Roasted Honey Cinnamon Chickpeas

There are so many snack foods on the market, but how many of them are actually nutritious? The shelves of most supermarkets are overflowing with a seemingly endless amount of snack food choices, the majority of which, at best, contain a good deal of salt, sugar, hydrogenated oils and more. You can't even completely rely on the label "organic" when it comes to packaged food. Sure, it may mean what you're buying contains less pesticides than the non-organic alternatives, but that doesn't mean it isn't made with additives and a host other stuff you'd rather not be feeding your family.

These Roasted Cinnamon Honey Chickpeas are my version of healthy junk food. They're probably not prepared the way you're used to eating chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans), which are soft in texture once cooked and traditionally used as the basis for savory dishes like hummus, soups and stews. Instead, these are super crunchy and sweetened with a light coating of cinnamon and honey, making them even more addictive than those junky snacks you can't pry out of your child's hands. In fact, with only three wholesome ingredients including the protein packed chickpeas, you'd be hard pressed to find another snack food that's this good for you.

I brought a container of them with me to Chloe's gymnastics class last week where the kids and moms camped out afterwards for their mid-morning snack couldn't get over the fact that they were eating beans. One mom came over to ask me, "where did you buy these"? Mission accomplished!

Roasted Honey Cinnamon Chickpeas  (makes about 2 cups)

• 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Place the beans between two paper towels and pat dry, loosening the outer skin of the beans.
  3. 3. Remove the outer skins of the beans and pat dry to remove any other excess liquid (removing the outer skin of the beans takes a few minutes, but it’s a great job for getting kids involved).
  4. 4. Whisk the cinnamon and oil in a bowl to combine, add the beans stirring to coat and place on a baking sheet.
  5. 5. Roast for 40 minutes.
  6. 6. Remove the beans from the oven, place in a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of honey.
  7. 7. Place the beans back into the oven and roast an additional 7 minutes.
  8. 8. Cool completely and serve.
  9. * Store in a covered container on your counter for up to 2 weeks
Roasted Honey Cinnamon Chickpeas

Comments

1. Arooj

December 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

Hey..
    Chickpeas were very tasty but turned out very hard …Why is it so : /

2. Tina Churchill

October 11, 2013 at 4:25 am

I’ve made these twice now and the first time was a bit of a disaster. They shrank and burnt so this time I have adjusted the cooking time to 20mins plus the 7 mins and they look more like your picture.
    Just wondered if they should be soft on the inside or crunchy? I imagined them crunchy. I also added sesame seeds to the honey and they look quite pretty.

• Jennie

October 25, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Tina – I had the same issue – mine turned out mushy,, dry and flavorless. They look so delicious; I’d love to know how to get them crispy!

3. Pingback: 5 Pantry Must-Haves | Life, Love and the Pursuit of Play

4. Heather

September 29, 2013 at 7:21 pm

These are my daughter and I’s new fave snack, and perfect for her nut free lunch!! I linked these to my post “5 Pantry Must-Haves” :)

5. Pingback: How to make :: Chickpea Crunchies | The Savory & The Beautiful

6. Terra Sison

September 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I’m going to have to try these. They seem perfect for a pre and post work out snack;

7. Pingback: Cinnamon Vanilla Roasted Chickpeas | Jessie Loves To Run

8. April Gaietto

July 24, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Just made these and they’re pretty good! What a neat idea! Thanks!

9. Angie Harris

March 30, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I just recently found your website, and it has a lot of awesome ideas. I am making the cinnamon roasted chickpeas tonight, and they are in the oven roasting now. They smell delicious. can’t wait to try them once they are done! :)

10. Lori B.

March 10, 2013 at 9:16 am

Turned out amazing! Everyone should have a oven thermometer in their ovens no matter how expensive their ovens are. I have lived in 7 homes and each oven was very very off, both gas and electric. They are dirt cheap, just go get one. :)

11. Lisa

February 4, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I made these but substituted 1/2 tblsp maple syrup for the honey….they were a big hit!!

