Banana Quinoa "Rice" Pudding

Banana Quinoa Rice Pudding

Do you ever find yourself going through phases where you will cook the same food over and over for weeks -- sometimes months -- on end? Well, that was me with quinoa. A few years back my husband went through a major quinoa eating phase which then rubbed off on our kids. I found myself steaming a pot of it every day and then tossing it with cherry tomatoes, olive oil, lemon and basil; mixing it with shrimp and avoacdo; or using it as the base for Quinoa Mexicana Salad.

Quinoa is a fantastic grain which is rich in protein, calcium and many other essential vitamins and minerals. The only down side for me whenever I make it for my kids is the mess I find under their chairs after dinner (this is my problem with rice too). I can spend a good 10 minutes sweeping those little grains up off the floor and still find more down there a week later.

Without banning quinoa from our dinner repertoire, I turned one of our favorite grains into a dish that tastes incredibly similar to rice pudding and is much more mess-proof. Light and creamy with a delightful coconut-banana flavor, this dish can be served after dinner for dessert, as an after school snack or even as a special breakfast treat.

You may find yourself making a lot more quinoa after trying this recipe, but you'll find a lot less of it on the kitchen floor and a lot more of it in your family's tummies!

Banana Quinoa Rice Pudding  (Serves 4-6)

• 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 14 oz can light coconut milk
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1. 1. Place the quinoa in a strainer and rinse with water.
  2. 2. Place quinoa, coconut milk and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  3. 3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes stirring continuously until thickened.
  4. 4. Pour into individual ramekins and chill for 1-2 hours.*
  6. * The pudding can also be served warm.
Banana Quinoa Rice Pudding

Comments

1. hlf25

August 15, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I added chia seeds to this. Delicious!

2. lrichards42

December 13, 2013 at 4:48 am

I ran out of quinoa and really want to make this in the morning. I have tons of rice though, will rice work? I’m guessing it will based on the recipe name, but what kind would be best? I have Jasmine, brown rice, white rice, and maybe a couple others. Love your website!

3. 14yroldcook

August 11, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I used 1-3/4 cup almond milk, 2/3 cup coconut milk, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 2 tsp vanilla extract. It is amazing! Seriously! I love eating this for breakfast with blueberries or strawberries. I love you website and I have made many recipes. Thanks weelicious!

4. china

August 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Hi, ive tried serval of your recipes and they’ve all been great! What kind of honey do you use?

5. Angie

July 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Made it with millet and 14 oz of soy milk instead of quinoa and regular milk. We have a milk allergy in the house and were out of quinoa. It tasted great!!

6. Chelsey

July 28, 2013 at 10:00 pm

How long will this keep in the fridge?

July 29, 2013 at 11:17 am

About 1 week!

7. Sheila Rossi

June 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Yummy! I had to stand over the pot and keep tasting it just to make sure it was ok….and it was… with every single bite!

I only had 1/2 banana in the house and it still imparted a delicious banana flavor. Thanks so much for this recipe!

8. Elizabeth Rabago

May 30, 2013 at 12:50 pm

We love this recipe! Its so yummy. I was wondering if maybe i could add chia seeds? And at what point could I add them?

May 31, 2013 at 10:37 am

Yes, I think chia seeds would be lovely in this! I would add after cooking and before chilling! Stir thoroughly!

9. Lynne

March 31, 2013 at 7:31 pm

This is such a fantastic dish – just the way it is! I make it for my two-and-a-half-year-old daughter and she loves it. A wonderful bedtime snack incorporating everything that helps promote sleep…

I greatly appreciate your website and all the time and effort you put into your recipes.

Thank you!

10. kellie

December 28, 2012 at 12:44 am

Is there anything I could do with this if I have way too many leftovers? I was thinking of using it in place of bananas for your banana muffins?? Or that might not work at all?

December 28, 2012 at 11:34 am

Hmmm that might be interesting!

11. DrKylanol

November 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I hate cooked bananas so I modified the recipe and it came out AWESOME:
    I used 3/4 cup raisins instead of 2 bananas, agave instead of honey, more cinnamon than listed (2ish tsp), 2 tsp of stevia & splash of vanilla extract.

12. Ana

August 1, 2012 at 7:54 am

I made this for someone with dietary restrictions (no dairy, no refined sugar or sweeteners); I replaced the milk and coconut milk with 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk, left out the honey and added in a handful of raisins and dried dates. It turned out delicious – maybe even a bit too sweet! Will cut down on the dates next time.

13. Reich

July 17, 2012 at 7:47 am

How many cups is 1 14 oz can of coconut?

July 17, 2012 at 11:16 am

1 2/3 cups! :)

14. Brenda

June 26, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Great for breakfast!!

