Bell Pepper Egg Flowers

Bell Pepper Egg Flowers

Yum

Cereal, pancakes, oatmeal and omelets.…breakfast can feel like one big "same old, same old" after a while. If you're sick of making your normal breakfast rotation I bet your family feels the same way about eating it. Whenever I whip up these Bell Pepper Egg Flowers in the morning to my kids it's like I bought a brand new car. It's such a welcome novelty that my little guys go nuts with excitement! They both adore bell peppers and by adding a perfectly cooked egg and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top, this breakfast treat is an easy way to get protein and even a bit of veggies into my family's bodies first thing in the morning.

Remember that FTD Mother's Day slogan, "say it with flowers"? Well, after watching your kids make all gone with this recipe I think you'll agree that roses and tulips aren't the only flowers that can make a mom happy!

This recipe is part of Food Network's Summer Fest! Check out all the other pepper recipes below!

Jeanette's Healthy Living: How to Use Bell Peppers Six Ways
Feed Me Phoebe: Spanish-Style Shrimp and Squid Skewers with Red Pepper Sofrito
The Heritage Cook: Poblano Pepper, Corn and Potato "Chowder" Salad
Dishing: Bell Peppers Chutney/ Capsicum Chutney
The Lemon Bowl: Red Pepper Salsa
Weelicious: Bell Pepper Egg Flowers
Dishin & Dishes: Chicken, Poblano, Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas
Domesticate Me: Brown Rice Jambalaya with Shrimp, Chicken Sausage and Bell Peppers
Taste With The Eyes: Cheeseburger Bloody Mary with Cherry Peppers and Pickles
Blue Apron Blog: Roadside Noodles with Bell Peppers, Tomatoes and Broccoli Raab
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Italian Pork Chops with Peppers and Chiles on Buttered Egg Noodles
Red or Green: Green Chile Pork Stew
Devour: Stuffed Peppers 5 Ways
Chez Us: Grilled Eggplant and Carmen Pepper Pizza
Daily*Dishin: Marinated Peppers and Shrimp New Orleans Style
FN Dish: Sensational Stuffed Peppers

Bell Pepper Egg Flowers  (Serves 4)

• 1 large bell pepper
  • 4 medium eggs
  • 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese or any other cheese
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil

1. 1. Take 1 large bell pepper, slice into four 1/2″-thick rounds (or “flowers”) and remove the inner membranes (or white part).
  2. 2. Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the flowers for 2 minutes on one side.
  3. 3. Flip the flowers over and crack an egg into the middle of each flower.
  4. 4. Cover skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes for runny eggs or for 5 minutes for firm eggs.
  5. 5. Sprinkle each flower with Parmesan a few seconds before you are ready to remove it from the pan.

Accompaniments: Toast

Bell Pepper Egg Flowers

Comments

1. Pingback: Avocado, Black Bean and Red Pepper Salsa Recipe - The Lemon Bowl

2. Pingback: Day 2 of 45 Day Paleo Challenge | clearly unbalanced

3. Pingback: 18 Quick, Easy & Interesting Breakfasts | Care2 Healthy Living

4. Pingback: Chicken, Poblano, Spinach & Mushroom Quesadillas | Dishin & Dishes

5. Pingback: RunsWithPlants » Flower Eggs!

6. Pingback: Italian Pork Chops with Peppers & Chiles on Buttered Egg Noodles | napa farmhouse 1885

7. napafarmhouse1885/diane

August 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm

what a terrific idea! perfect to substitute the peppers for the more typical bread. healthy, delicious and gluten free. perfect!

8. Pingback: Sensational Stuffed Peppers | Cooking Bookmarks

9. Pingback: Grilled Eggplant and Carmen Pepper Pizza - Chez Us

10. Pingback: Roadside Noodles with Bell Pepper, Tomato & Broccoli Rabe | Blue Apron Blog

11. Pingback: Tastetrotting: Spanish-Style Shrimp and Squid Skewers with Red Pepper Sofrito | Feed Me Phoebe

12. Pingback: How To Use Bell Peppers Six Ways + 16 Bell Pepper Recipes - Jeanette's Healthy Living

13. Pingback: A Cheeseburger Bloody Mary? Yep, That’s Right! • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

14. Pingback: Atkins Recipes - Main Dish Bell Pepper Egg Flowers

15. Penelope

January 3, 2013 at 7:25 pm

My daughter lately has been picky eating and she devoured this ones

• Anna

February 5, 2014 at 4:07 am

I do accept as true with all of the ideas you have ofrfeed for your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for starters. May you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

16. Pingback: Egg-citing Recipe! « OMGmother's official blog

17. Damu

August 31, 2012 at 3:20 am

wow! that’s smart. i am going to try this weekend.

18. Pingback: summer flowers

19. kate

February 21, 2012 at 11:53 am

adorable! my daughter will love these (and i will too – such a great idea for a type 1 diabetic breakfast). we are always looking for new bkfst ideas – thank you!!

20. ellen @ Kid Kritics

December 3, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Revealing your creative juices, again! Wish I had thought of this idea. Well done. Will pass this egg flowers breakfast along giving you the credit. Can’t wait to put this recipe before the Kid Kritics… for the health of families.

21. Shannon

December 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

Great idea!! My daughter loves peppers. She likes her eggs scrambled. Could I pour scrambled eggs into the pepper flowers?

• Emily

December 2, 2011 at 8:53 am

Yes! Scrambling the egg worked perfectly for me! Just pour it right in. :)

• Christine

April 2, 2012 at 11:21 am

Me too! I looked at this and thought, my kid likes bell peppers, and he likes scrambled eggs. No way would he eat a fried egg. Totally doing this with scrambled egg for him.

• Suzanne C.

December 3, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I was going to ask if it would work scrambled, my kids aren’t as crazy about eggs over-easy but they will eat scrambled eggs. It opens up all kinds of possibilities for mix-ins too – ham dices, other veggies…yum!

22. Sokha Mccarthy

November 30, 2011 at 10:11 pm

This is too cute! I may just make some for myself.

23. Miranda

November 30, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Hmmm, my son doesn’t like bell peppers but I wonder if this would work if I cooked them in a cookie cutter. I’d have to oil the cutter first of course. Hmmm…

November 30, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Yes! It will work in a cookie cutter if you grease it well and be super careful (use tongs) when you slide it off the egg.

24. Laurie

November 30, 2011 at 1:47 pm

What a clever idea! Thank you for sharing.

25. Suzanne C.

November 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

I love this! My kids like the eggs in a nest and they LOVE their green peppers! What a fun way to change up breakfast!

26. Monette

November 30, 2011 at 10:07 am

Girl, you are amazing! Thanks!

27. Kiki D

November 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

what an awesome idea! you rock!

28. Katie @ Healthnut Foodie

November 30, 2011 at 9:24 am

What a cute idea!!! This is such a great gluten-free alternative to eggs in a hole (toast). Bravo! I love to start my girls with eggs on the days they go to preschool. Snacks are almost always carb heavy, so I feel good starting them off with good protien!

29. Heather

November 30, 2011 at 8:48 am

Yum! You are so clever:) love your site.

30. Heather Taylor @ Kids in the Sink

November 30, 2011 at 8:26 am

Yum! I LOVE red peppers in omelets so I bet this would be delicious. And it seems like it could be quick enough for a busy morning, a big plus!