12. Amanda

January 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm

This is my son’s favorite snack. We always have a batch made in our home.
    I love your site and have mentioned it a few times on my youtube channel. Thanks for all the great recipes!

• Buddy

February 4, 2014 at 7:32 am

I’m imepessrd. You’ve really raised the bar with that.

13. Jessie

January 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Just made these for my 2 year old who loves nuts, and they turned out perfectly! I followed the recipe exactly, and it worked for me :) I agree that de-skinning the chickpeas takes a bit longer than I expected.

14. itsgigglegirl

December 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm

The recipe should note that you’re going to need 2 -3 cans. One is definitely not going to last around here :) Even my husband, who “hates” cinnamon loves these and has packed some for his lunch tomorrow!

15. Mandi

November 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I LOVE chickpeas. LOVE them. And this recipe was no exception. The house smelled delicious while they were cooking, and I only wish I had cooked more! I will caution, though, that de-skining the beans takes longer than “a few minutes” (about 25) if you don’t have help. Thanks for the simple recipe!

16. MRK

September 27, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Here you say to do 40 min without the honey then 7 minutes after adding the honey. In your video you say 40 and 40 but a subtitle notes that you meant 7 without the honey and then 40 with…which is right ? Do we start with 40 and then do 7 at the end after adding honey ? Or the reverse ?

September 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm

40 minutes first. Then add the honey and bake for an additional 7 minutes!

17. Pingback: Making a healthy snack « Turning Over a New Leaf

18. Anastacia

July 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I can’t wait to try this yummy snack! Q: Is it possible to sub oil for coconut oil? I don’t have the other oil on hand. Thanks!

July 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Coconut oil should work as well, and it will lend a different flavor. Try it and let me know your results!

19. Pingback: Cinnamon + Honey Roasted Chickpeas | taylor page foley

20. Tiffany

April 15, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Just made these and they burned to a crisp. Guess I should have read the comments first. I’ll definitely try again one day using a shorter cooking time because they do sound tasty!

21. Tonia

March 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Just made these, sooo yummy. had to take mine out 10 minutes before the time was up because some were burning(my oven must be different) added the honey and didn’t put them back in. the kids just ate them all lol going to have to get some more.

22. Pingback: Holy Goodness Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas « Crunchy Soup

23. Pingback: mutual funds

24. gwendomama

January 10, 2012 at 12:21 am

To take the skins off easily, just pour drained chick peas on a paper towel lined baking sheet. place another paper towel on top of peas and rub gently in circular motions, until most skins come loose and peas are more dry. Don’t worry about the remaining skins on peas.
    Discard paper towels and skins, and then proceed to toss in oil and roast.

25. Pingback: Best Acne Face Wash

26. Pingback: goodpcgames

27. Naomi G.

November 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Yum! Just made my first batch, and I’ve already eaten most of them. I just drizzled on the oil, so I might had used less than a Tbsp. Next time I’ll probably cook an extra 5 minutes or so as some of the centers are a tiny bit soft. LOVE this recipe, except for the removal of the skins, especially if next time I plan on quadrupling.

28. Pingback: Waging War on My Kids’ Appetites « abettermum

29. adamswife

August 26, 2011 at 7:37 pm

fantastic snack! but it took me FOREVER to make. i use chickpeas a lot to make hummus and i normally soak them and boil them myself – to save money. however – canned chickpeas are MUCH easier to shell. i used chickpeas that i had boiled myself and peeling them was a two hour job :) i had doubled the recipe.

ANYWAY – as far as this tasty little snack goes – i followed the recipe but added a little sea salt at the end. so good!
    thanks for this recipe.

