese frosting and my kids think they are cupcakes!

8. Karen

April 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Fresh out of the oven. They are so moist and delicious! My 12 month old loved your zucchini muffins, so, I wanted to make these ones this time. Next is going to be ( which I’ve made before) the ricotta bites. I bought a mini muffin pan 4 yrs ago mainly because of your great recipes. I love them all!

9. MA

March 31, 2013 at 7:01 am

How long would you cook for full sized muffins? Thank you for the recipe!

April 1, 2013 at 10:16 am

About 18-20 minutes!

10. tagknits

March 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I made this and really liked the combination on paper but I think it is missing some cinnamon or even more vanilla. I will try this the next time. I also used sweetened coconut because that’s all I had on hand and I found the muffins still lacking in flavor. I grew up eating low sugar baking because my father was a severe Type 1 diabetic and have continued the practice with my sons so although many are trying to reduce sugar and many other items, I think we need to also teach our kids moderation when eating. Sorry for the mini-rant, I am tired of holier than thou parents trying to put everyone down because they use a little sugar or white flour. Catherine I like your recipes because you try to use a substitute when possible but you truly have a good a balance in your recipes.

11. Pam

March 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

These were a total hit. I used coconut oil instead and used 1/2 the honey since the carrots and apples were so sweet themselves! Wondering if this would taste as good with a different flour just for variety.

12. Kelly

March 22, 2013 at 10:45 am

I adapted this recipe to fit our pursuit of an organic, unprocessed diet and my son loved them! Thanks for sharing!

13. Roja

March 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Your recipes are superbbbb.. My little one loved all your recipes which I tried.. And you are awesome mam..

• Roneta

February 4, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Reblogged this on and commented:Here’s an open iniviatton Join the most UNOFFICIALLY official PHOTO CHALLENGE this week!!!Much Love and Light . and PHOTOGRAPHIC REFLECTIONS too ALL!!! ) Mystiic

14. mduncan07

March 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Is there any substitution for the honey—my 9 month old would love these for breakfast or a snack but she’s too young for honey

March 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

You can use agave in place of honey at a 1:1 ratio!

15. Pingback: sweet potato mini muffin recipe

16. UntoldPromises

January 27, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Hey, I’m a 17 year old girl who is trying to be more healthy as well as my family.
    I made this and it was DELICIOUS! Surprisingly filling too.
    Love it :)
    Will be making more in the future.
    P.S. I LOOOOVE your website! All the other websites are waaay too fatty and full of sugar but yours is delicious AND nutritious! Thank you :)
    -Rachel <3

17. Lora

January 23, 2013 at 7:43 am

Just made these muffins. I have to say they are pretty good! Only thing I did different was add some ground flax seed. Next time I may try a tad more vanilla extract and possibly a little cinnamon for a bit more favor but I will differently be making this recipe again, thanks!

18. Janine

January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Just made these for my 2 1/2 year old and he loves them! He also HATES veggies, so I’m glad these have carrots in them!

19. Juliana

January 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I’d love to try these! Have you ever made them with whole wheat flour? Thank you.

January 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I would try doing half and half white and whole wheat, or try using white whole wheat flour!

20. Pingback: Quick, Healthy Back-to-School Food Ideas & Tips for Moms | genConnect

21. lilrom

August 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Can you freeze these? If so how long would you recommend?I do not have much time for cooking during the week so I have to do a lot of cooking ahead of time on the weekends.Thanks for the recipes.

August 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Yes you can! I try to leave things like muffins in the freezer no longer than 3 months! :)

22. Kat

April 27, 2012 at 2:41 am

Best. Muffins. Ever. Made them for a 2 yr old playdate & all the kids AND Mommies loved them. My substitutes: an extra egg, plus about a fourth of a cup of toasted millet (got the idea from the apricot millet muffins- toasted them in the oven for 10 min while I made the muffins). They were moist & crunchy- great combo!

23. maria

April 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm

OR coconut oil instead of canola oil?

April 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Another great substitution! You’re on a roll!

24. maria

April 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm

What about using almond meal instead of flour to make it even healthier??

April 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm

That is a great substitution!

25. Pingback: Carrot Apple Coconut Muffins « Kids in the Sink

26. Pingback: last-minute muffins: coconut apple carrot | the patron saint of pie

27. Eva

March 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’ve tried these twice now and both times they’ve turned out flat and spongey, mostly because even after 20 minutes they’re still a little soggy in the middle. I’ve followed everything to a T with the exception of leaving out the coconut. Could that really make that much of a difference?

