Roast Asian Veggies

Every Sunday night I cut up the huge amount of veggies that we buy at the Farmers’ Market, place them on a big sheet pan and roast them up for us to eat over the next few days. I find that keeping simply cooked, intensely flavored vegetables in the fridge is an easy way to fill the school lunch box or make dinner easier for me to get on the table in no time flat.

Sometimes I toss my vegetables with a touch of maple syrup or some fresh herbs, but one of my kids’ new favorite ways to eat them is with a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil. It's amazing how just a dash and sprinkle of a few uncommon ingredients transforms a food that my kids normally enjoy into something completely different that they love just as much.

Roast Asian Veggies  (Serves 4)

• 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. 2. Place florets on a greased baking sheet, top with soy sauce and sesame oil, and toss to coat evenly.
  3. 3. Bake for 30 minutes until golden, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Roast Asian Veggies

Comments

1. Suzanne C.

March 20, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Seems like whenever I’m in a dinner pinch I can turn to your site, and find something perfect! This is so simple, but just different enough from the usual way we eat our veggies that the kids loved it! We just did this as a main dish with rice for a light meat-free dinner. Thanks again for saving my suppertime!

2. Adriana

February 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

How do I alter the recipe if my veggies are frozen? thanks!

3. Pingback: Baby Diaper Cakes

4. TS

May 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

You mentioned roasting veggies with maple syrup as well. It sounds like a great idea. Do you need any oil, and how much maple syrup do you use? Thanks!

5. Ana

May 10, 2011 at 10:42 am

Would this work with frozen broccoli and cauliflower?

6. jackie

May 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Beautiful and simple. I’m inspired to make a batch this Sunday!

7. Amy

April 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

So delicious and so simple. Love this one.

8. Rollers

April 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

A lot of soy sauce has gluten in it, so be careful! We use Braggs Amino Acids as a substitute.

9. Jeannette

April 27, 2011 at 10:27 am

I make these veggies all the time, for , my 1 yr old he loves them! I toss mine in Olive Oil and salt and pepper. I will have to try the soy. yum!

10. Peggy

April 27, 2011 at 12:03 am

I’m Asian. Sometimes we just blanch the veggies in the pot, drain it, and add a dash of oyster sauce and sesame oil. Yummy!

11. Ashley

April 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I added sesame seeds that were on sale to my Peapod order last night. So excited to try out his recipe tomorrow when my order gets here!

12. EmH

April 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

We made this tonight with our dinner, and it was delicious! Lots of flavor, yum.

13. Ann-Louise

April 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I love the asian touch! I usually make my roasted veggies with olive oil and thymes but I can’t wait to try this.

14. momma2boys

April 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Just made this. I only used broccoli because that’s all I had. Excellent recipe. I will be using this a lot. Yummy!

• Renata

February 2, 2014 at 10:33 pm

here a few starters .1.when you cook use fat free clerstoeol free cooking spray2. no sugar/sweets3.eat salad with your meals4. use wishbone spritzers *only 2 callories* a spray5. replace dinner with a slim fast. eat a regular breakfast, eat a dinner lunch * because you will have a day to burn it off ..instead of eating a huge dinner then going to bed ..you could eat your dinner at lunch time and slim fast shake fills you up!!!!!at night . its going great for me .i think its only 190 calories ..6. take your vitamines and fiber lots of fruit and veggeis .. good luck

15. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

April 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I love Asian flavors!

16. meghna

April 26, 2011 at 9:17 am

I make something similar and just serve it cold out of the fridge like a salad for leftovers. It’s delicious cold! Add some sauteed onions and almonds to turn it into a cold asian veggie salad. My 2 year old loves it!

17. Shirley

April 26, 2011 at 3:06 am

HI…you say that you roast a big batch of these for use during the week…how do you store and reheat the veggies?

• Kirsten

April 26, 2011 at 7:39 am

yes, this is a wonderful idea, i do the same thing thought not every week. I store them in a glass bowl that has a lid and to reheat i microwave but you could always toss them in a wok or other pan until they’re warm