30. Erin

August 18, 2011 at 10:46 am

I found a great way to remove the skins: Place a textured dishtowel on a dinner plate, letting half the towel flop over the edge of the plate, onto the counter top. After THOROUGHLY draining the beans (let them sit in a colander for 10 or 15 minutes), spread them out on the half of the dish towel that is on the plate. Fold the other edge of the towel over top of the beans and leave them covered for another few minutes to soak up the remaining moisture. Next, gently rub the beans with the portion of the towel that is on top, rolling them around. This takes the skin off about half the beans. Also (and I know this sounds crazy), but it seems that older beans shed their skins more easily. I’ve made these twice now, and the first time, used a can that was still good, but was several months old. They came off super easy. The second time, I used a much newer can (same brand), and they were a little more stubborn. Either way, though, skins from thoroughly dry beans are much easier to remove. Hope that helps!

31. Jessi

August 14, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I made these with 1 Tbs oil, 1/4 tsp coarse salt, and 1 tsp chili powder. yum. not really baby friendly, but hubby and I ate them up!

32. Rebeca @ The Average Parent

August 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

these are so great and I’m really excited to find such a yummy alternative to roasted nuts. My son has a severe peanut allergy, so this is great! Will definitely double or maybe triple the recipe next time.

33. jamie

August 13, 2011 at 2:51 am

i followed the recipe exactly and i had no problems. this recipe is very good! the beans do shrink so i will be doubling the recipe next time.

34. Julia

August 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

We have been making a savory version of this for years. I have never removed the skins and mine turn out perfectly every time. I just dry, add my desired seasonings and put in a thin layer on the pan. I never use the same seasoning combination twice. We have used garlic powder, onion powder, curry, coriander, chili powder, salt, red pepper and cumin. I make sure to shake the pan about every 10 minutes and I watch them very carefully in the last half of baking, because they can burn. Some of my kids, like them super crunchy, but some don’t, so I usually remove some a few minutes early to get the crunchy outside with the smooth texture inside. We often have these for dinner with small roasted potatoes and sauteed kale. I can not wait to try this sweet version for school lunches!

35. Liz

August 2, 2011 at 8:53 am

So, can I ask what happens if I don’t take off the skin. I’m about to make 4 cans worth and ugh! I’m dreading the de-skinning!

36. claudia

July 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I use my hands while they rinse in a colander and roll them between my palms and against the colander itself. About half the skins come off this way on their own. YAY! The rest I pinch between my thumb and 1st 2 fingers and they pop right out. Still a little tedious, but I don’t have to skin all of them!

37. Leann

July 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I made 2 seperate batches of these today. The first one was horrible! The chickpeas were popping and when I opened the oven the heating element had some attached that were on fire. They came out tasty but it is going to be a pain to clean out.

The 2nd batch i reduced the oil to 1/2 tblsp and it still happened. Not as bad but half way through I noticed my oven was smoking. :(

38. Sarah

July 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

So I made them I thought perfectly after reading the whole thing including all you awesome reviewers and I roasted them for 27 min at 400. Then I coated them and roasted for 5 more minutes due to my 4yr olds impatience. She loved them even though they were not crunchy at all. The shelling took 3 people and I think it needs more honey. I am so glad I didn’t cook the chickpeyes and used canned. That is crazy effort for a snack that gets eaten so fast!! I will be cooking them longer next time and making a double batch like some recommended! Great recipe though! Very filling and nutritious which is what I’m all about!!!

39. Caryn

June 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

Tried it out and they were great. I am cooking my second batch in three days. This time I will stir them a little and maybe cook them less so my little one can eat them. The last batch disappeared before nap time was over for my toddler so she didn’t get to try them yet.

40. Mandy

June 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Total bummer – followed to a tee… not edible. Buuuurnt! So many having issues – was it really kitchen tested?

• Rebeca @ The Average Parent

August 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

keep in mind that everybody’s ovens run differently….especially if you consider electric and gas. I cooked mine exactly like the directions said and they turned out perfectly. If you’re having problems, try reducing the cooking time and/or check them half way through.

41. Tiffany

June 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Oops, I guess I need to learn to read better!

I completely missed the part about adding the honey at the end, I just mixed it all together and stuck them in the oven. I guess I’ll just keep my eye on them…hopefully they will be ok!

