Cheesy Popovers

A few years ago one of my dearest friends gave me a popover pan. Unlike a muffin pan, popover pans are deeper and made specifically for making warm fluffy popovers. When I finally used it a few weeks ago to make Cheesy Popovers for the first time I called to tell my friend how delicious they turned out. She took a few moments to guilt me (the way that only a good friend can for taking years to use a gift she gave you) and then wanted to know all about my popovers. I told her that they were so good, I couldn't believe I hadn't been making them for years (she thankfully refrained from any further snarky comments).

Popovers are super easy to make and when I say they are "kid friendly", I really mean it. My little guys have become obsessed by them. They love watching them puff up in the oven and then breaking them open when they are done to see the steam pour out of the big airy puffs.

With all that holiday cooking right around the corner, this is the kind of recipe that you can easily hand over to a relative while you are busy preparing the rest of the meal. Right before you are ready to sit down to dinner or brunch (or even breakfast) pull these extra special puffs out of the oven and I guarantee these will garner rave reviews from all. In my opinion, a popover pan is a great investment....just don't wait years to use it.

Cheesy Popovers  (Makes 9 Popovers)

• 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1. 1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
  2. 2. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. 3. Grease each popover tin with butter and fill ¾ up with batter.
  4. 4. Bake for 35 minutes and do not open the oven door while cooking.
  5. 5. Serve immediately.
Cheesy Popovers

Comments

1. Chloe

December 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I made these for our family Christmas dinner and also had a problem with the inside being raw- used a popover pan…

2. Stephanie

February 24, 2012 at 10:13 am

I was so excited to try these but I don’t know what I did wrong. The outside was wonderful and brown and crispy but the inside was still somewhat raw. I put them back in the over but the outside got browner and the inside wouldn’t cook. I’ll have to try again!

February 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Oh what a bummer!! Did you use a popover pan or a muffin pan? I find the popover pan really does make a difference! Also, make sure your oven is fully heated before placing these in!

3. Jenny

January 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I just made these tonight but the insides are not fluffy at all…any suggestions?

4. Anne

December 28, 2011 at 6:46 am

i love popovers but have never had much success getting them to rise. any suggestion for high altitude cooking?

5. Chris L

December 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Um, YUM! That’s all I have to say. Ok, no it’s not. :) I bought my MIL a popover pan for Christmas and showed her how to make these. They were the hit of Christmas dinner. Thanks, Catherine!

6. Anne

December 20, 2011 at 8:46 am

Is the 2 Tbsp of melted butter part of the recipe or is it used to butter the pans? These sound amazing. Can’t wait to make them for Christmas breakfast.

December 20, 2011 at 7:39 pm

The butter is part of the recipe. You will need extra for greasing the pans. Enjoy!

7. Juli

December 20, 2011 at 12:16 am

How funny – another Juli with dairy allergies!! I make popovers all the time with soy milk and margarine. They are yummy – esp smothered with sausage/soy milk gravy! I find it works best to add about 1/2 a tsp of water to the bottom of each muffin hole to create more steam since butter contains more water than margarine does. :)

8. Lisa P

December 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

This is very similar to Brazilian Pao de Quiejo (cheese bread), which could be a good gluten free option because it uses tapioca flour instead of regular flour. It does also have a lot more oil and cheese, though. We use a mini muffin tin. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

December 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’ve had the cheese breads. They’re amazing. My babysitter is from Brazil and makes them sometimes. Very similar, but these are a bit airier!

9. Laurie

December 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I have never been very successful with popovers, even with a popover pan, but am going to give these a try tonight. They sound great!

• Laurie

December 19, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I made these tonight and they turned out amazing! I substituted Extra Sharp Cheddar for the Parmesan since that’s what I had. The only thing I did different that seemed to be the trick for me was to let the batter come to room temp, although only because I had to leave to pick up my son. Not sure if that was the trick but this recipe is a keeper. Thanks Catherine for another great recipe!!

10. Juli

December 19, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Would these taste good without the cheese? Or any ideas for a substitution? (dairy allergies). Thanks!

• Sionnan

March 26, 2013 at 8:42 pm

the harder the cheese the less the dairy protein so parmesan has no lactose or casein. also romano any cheese that is hard. the softer cheeses like mozzarella have lots of protein. you should be ok with parmesan.

December 19, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Yes, you can make these leaving out the parmesan, but it adds tons of flavor! You could try going to your local health food store and asking them they’re favorite non dairy parmesan for baking if you want to use some sort of cheese.
      Here’s another substitute that would give them a boost of flavor!

2 C Sesame seeds
      1/2 C Nutritional yeast flakes
      1 tsp Onion powder
      1 tsp Garlic powder
      1 tsp Salt

• fathima

January 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Good day Mrs catherine. can i use cream cheese instead of parmesan cheeese

January 28, 2013 at 1:04 am

In this recipe that wouldn’t be the best substitute. You could use nutritional yeast flakes which tastes exactly like parmesan cheese!

11. Lara

December 19, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Can you use a regular or mini muffin pan and just not fill them very full?

December 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hi Laura,

You can use a regular or mini muffin pan, but they may take a bit longer to bake and could come out more dense and not quite as airy and fluffy. The reason popover pans are designed the way they are is to ensure proper and complete heat circulation while these treats are in the oven. Experimenting is part of the fun though, isn’t it? Happy baking!

12. Farah

December 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm

But could you still try to make them in a regular muffin pan, and just use less batter?

• Whitney

December 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm

According to Ina Garten’s cookbook, the secret to popovers isn’t a special pan, but rather sticking the pan in the oven while it preheats. That way the popovers get hot very quickly. I use a non-stick muffin pan and pour the batter right into the hot pan and then back into the oven.

• Mya

December 19, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I use a reg. muffin pan all the time!

13. Sarah

December 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm

My little guy just had his first Yorkshire Pudding (very similar to a popover, but made in a shallow, muffin-type pan) with our Sunday dinner yesterday while we’re in England visiting family. It was the first thing to disappear from his plate. I can’t wait to try this recipe when we get back!