28. Pingback: white chocolate craisin granola bars | Mom's Secret Weapon

29. April

January 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Just made these–delicious! I used almond milk and added cinnamon and nutmeg. They are moist and just sweet enough. Thanks for wonderful, healthy baking recipes.

30. Pingback: dog treat recipes

31. Pingback: china spring festival,chinese new year

32. Pingback: What Can We Make? | Mom's Secret Weapon

33. raisin bran muffins,bran muffins,muffins

December 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

Woah this weblog is excellent i really like studying your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You understand, a lot of people are looking around for this information, you can help them greatly.

34. Erica

November 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm

God bless you and thank you for being so generous with your knowledge. I so appreciate this recipe!! Making them now!!

35. Jennifer

November 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

If I make regular sized muffins, how many does this recipe make?

36. Pamela

October 18, 2011 at 11:33 pm

My almost-4-year-old and I made these this evening and they came out perfect and delicious. I ran out of honey (arrrrgh!) so filled in with agave and my son insisted we add cinnamon, but other than that I followed the recipe. Wonderful muffins, thank you! They are to be the snack for my son’s preschool class tomorrow.

37. Erica

October 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm

These are so good! Oddly enough, I don’t have a muffin tin, so I used small loaf pans and baked for about 40-45 min. My son is still napping and the bread being warm and freshly baked is becoming a problem for me to stay away from!

I omitted the coconut, simply because I forgot to put it in- still good. I’ll make again and try it with the coconut. :)

38. Catherine

October 5, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Great recipe! We thought they were very tasty :-)

39. HereticPrincess

September 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Those look really good, and @Juliek:the idea of putting a slice of cheese inside sounds delicious, I love cheese. ;)

40. Theresa787

September 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm

These taste almost like cupcakes! They are so sweet, moist and delicious. We made them with 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour. We also set the oven to 325, instead of 350. For some reason when I bake with honey the temperature needs to be lower, or else whatever I bake comes out dry. Thank you again for another yummy recipe.

41. Emily

August 16, 2011 at 12:24 am

Made these with no coconut as both my kiddos are allergic..added raisins..omg. Wonderful!

42. Andrea

July 24, 2011 at 12:54 am

HI, my daughter is an extremely picky eater. I finally got her to try muffin, so I’ve been making some of your delicious muffins for her with a few substitution. Can I use oat flour instead of the white flour? Would the quantity be the same?
    Thank you so much. Looking forward to more nutritional muffin recipes. You have no idea how happy I am to have found your website and see my daughter (who has been a horrible eater for almost a year) finally eating something rather than dry cereal ;)

43. Jennifer

July 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

These are in the oven as I’m typing and smell delish! I used half whole wheat & half all purpose flour and like others, added some cinnamon. Will be using these mainly for on-the-go snacks for my busy 2 year old son. Thanks for all the great recipes!!

44. JulieK

July 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Like many others, I did some substitutions — didn’t have coconut, so I replaced that with grated zucchini and extra apple. I also used mostly whole wheat flour, and didn’t have honey so used brown sugar plus a little extra milk. Also added plain yogurt for some of the milk.

…A lot of substitutions, I guess! But they turned out perfectly — very tasty, moist, not too sweet, I think my 16-month old is going to love them.

Thanks for the good recipe that is fruit & veggie heavy!

• JulieK

July 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Forgot to say, I also added finely chopped walnuts, plus cinnamon & allspice. The nuts are a nice texture.

For a filling mini-sandwich, you can take a warm muffin, split it in half and put a small slice of cheese inside!

45. Tara

June 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm

These were truly amazing!! My 20 month old loved them, as did my husband who typically wouldn’t eat muffins. I used coconut oil and agave nectar and they were great!

46. MA

June 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Really nice recipe. Love how it incorporates carrots. My 1-year old loved them!! My 3 year-old needs them a little sweeter..she’s a little too used to bakery muffins that probably have too much sugar. Not sure how to make it a bit sweeter, but still keep it healthy? I love them and recommend the recipe!

47. Stephanie

May 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Would it work to use coconut milk instead of milk?

May 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Yes! I would use light coconut milk :)

48. Petagay

May 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I just made these and they were awesome. Everyone loved them. They were supposed to be a treat for my baby who just turned one (he loved them) but everyone else loved them too. I’m so sorry I didn’t make more.