42. Maggie

June 9, 2011 at 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I ran into some of the same issues. I’ll have to keep a better eye out. My 18 month old loves them! I can’t wait to try them savory!

43. Brandan WH

June 8, 2011 at 7:48 am

These burned so bad that I had to toss out 98% of them. Will decrease the cook time before/after adding the honey. The couple that I was able to eat sure tasted good. My daughter even seemed to like them. Taking some of the advice that I’m reading, I’m hoping that the next go ’round is better! Will also double the amount as “de-shelling” these is not my idea of fun!

44. Heather

June 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

These are soo good! My three year old loves chick peas and she skinned and ate all of the skins for me! Think ill watch them a little closer next time they did get a little too crunchy! And maybe a little more honey!

45. Karen

June 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

has anyone tried tossing it with plain ole sugar instead of honey for 2nd roasting? just curious if it still maintains the same crunchiness? thanks!

46. Jenna

June 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm

ok, tried these twice.
    1st batch they were too soft.
    2nd batch, perfect!

I realized that I didn’t de-shell them enough the first time. You really have to take the shell off every single bean!

47. Julie

May 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Love the idea for the savory version! I will have to try those next. I’m doing South Beach so these are great for me and for the kiddos.

Has anyone tried this recipe without “skinning” the chickpeas? We eat them so fast I can hardly keep up with skinning the beans.

48. Jennifer

May 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Another outstanding recipe! I did cook it at 350 but found the cooktimes accurate, you just have to watch them to ensure they don’t burn. Also they get crunchier as they cool, so I was glad to see that. It is time-consuming to peel & watch them bake, so like others have said I will double or even triple the recipe next time. But I’m pretty sure I won’t have to worry about storing them, lol!

49. Beki

May 25, 2011 at 10:41 am

My 22 month old is devouring these right now. I did the initial roast for 30 minutes and they are a little too soft though, so I’ll go the full 40 next time. I also subbed coconut oil for the regular cooking oil. Has anyone tried to do a savory version? I’m thinking of doing some with the same flavors as homemade chex mix (garlic powder and a litte worcestershire sauce).

• Keren Jackson

July 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I’ve made this with taco seasoning and used the crunchy beans as a filling for tacos instead of using meat. Delish!

• Jenny

June 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

I have found a recipe for indian spiced roasted chickpeas on Allrecipes.com that is so wonderful. My 6 year old loves them.

• Beki

May 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I made a batch with garlic and onion powder, and tossed with worcestershire sauce before the last 10 minutes of cooking and they came out great! My daughter is putting these away just as quickly, so now we’ll have a nice protein-rich snack that easy to grab and go when she wants something salty or sweet! I’m making quadruple batches of both (all that bean skinning was not fun, but it gave me a chance to catch up on some TV).

50. Lizzy

May 25, 2011 at 9:25 am

My daugher, age 4, helped make these. She had so much fun doing this. Her and her dad ate them all in one afternoon. We will be making these again soon.

51. Amy

May 23, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I found the opposite issue – mine were too moist. I think I will cook them for longer at a low heat. Did anyone else have this problem? Are they supposed to be crunchy or tender? Regardless, I’m addicted!

52. Mimosa whiting

May 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Baked for thirty min. As suggested. Perfect!!! however I am very surprised at how little I yielded because I purposefully doubled the recipe and still only ended up with two cups. Those beans shrink up up considerably and They are going fast!!

53. Lori

May 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I had the same burning problem. Going to try them again today with the 30 minute initial roast.

54. Jen

May 18, 2011 at 5:31 pm

So bummed, mine completely burnt and I followed the recipe verbatim. Should have read the posts beforehand about a shorter baking time! 30 min would have been better.

• Jen

May 19, 2011 at 10:27 pm

So I tried these again because I am determined to get my 5 year old to eat legumes…30 min roast, tossing every 10 min…additional 3 min roast after adding honey, they came out perfect. Definiworth the batch in one afternoon!