15. Pingback: Milkshake Kids | Good Finds That Give Back | Kid-Tested, Mom-Approved Recipes « CaymanMoms

16. Lauren

March 16, 2012 at 1:29 pm

We made this recipe a few days ago! I really enjoyed it….my kids thought it was *okay*…..but I did let them add some colored sprinkles on top to give it some color (maybe not a healthy addition, but it was fun for the kids!)

17. tonia

March 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm

have been eating this all week. we are HUGE fans of rice pudding, me and the kids can eat it everyday if we could.
    found that Jasmine rice is our favorite to use until we tried Quinoa. I have had quinoa in the cupboard now for a little while and would only use it with beans and sauce.
    this tasted amazing with some raisins and a sprinkle of nutmeg :)

18. Melanie

March 7, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Just made this, am eating a bowl of the still-warm pudding right now. Garnished my bowlful with a few dried strawberries. Delicious!

19. Blythe

February 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I made this for my girls and it was a huge hit!!! I am always looking for new breakfast ideas. Any other quinoa breakfast combos that you come up with would be much appreciated.
    Thanks so much,
    Blythe

20. tara

February 28, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I substituted So Delicious Vanilla Coconut milk (the ones that comes in a box) and added a cinnamon stick and 2 cardamom pods while cooking. It came out delicious. I then added banana but actually prefer it without if I’m going to use the vanilla coconut milk, cinnamon stick and cardamom. But even with the banana its very good and creamy.

21. Amie

February 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m apparently having an equipment failure problem over, of all things, the straining step. None of my strainers have holes small enough that the Quinoa doesn’t fall through. I have the same issue with Orzo. Any suggestions?

22. Pingback: fav finds | week nineteen

23. chrissyjoy

February 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

made this for breakfast for myself and my 17m/o … we both loved it, and it was our first time trying quinoa. :))) delishhhh.

24. Nicole

February 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

Do you think you could make this with amaranth?

25. Peggi

February 17, 2012 at 6:55 am

Can you give me a non-nut substitute for the coconut milk? We have a tree nut allergy in our household and can’t use coconut.

• Whitney

March 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm

This comment is a year overdue, but in case you haven’t found out by now, coconut is in no way, shape or form a nut. Only people who have tested positive for a coconut allergy should avoid it (and it’s a very rare allergy). The tree-nut allergic among us (which includes my kiddos) are fine to consume it!

February 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The coconut milk adds body and flavor. You can use all regular milk if you prefer, I just love the flavor of coconut!

26. Kendall Bak

February 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

FYI, Native Forest Coconut Milk cans are BPA free. :)

27. Aprille

February 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm

What do u think of adding cardamom and ginger to this? I have been making a rice pudding in my slow cooker with these spices and saffron, although I think the saffron would not pair well.

February 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Those would be fabulous in this! I have been using a lot of cardamom recently, too!

28. Mya

February 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm

this is sooo good! I’m not that crazy about quinoa, this is the best way I’ve had it so far!

29. Melissa

February 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Could I substitute something else for the bananas? Any suggestions? I’m thinking pureed mango? My hubby simply won’t eat bananas!:( Or do you think it would work by just omitting them?

February 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

The banana adds so much flavor! You can omit it if you really don’t like banana, or substitute another mashed or pureed fruit!

• Melissa

February 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Maybe I’ll have to make it with the banana just for me then ;)

30. Julie

February 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

My son has two teeth and he’s able to handle a quinoa dish that I make that is very similar to this. The grains of quinoa are tiny and tender.

31. Brixie

February 16, 2012 at 10:19 am

I think this Let’s Do…Organic Creamed Coconut would be a good alternative when you’re trying to avoid BPA cans. I’m hoping to find it at my local health food store. If not, to amazon I go!

32. Lj

February 16, 2012 at 7:59 am

FYI this company has BPA cannned free coconut milk.I bought at whole foods …
    There are a few companies that have BPA free cans you just have to look in advance;)

33. Shirley

February 15, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Your recipe just says Milk for the milk part. What is the lowest fat content milk that you would be able to use so as to not lose the creaminess? Could you go as low as 1% MF?
    Thanks.

February 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I wouldn’t go lower than 2%!

34. Jane

February 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Do you think a 13 months old can eat it? I’m not sure about the texture of it my daughter only have 4 teeth.

35. MT

February 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Would vanilla soymilk be an ok substitute?

February 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm

A substitute for the regular milk? Yes! I like the coconut milk because it adds texture and creaminess.

36. kenya's friend

February 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

filled four ramekins and a not-so-small bowl. the ramekins are chilling in the ‘fridge and i’m chill in’ with the warm bowl of awesomeness, you genius.
    thanks!

