Dried Cherry Scones- Valentine's Breakfast

Nestled deep in our local park -- which is more like a local forest -- is a charming little food shack which sells some of the most enticing baked goods you've ever tried. It's usually packed with an assortment of families, hikers and locals looking to relax and enjoy a light bite before hitting the trails or the playground. We've been going to this place since Kenya was a baby and he and his sister light up anytime they know we're headed there.

The word "shack" may conjure up the wrong image of this place, but I can't think of a better name for it. Regardless, it's totally charming and with pretty much anything I eat there I wonder, "what do they put in this to make it taste so good?" My kids particularly love their scones. Whenever they see these fresh, gorgeous, crumbly pastries stacked up neatly in the window, they get so excited that words seem to fail them.

With Valentine's Day fast approaching, I thought it would be fun to make heart-shaped, dried cherry scones with the kids. This is a great recipe to cook with your little ones. Mine love mixing the ingredients together with their little hands, shaping the dough into a big circle and then using a cookie cutter to press out hearts.

While Kenya and Chloe still love going for scones at our special shack in the woods, they majorly approved of our homemade version. I guarantee there will be a lot of love in the air at your house too when these come out of the oven!

Dried Cherry Scones  (Makes 13 3-inch Heart Scones)

• 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 1 egg, beaten, or 1 tablespoon heavy cream*(see step 7)

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. 2. Whisk the first four ingredients together in a large bowl.
  3. 3. Add the butter to the flour mixture and mix with either your fingertips, a pastry blender, or two knives until it forms the texture of coarse meal.
  4. 4. Add the milk and cherries and mix gently until just incorporated (the dough may look a bit dry, but allow it sit for a few minutes and the flour will soak up all the milk).
  5. 5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently press into a 1″ thick circle.
  6. 6. Cut out scones using a heart shaped cookie cutter.
  7. 7. Place scones on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush with beaten egg or heavy cream, if desired (this will give the scones a golden crust)*.
  8. 8. Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
  9. 9. Move immediately to a wire cooling rack and serve.
Dried Cherry Scones

Comments

1. Carrie

February 21, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Catherine, I love this recipe. I was at a local cafe today & had afternoon tea with my son. They served a scone with crystallized ginger. He devoured that thing! So, for my luncheon with friends tomorrow I’m making this with ginger instead of the cherries. Hope it goes over well!

2. Amanda-Beth Crowther

December 5, 2013 at 5:46 am

Do you think this could work with out the cherries being dried

• Catherine McCord

December 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Fresh cherries would probably work if you cut them into small pieces and as long as they aren’t too juicy!

3. Anna

June 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

Would fresh cherries work with this recipe?

4. Julie

February 6, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Any chance you have tried using agave syrup instead of the 1/2 c. sugar? I have a lot of the former on hand.

5. Carissa

August 6, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I adore this recipe, and have made these scones many times. I use cranberries if I am out of dried cherries, and usually substitute part of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour. I tend to store them in the freezer and grab one on the run. Thanks, Catherine!

6. Loretta

March 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

I have made these twice and need to lower my baking temp next time. They are turning brown on the bottoms at about 15 minutes baking time. Delicious but not sure what’s up–I have even moved the rack to the very top of the oven and still they are turning too brown.

• Catherine

January 8, 2013 at 10:55 am

I made these several times too and the tops brown too much. Next time I will either turn temp down, bake it for less time or cover it during the baking time. Yummy none the less.

March 12, 2012 at 11:22 am

That could be caused by your baking sheet or your oven may run hot.

7. Ashley

February 16, 2012 at 12:53 am

We made these for valentines morning, and they were so good! I had to substitute dried apricots and craisins since
    that’s what I had, but they were such a hit! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

8. angie

February 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Can’t wait to try these out tomorrow!! But wow…. just picked up the cherries… $8.99 for a container! eek!

9. Pingback: Meal Plan for February 13-19 « the.new.us.

10. Nicole

February 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Wow! These are fantastic! I test drive these to make sure they would be good for a valentines teacher treat, and boy were they delicious! I will definitely be gift wrapping these for my sons teachers. My cookie cutter was a bit smaller so 18-20 minutes worked better for my scones as my first batch came out a little too hard. Also sprinkled a little sugar on the top just for that little extra sweetness over the egg glaze. Thanks Catherine!

11. Mal

February 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I want to make these for breakfast but don’t want to have to wake up so early to get them
    Made before school. Could I cut them out on a cookie sheet the night before and then bake them off in the morning or would they dry out over night? Thanks!

February 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

You can cut them out the night before, place them on a cookie sheet, cover with plastic, and store in the fridge. They may look a little grey-ish in the morning but that color will fade in the oven!

12. Jennifer

February 12, 2012 at 10:34 am

I made these with half white and half whole wheat pastry flour, and I used sucanat for the sugar. They are delicious and my son loves them. I did realize I need a smaller heart cutter though – they came out rather large for a 15 month old. My bad!