• Steph

July 8, 2011 at 1:16 am

Thanks for that tip! I burned mine tonight when I followed the directions to a tee. I don’t have an oven thermometer so I am thinking my oven cooks a bit hot. I’ll try your way AND put an oven thermometer on my shopping list ;o)

• Kolya

February 5, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Looks great! I’m going to a dinner party where there will be 2 vgneas, 1 person eating gluten free and another who is lactose-intolerant. I’ve been asked to bring a first course, and this is it! My only question is how many people will this serve? I’ve guessing about a 1 cup portion size. Eyeing up the recipe, I am estimating about 6 servings when all’s done? Thanks for the recipe!

55. Meagan

May 18, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I’ve made these two days in a row now and my 17 month old LOVES them!!! I cooked a little shorter because I didn’t want them to be hard but everything else was the same and he gobbled them up like they were the best thing in the world!!!! Thanks for great recipes that help us be awesome moms in the kitche !!!

56. arzu

May 18, 2011 at 11:22 am

my house smells fantastic but what am i doing wrong? i have chick peas exploding in the oven!!

• Nellie

June 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I have been roasting chick peas for a snack since the poor days of college and using cooking spray to coat the beans (after they’ve been thoroughly dried). Once, I followed a recipe using oil and they exploded all over the place. When I reverted back to the spray, no explosions! I’ll be making these for a road trip! Great flavor combination, THANKS!

• Heather

June 3, 2011 at 11:51 am

were they still wet?

May 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Oh my! I have no idea! Did you use canned chick peas?

57. Ana

May 17, 2011 at 8:59 am

I too was disappointed :o( The crunchiness and the vegetable oil aftertaste didn’t work for us, unfortunately. Perhaps substituting the oil with a bit of melted organic vegetable spread will help with the taste. As for softer texture, maybe loosely covering the sheet with foil while baking?

58. Nicole

May 17, 2011 at 8:55 am

Hi!

I really liked this sweet version (in Trinidad there is a spicy version). Taking the skin off was a great idea and worth the extra work for me. I wanted to ask if by any chance you had the nutritional value for my friend on a diet who wanted to use these as a snack. Thanks! :)

59. Sam

May 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Can I try this with different kind of beans?

May 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Unfortunately, I have not tested it with any other beans, if you would like, you can try it out and let me know :)

60. Lisa

May 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm

These were very disappointing. I was really excited about these as I have a hummus-addicted 15 month old so I thought she’d enjoy chickpeas in a more natural state. They were far too crunchy and after I put the honey they became a big block of taffy-like hard odd flavored beans. Will keep plugging away though and finding other recipes here to try.

61. Tina

May 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm

After reading all of the above comments I was worried about burning, but I followed the directions to a ‘t’ and they turned out perfectly. Left the skins on and I think they’re fine. I did sprinkle a little sugar on them as they were cooling. Just a tiny bit because I thought they could be a little sweeter. A great snack!! Thanks for the healthy recipe!

62. shirly

May 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm

What is the purpose of taking off the skins?

• Moi

February 4, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Kudos to you you’ve successfully gtteon me to comment on a blog for the very first time.This was one of the tastiest dishes I’ve had in a long time. My kids weren’t huge fans of the chickpeas so when I make this next (and I will be making it again) I’ll be subbing them out but for what I’m not sure yet Keep on posting. I look forward to stumbling on another gem from you.Heather

63. Donna

May 14, 2011 at 5:35 am

These were great my 2 year old loved the and my stepson did also. Of couse l couldn’t get the picky hubby to try them, but that is ok its a healthy snack that taste great…that is all that matters to me. =)

64. Jill

May 13, 2011 at 1:06 am

I luv how clever you are – rub two ingredients together and create originality.

65. Melanie

May 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I made these today and also burnt them :(. They don’t have a burnt taste but VERY crunchy. Too crunchy for my 2 year old to eat whole so I split a few and he really liked them. I will eat the crunchy ones and make a new batch tomorrow for him.