37. Brianne

February 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I have been trying new things with quinoa, too, and this may have to be added to the repertoire.

38. Lorelei

February 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I’m curious about how to substitute the coconut milk as well. I have shaved coconut in the house, and two very ripe bananas, so I’d like to make this today. I might just try adding the coconut shavings and let you all know how it turns out.

February 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm

The coconut milk gives this recipe that extra boost of flavor and creaminess. You could use all regular milk, but it won’t come out quite as luscious. Although, coconut shavings would be a yummy addition!

39. charsiubau

February 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm

That looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I have never cooked quinoa before. I really have to try it. Quinoa is already put on my shopping list :)

40. Olivia

February 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Is there a way to do this and make it like “traditional” rice pudding?

41. heather

February 15, 2012 at 11:10 am

Can you post a link to the Quinoa Mexican Salad too? That also sounds wonderful.

42. Michele

February 15, 2012 at 10:18 am

Could I use the kind of coconut milk that comes in a carton in the dairy dept next to the soy/almond milks in place of the canned type? Not sure, but I think it may be quite different. I am trying to avoid cans due to BPA. If not, what would be a good sub for the coconut milk? Thanks.

• Joanna

August 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’m going to try this with almond milk (since that’s what I have on hand) and coconut oil (which is extremely healthy and has a wonderful coconut flavor). I’m hoping that will be a yummy substitution while avoiding the BPA in canned coconut milk!

February 15, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Rereading this I realized I think you’re talking about coconut creamer you find in the refrigerator case. I use it in my coffee everyday. It could be used as it’s similar in thickness to canned coconut milk, but know it has some cane sugar, unlike canned coconut milk which is unsweetened.

• a j

February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am

The So coconut milk can be bought unsweetened and it’s sugar free-it’s a bit different then the creamer. That’s what we drink instead of milk here. I thought that w/ some mixed coconut (or cook organic coconut, which isn’t sweetened) in some coconut milk would give it a good coconut flavor and the milk is kind of thick. if you strain it, it might be similar to coconut milk). I’m going to work on that one.

• Michele

February 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I didn’t mean the sweetened creamer, I meant the unsweetened conconut milk drink. I bought the one by “so delicious” and am trying it. I compared the ingredients to those of the canned cooking type coconut milk and they are similar, so it may just be that it is not as thick/intense as it is intended to be a beverage.

February 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I think that one is thinner and sweeter than the canned variety. I’m not sure as I have not tried it, but after some research online it seems that is the case.

• a j

February 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’ve already taken dried organic coconut and soaked it in water then strained it. it gives it a bit of flavor. maybe reducing dried coconut over heat and mixing it w/ coconut milk would be an option if you don’t mind the texture of shaved coconut in the dish. i’ve also made wee coconut sweet potatoes by doing the same thing. you could taste the coconut. it’s not ideal, but better then bpa which i avoid too.

• Michelle

February 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I was wondering the same about the canned coconut milk…but I don’t think there’s a way around it. :(

43. Gail

February 15, 2012 at 10:10 am

What can be substituted for coconut milk?

• Renee

February 18, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Yes I have the same question. What can be substituted for coconut milk? My son is allergic. Thanks!

44. Tina

February 15, 2012 at 8:57 am

I can’t wait to make this. I was sitting here wondering if I have coconut milk in the pantry so I can make it tonight.

45. Jolene (Homespun Heritage)

February 15, 2012 at 8:12 am

It calls for “Rice Bananas”…do you mean RIPE bananas?

• Robin

February 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm

‘Mistakes’ like that help remind me she’s a real person, a real mom, and doesn’t have a huge corporation packaging her into a genericized product. Thanks for all you share with us!

• Meg

February 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I too did a double take on that one, and agree that Catherine has rice on her mind. :-)
      We love you Catherine and the recipes you provide us with. Thanks for all your hard work.

• Tina

February 15, 2012 at 8:56 am

I did the same double take. I think Catherine had rice on the brain. ;)

• Joanna

February 15, 2012 at 8:55 am

I was wondering the same thing! What are rice bananas???

46. Lj

February 15, 2012 at 8:06 am

Also can you add a Pinterest tab so we can pin?

• Rene

February 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

You can pin this with your own “pin it” tab on your tool bar.

47. Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama

February 15, 2012 at 8:05 am

Yum! I would definitely eat this warm. Sounds delicious.

48. Lj

February 15, 2012 at 8:04 am

Can you sustitute almond milk for milk? Thanks, sounds yummy!!

February 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Yes! You can use almond milk!

• Lj

February 15, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I used vanilla almond and agave(what I had in house) very yummy! I drizzled a little light agave over it before serving!