13. Amber

February 11, 2012 at 2:14 am

My dough came out super duper sticky also. I used regular white flour. This is my first time making scones, any idea what went wrong? I used extra flour and powdered sugar on my cutting board. I hope they come off my cookie sheet

• Amber

February 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

They came out great though, so it must have been okay.

14. Pingback: Sweet! Weelicious Recipes for Valentine’s Day |

15. Pingback: Sweet! Weelicious Recipes for Valentine’s Day | Celebrity Mess

16. Melissa

February 10, 2012 at 7:45 am

Delish! Wasn’r paying attention and added double the milk, so I doubled the recipe and my daughter is going to make her pre-school teachers little goodie bags for thier afternoon coffee! :) Thanks again Catherine, for another amazing recipe!!!

17. Adriana

February 8, 2012 at 12:25 am

I will definitely be baking these soon with my kids 

18. mary

February 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm

My dough came out really sticky, I used whole wheat pastry flour.

• Jennifer

February 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

I did half whole wheat pastry and half unbleached white and the dough was perfect.

19. Kathryn Clark

February 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Just a quick tip – I don’t have a pastry blender, so I always use a pizza cutter to get the same effect, and it works beautifully! I find it much easier than two knives – just roll it back and forth in the bowl. I’ll definitely be making these before Valentines day. Thanks, Catherine!

• grace c.

February 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm

great idea with the pizza cutter for the butter! i also learned from America’s Test Kitchen the trick of freezing the butter first then grating them with a box grater.

20. Heather@ Kids in the Sink

February 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Too cute! I’ve been looking for some cute treats to make for and with the kids for valentine’s day and we just recently discovered dried cherries as delicious. Will be making these!

21. Kim L

February 6, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Just made these and they turned out great. I used cherry infused, Ocean Spray, dried cranberries as I couldn’t find dried cherries, and 1% milk. YUM!

22. Rebecca

February 6, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Can you tell me what the asterisk is referring to? I see it next to the heavy cream but it doesn’t seem to be followed up by a note anywhere.

Thanks!

February 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

It refers to step 7. It is an optional step. Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for the question!

23. Lu

February 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Probably a silly question but is there a healthy (or semi-healthy) version of scones? e.g. using party whole wheat flour?

February 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

You could use half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour in these! They will be a different texture from the whole wheat flour, though.

• Jennifer

February 12, 2012 at 10:06 am

Did half all purpose and half whole wheat pastry and they were delicious

24. Tonia

February 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Wondering if i can use 1% milk??? Can only get 2 litres of the stuff here in newfoundland and no one drinks it.

February 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I know people use 2% milk in scones often. I’m not sure if going lower than that would be too watery and not thick enough. :(

25. Summer

February 6, 2012 at 11:57 am

What do you think about using dried apricots for this recipe? Would it come out as good?

February 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Definitely! I love dried apricots! Just make sure to chop them into smaller pieces.

26. Lindsay

February 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’d love to make these for V-day breakfast but our weekday mornings are so rushed. Which would be better — making the dough the night before and baking in the morning or baking the night before and warming in the morning?

February 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I would bake them the night before, let cool, store in an airtight container, reheat in the morning! :)

• Lindsay

February 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks, Catherine!

27. Julie

February 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

Curious to hear if anyone tries a dairy free version. Earth Balance is a good butter sub, but not sure if non-dairy milk would adequate replace whole milk??

February 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I have heard of people using almond milk in scones with great results, but have not tried it myself. Sorry I can’t give a better answer!

28. Anita

February 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

We made them using dried cranberries.. and after brushing them with the cream we put a teaspoon of sliced almonds on top. They came out delicious! My two year old is on his second one :) Thanks for another great recipe!

29. mary

February 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

Does it have to be whole milk?

February 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

You can use a lower-fat milk for this recipe. I just like the creaminess and heartiness whole milks brings to baked goods!

• Amy

February 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m wondering the same thing. I have 2% and also half & half on hand. Which should I use?

February 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm

2%!

• Tina S.

February 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

I make dried cherry chocolate chip scones with skim or reduced fat milk and they come out great (not this particular recipe, the kitchen tested one from King Arthur Flour). Between those two options, I would try the 2%.

30. Susan

February 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

Mmmm these do look really good. Wish I could get dried cherries here. Not the first time I’ve wished that….[sigh]. Have to think about what to substitute.

31. Anita

February 6, 2012 at 8:06 am

I want to make these this morning, but don’t have dried cherries.. could I use dried cranberries, or fresh strawberries? Thanks!

February 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Dries cranberries would work. I’m not sure about fresh berries because of the liquid content. Enjoy!

32. CCMom

February 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

I love scones. These lOok so tasty!