I’ve never worked with chickpeas and found pealing them strangely relaxing haha. I think I found a new staple in our pantry! My tot even loves them raw which shocked me because he is pretty picky!

66. Sarah

May 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Mine burned to a crisp :(

• Daysia

February 5, 2014 at 3:19 am

Pleasing you should think of soetnhimg like that

67. Trav

May 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I will be trying these this weekend! Chickpeas rock in general and this looks just delicious. :D

68. Sarah

May 12, 2011 at 11:36 am

I finally got around to making these last night. Two cans washed, drained and patted dry and dumped onto a cookie sheet (single layer). Left the skins on. I was pretty diligent with watching these bc of all the burnt comments. I did @350 for 20min, @400 for 15min then kept it in for another 12min while checking every 4. (yes, overkill maybe!)

I wanted to make sure they were pretty dry when done(and I roasted them as is – plain).

I then mixed half with a little bit of chili seasoning and powdered ranch dip seasoning and the other half with the cinimon/honey.

Put back in the oven for another 7 min.

I find then, and today, that the dry rub ones (ranch/chili) stay much drier the way I like them and the other honey one is less cruncy – but still good.

I think the tip is to bake like crazy to dry them out (but watch for burning) then toss in a seasoning after. Yum! will definately make again.

69. deb

May 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Mmmm made these yesterday and today! Yesterday I did one batch with skins off, today I doubled it with skins on. Make sure you don’t add the honey until the end or you will burn them! Also if they are too sticky you might have added too much honey. I did both batches at 400 degrees for 40 mins plus 7 additional minutes with honey and they both came out perfect.

70. rebekah.

May 11, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Okay so I just tried to make these during my daughters nap and I had to take them out 10 min before the allotted time because they were burning.. Did anyone else have this problem? Should I bake it on 350 instead of 400? I was dying to try these but they are hard, crunchy and burnt.. :(

71. Crysta

May 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

These were fantastic! saw your post and started pealing skins. I had them ready for 2 very hungry boys after school and the loved them! Thanks for the recipe. My husband thought it was a nut =)

72. Pingback: healthy » Blog Archive » Healthy junkfood: roasted cinnamon honey chickpeas | BabyCenter

73. kelley

May 11, 2011 at 2:24 am

I’m liking the snack recipes I find on here. I’m sharing this website with as many people as I can. I do not serve prepackaged snacks to my children unless they are all natural, but even then, you cannot control salt, sugar, or whatever else is being snuck in. I was thinking of making a “mommy and daddy” batch of these with adding a little chili powder to the honey mix, and a spinkling of sea salt after they are cooled. The possibilites I would think would be similar to if not the same as flavored nut recipes. Thanks for posting!

74. Pingback: Roasted Honey and Cinnimon Chickpeas *Day 2* « Simply Mariann

75. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

May 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I always leave the skins on when I roast chickpeas. I’m curious as to what the advantage would be to taking them off?

• Tao

March 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

You lose fiber by taking off the skins, which some people with digestive problems might appreciate. I’ll leave the skins on when I try this recipe.

76. lorrie

May 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I saw this recipe and knew I had to make them today! The whole family loved them. I am happy to know that I can leave the skins on, especially since we will be making these often. Delicious!

77. Michal

May 10, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I just made these and they are delicious! I will definitely be making these again…although next time I will try leaving the skin on. :)

78. Missy

May 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I made these tonight and followed the recipe exactly. Mine ended up delicious, but very sticky (almost gooey) on the outside. I’m guessing I should have cooked them a little longer?

79. Kristina

May 10, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Boooooooooo, these look so good and burnt mine at 40 min too!!! I’m going to try 30 min next time. Bummer.

80. Tina

May 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I only roasted mine for 30 minutes before adding the honey and roasting for an addition 7 minutes. They were plenty crunchy. I’m afraid they would’ve burned if I’d left them in longer.

I have to say that my 5yo *hates* all beans. She says they taste too “powdery” inside. Since we’re vegetarians, I’m always trying to figure out ways to get good protein in her. She helped me make these and has been chowing down. I’m very happy. :)

Thanks, Catherine!