49. Michelle

May 11, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I made a dozen of these regular sized muffins today. I did bake them for 25 minutes (any longer would burn- take out immediately) and substituted 1 whole banana instead of the eggs. My 17 month old is allergic to eggs. These came out delicious!!! Followed the rest of the recipe exactly as stated. Thanks so much for helping us moms out with healthy, new recipes!

50. Kim

May 4, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I just made these tonight and they are delicious! When I was squeezing out 1/2 cup of honey, I was thinking that it seemed like A LOT of honey. But the muffins turned out to be perfectly sweetened, which is to say not very much.

I did use applesauce instead of grating an apple and while they may be different in consistency, I can’t tell without having a comparison. I, also, used almond extract instead of vanilla extract (with this substitution I used a little less than the recipe called for) because I was out of vanilla extract and didn’t know it before I got started.

My 14 month old ate 2 of these right away!

51. Jen

May 3, 2011 at 6:50 pm

My 16 month old son LOVED these!!! Thank you for sharing such amazing recipes:)

52. Pingback: Apple Picks | The Picky Apple

53. Jen

May 1, 2011 at 10:27 am

Just made these for breakfast this am, subbed one carrot for a very small zucchini but followed the rest of the recipe exactly. These are delicious! My 15 month old is on her 4th mini muffin!

54. Danielle Ballard

April 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm

These are SOOOOO good! I followed the recipe, except that I used whole wheat flour and in place of 1/2 cup of the flour I used a 1/2 cup of almond meal (oh, and a dash of cinnamon too!) – really, these are to DIE for – I will be making these a lot in the future :) Thanks for another delicious (and healthy) recipe!!!

55. Sabrina

April 23, 2011 at 11:35 am

I just made these for my 11 month old daughter and they are fantastic, baby and mom approved. I made only a few minor adjustments; I used sweetened coconut(it’s what I had on hand) so in return reduced the amount of honey by 2Tbsp less. For extra flavor I added 1/2Tbsp of cinnamon, 1/4tsp nutmeg and 1/8tsp allspice to the dry ingredients. My house smells great!

56. Candace

April 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Just made! So delicious! My little one isn’t up so I’m not sure what he thinks of them but my husband loves them and he can be quite picky!

57. Sarah

April 22, 2011 at 2:43 pm

WOW. Just took these out of the oven and my two year old is on his third and making “num num” sounds. Made just as Catherine specified, they are perfect! And they are very suitable for additions like bran and raisins. SO MOIST!!!

58. Erin

April 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm

These are fantastic! My daughter scarfed down 4 of them, right after the other. And she hates carrots. :-)

I didn’t have enough honey, so I did half honey, half organic maple syrup. I also added a few dashes of allspice, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Totally reminds me of apple cake. Thanks for this recipe!

59. Raquel Santos

April 20, 2011 at 8:38 am

I just finished making these and they are by far one of the best muffins I have ever made! Super moist and delicious! I used agave nectar instead of honey, and also used sweetened coconut flakes because thats what I had, delicious! I also did not make mini muffins, but regular and followed the recent comment for 25 minutes, perfect!

60. Linda messer

April 20, 2011 at 7:55 am

Making now! They are very easy and look so yummy!

61. TB

April 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I always use coconut oil in all your recipes, so I’m sure it’s going to go great with these!!! Can’t wait to try them.

• maria

April 4, 2012 at 10:27 pm

How did the coconut oil turn out instead of using canola oil? Can the unsweetened coconut be the fine shreds instead of the flakes? Great idea with the walnuts! I’m definitely adding those for a little extra crunch.

Raisins always go so nice with carrots..anyone try adding those too or is that too much? I’ve used rice miik in muffins too and the sweetness is better than almond milk and works well. Thanks a lot! They sound great! I’m also making a frosting with cashews and dates processed..yumy! :) Thank you!

62. kelly

April 19, 2011 at 9:01 pm

This look yummy!! Cpl questions my lil one and I have a dairy intolerence and are drinking Natura rice milk will it mess up the recipe too much? Also, egg replacer? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    xoxoxo

• Kelsie

October 23, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Better late than never! I recently used 2tbsp of corn starch and 2tbsp water to replace an egg….and there were 6 of them in the doubled muffin recipe I was using, so it worked out to 3/4c corn starch, and 3/4c water. It worked GREAT! I also use almond milk in place of milk in my baking and it works fine. My toddler is allergic enough to milk that he can’t have margarine due to the whey in it, so I’ve also just been substituting canola oil, and no problems so far! HTH!