• Tao

March 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I used to hate beans as a kid, too, because of their mealy texture. I found them dry and hard to swallow. I think they would have been more palatable to me back then blended with a little oil, nut butter, cottage cheese, or avocado. I grew out of that dislike, BTW. I love beans now.

81. Makai

May 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Wow, can’t wait to make these. I love garbanzos!

82. Mya

May 10, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I made these and they were great! My 2 year old loved them, but taking off the skins took sooo long! I may try them again with skins…and I roasted them for 40 min at 400 and they didn’t burn at all, you may want to check your ovens for accuracy if they burned, or use a light colored pan.

83. Nina

May 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Why do you have to take the skins off? I roast chickpeas all the time with the skins on. Is there something “bad” in the skins or do they just not work so well with the sticky honey?

May 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Nothing bad in the skins at all. I prefer to take the skins off and toss with cinnamon and oil then roast but you can always leave them on :)

84. Sarah

May 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Has anyone tried ‘dry roasting’ without the oil and seasoning after. Read this quote:”These are my favourite snack! However I also found they went soft after some time and so I asked an Indian friend of mine who was the first to introduce these to me, she said they are absolutely the best when dry roasted – and seasoned after cooking. So I tried them without the oil, and seasoned them when they were cooked and they were the best Ive had them. Apparently the oil keeps them moist longer and the salt holds the moisture inside them pea. “

• Lori

May 10, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I just tried these using the dry roasting method you mentioned b/c I was curious… I dry roasted them for 20-22 minutes using the convect setting on my oven. Then I tossed them in the honey and cinnamon, and placed them back in the oven for 3 minutes. They were really good; about 1/2 of them were crunchy, and the other half were still a little soft. I wasn’t exactly sure of the cook time since I used convection, so next time I’ll cook them a little longer, but otherwise it was a success. I have 4 kids (ages 1,3,4, and 8), and they devoured them in 5 minutes! This is an awesome recipe!!!

• Angel

February 5, 2014 at 1:47 am

i just made them and, honestly, i didn’t like them at all. i had high exniatcteops after reading the reviews but, even as someone who has been a vegan for almost six months (and a vegetarian for a year and a half before that) and as someone who greatly enjoys tofu, i really did not like it.the filling was okay but a bit too heavy with vineagr and the tofu shell just overpowered the dish with the taste (or lack thereof, i guess) of tofu.perhaps marinating the tofu in something that isn’t vinegar (and trimming the edges after scooping the innards) and adding nayonnaise and more garbonzos to the filling would help a bit.not a bad recipe base, but it’s definetely missing something.

• Sarah

May 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

Awesome! Sounds like you really can’t go wrong with this roasting chickpeas…except you have to make sure you roast them long enough to dry out (get cruncy), but not burn.

I was looking into it and a lot say to roast at 350 for 20 min or so then up it to 400 for 20 min or so.

85. Carlene

May 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I was so excited to make these…… but mine burnt too! I think there must be a error in this recipe….. 400 degrees and for 40mins will result in burnt beans…. not good for anyone :(

86. Amy

May 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I am going to make these and substitute coconut oil. Can’t wait!!!!!

87. Sherry

May 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Yummy…
    Do you put the chickpeas in oil then in the cinnamon or mix them both in a bowl with chickpeas?

May 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I mix the oil and cinnamon then add the chickpeas and stir

88. yeni

May 10, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Will have to try this one. I always have extra cans of chickpeas in the pantry. I love your Moroccan chicken recipe, which also uses them.

89. Marie

May 10, 2011 at 11:56 am

I just made this recipe. I shook my cookie sheet ever 10 minutes, and somehow, in the last 10 minutes, my chickpeas burned! :( I guess I’ll have to try again.

90. Barbara

May 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

Sounds yummy and a great, fun activity with the kids. Ever since my son and I watched your Kale chips video – we’ve been hooked! Thank you for providing healthy snacks to make and enjoy with the kids.

91. Kimberly

May 10, 2011 at 11:30 am

Making these this morning. My house smells heavenly. What should the texture be when they are done? I am wondering if mine are overcooked.

• Kimberly

May 10, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oh, I see in the directions now-super crunchy. Last night when I read the post it was not there. :) So, I am guessing these will be perfect for my 3yo, but not my 14mo.

92. Missy

May 10, 2011 at 10:52 am

Sorry…make that three questions…
    3. Could you substitute maple syrup for the honey? There are just sometimes I want maple flavor!

May 10, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Yes you can :)

93. Missy

May 10, 2011 at 10:47 am

Two questions:
    1. Do you need to cook these on a greased baking sheet?
    2. Do you cool on the baking sheet or transfer to something else? I ask this one because it seems to be that the sheet would be rather sticky with the addition of the honey and that you’d have to pry the cooled beans off.

Thank you for clarifying!

May 10, 2011 at 5:08 pm

1. No, just like the baking sheet with foil or nothing and bake them.
      2. I cool them on the baking sheet :)

94. Leslie

May 10, 2011 at 10:15 am

Just made these! Yes you have to remove WAC chickpea skin but it was easy… Rinse them and gently rub between the two paper towels to rough off the skin a little… It is time consuming seems easy enough that a kiddo could help… I was able to do 2 at a time and snap my fingers and off popped the skin. Because of the effort I’d double the recipe because it doesn’t tiled a whole lot. I put the chickpeas in a tupperware to toss ingredients and then put then on the cookie sheet. Using the same Tupperware I put the honey in and then added the roasted peas to it and scooped all out w a spatula after tossing again… They’re cooling now and I’m dying to have some!!

95. Tammy

May 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

Just made these. Yum! My daughter loved helping remove the skins from the chickpeas. A great way to get her involved in making this snack. Thank you!

96. catherine

May 10, 2011 at 10:00 am

I’m going to add a few things to the recipe to clarify, but these are totally addictive!!

97. ally

May 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

i too am interested on if dried beans could work. i don’t use canned food due to BPA concerns and always try and sub fresh ingreds for canned. this recipe sounds interesting to try out!

• Michelle

August 6, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Eden Foods Organics do have BPA free lining in their cans :)

98. kristi

May 10, 2011 at 8:43 am

I’m going to make this today!

99. Sarah Abberton

May 10, 2011 at 8:19 am

I Have recently come to appreciate chickpeas and can’t wait to try these.

100. shirley

May 10, 2011 at 8:08 am

Hi
    Can I use those dried chickpeas found in organic stores and boiled them in water?? before following the rest of the recipe?

101. Jodi

May 10, 2011 at 8:02 am

Can I use dried chickpeas and just cook them in the crockpot, then follow recipe accordingly?

102. Kirsten

May 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

i know this probobly sounds like a silly question but what is the easiest way to toss them in the honey? do you drizzle the honey on them and mix them gently? i was thinking of putting then in a ziploc with the honey but thought the honey would stick to the bag and not the beans.

103. Jennifer

May 10, 2011 at 7:38 am

Removing the outerskins of EACH chickpea?! WOW— that’s dedication!

104. carly

May 10, 2011 at 7:06 am

At what point do you normally take these out of the oven? I tried to make roasted chickpeas one day and definitely overcooked them – they were hard as rocks once they cooled. When you take them out are they still kinda soft at all?

105. Anne-marie

May 10, 2011 at 6:51 am

Could you clarify a bit on how to remove the outer skin of the beans? Do you have to peel the skin off each individual bean?

• carly

May 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm

One trick that I use when making hummus is to heat the beans up in some water in a saucepot first. You don’t have to boil them or “cook” them long, just a bit. Warm beans seem to release their skin easier than cold ones.

106. Gina

May 10, 2011 at 5:08 am

I am so excited to try these. How do you store leftovers and about how long will they stay fresh if stored properly?