63. Ashlee

April 19, 2011 at 3:37 pm

These are super yummy!!! Such a light taste, love the mild coconut flavor! I love the suggestion someone made about adding nuts to them too, I think I’ll try that next time!

64. Lisa P

April 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm

We made these today, yum! We used all whole wheat flour and otherwise followed the recipe. Delicious and not too sweet. These should freeze nicely for a snack for my 1.5 year old, too.

65. Ashley

April 19, 2011 at 10:46 am

We only have sweetened coconut flakes. Should I reduce the honey due to the added sugar in the coconut?

• Raquel Santos

April 20, 2011 at 8:39 am

Hi, I used sweetened coconut flakes, and they still turned out wonderful. I used agave nectar, but I dont think you will have an issue with honey either.

66. Beth

April 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

These are delicious! I just made them with white whole wheat flour- regular size muffins and cooked for 23 minutes. Yum!!!

• Wejdi

February 4, 2014 at 2:32 am

I hope you hear good news for this coming year! That’s amoeswe you got to ride your bike over the bridge-so cool! Happy New Year! Jennifer:)

67. sinead

April 19, 2011 at 2:41 am

Are these suitable for under 1yrs due to honey?

• Megan

April 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

I used agave nectar instead of honey since my son is under a year, and they turned out great!

• J

July 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Try brown rice syrup or maple syrup

• jeannez

April 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm

FYI – agave nectar (like honey) is not pasteurized so try to avoid giving it to children under than 1

• Marin

April 30, 2011 at 7:51 am

But, since they are baked, either honey or agave would be safe.

• Sabrina

August 28, 2011 at 10:07 am

Actually, baking doesn’t reach a high enough temperature to kill the botulism that can be in honey. If you have a young one, just use sugar until they are over 1 year.

68. Theresa

April 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I just made them and they are so yummy! Would it work to add nuts or would it change the consistancy too much?

April 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm

It would be so yummy if you add nuts, it will add extra moisture depending on what nut you use because of its natural oils :)

69. Adriana

April 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm

What can I substitute coconut for/how much? Thanks!

April 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm

you can leave the coconut out :) unfortunately, I can’t really think of anything that can be substituted for coconut flakes that has the same texture and consistency.

• JulieK

July 12, 2011 at 11:48 am

I just made my second batch – they’re so delicious – and I found that an equal amount of finely chopped or smashed walnuts work very well as a substitute for coconut.

70. Shannon

April 18, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Can I use applesauce instead of oil?

April 18, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I have never tried it, some people say it works in muffins but it will definitely have a different consistency.

71. Mary

April 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Could I use applesauce instead of an apple?

April 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm

The consistency might change a bit so I would stick with the apple, you can test it out with the sauce and let me know how it goes :)

• Grace

April 19, 2011 at 8:32 am

You could try chunky applesauce.

72. Lisa

April 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

These sound great! Thanks!

73. katrina

April 18, 2011 at 10:19 am

these sounds awsome, do you think they would work with soy milk instead of regular milk? my 18month old daughter had a lactose intolrance.

• britney

April 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

We made these this am with soymilk and they tasted great, my LO has a milk allergy so we always swap it out so far everythings tasted great!

74. Lisa

April 18, 2011 at 8:15 am

How long should I bake them for regular sized muffins? Looking forward to making these this week.

• Ashlee

April 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I made them tonight and made a dozen regular sized muffins and baked them for 25 minutes.

75. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

April 18, 2011 at 8:00 am

What an interesting combination! I may have to try these with some whole wheat pastry flour. :-)

76. Allison

April 18, 2011 at 7:56 am

These look delicious! We are off for spring break this week and will definitely be making these!

77. meghna

April 18, 2011 at 6:42 am

Oh bless you! I have been looking for a recipe to match my favorite store bought muffins for months now! These seem similar to the Morning Glory muffins at Whole Foods, which I crave. I am making them today!!

78. Lauren@SimplyLKJ

April 18, 2011 at 5:43 am

Sounds delicious! Always looking for yummy muffins/cakes without chocolate as my daughter can longer have it. This is perfect!!

79. CuteEverything

April 18, 2011 at 12:59 am

Yummy! That recipe is definitely a keeper. Like healthy carrot cake! I may mix cream cheese and honey for “frosting”. Thank you!