Yukon Gold Potato Fans

Wayyyyyy back in my vegetarian days, I was a major potato fanatic. I'm not talking a potato or two a week, I'm talking one, sometimes two, a day. It was a carb-tastic time of my life when a good spud could get me as excited as a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Well, almost as excited.

Being the potato aficionado that I am, I present you with one of my favorite tuber recipes, Potato Fans spotlighting the gorgeous Yukon Gold potato. Yukon Golds have a creamy texture which produce superior mashed potatoes. Not wanting to disparage my old friend, the Russet, you can totally substitute them in this recipe. They'll be equally tender inside and crunchy outside.

These potato fans are a fun change of pace from the regular baked potatoes we're used to see sitting next our steaks, are just as easy to prepare, and a great way to fill your family's bellies, especially when you're on a budget!

Check out this Friday's video, which shows you just how simple they are to prepare!

Yukon Gold Potato Fans  (Serves 4)

• Cook Time: 1 hrs, 15 mins,

• 4 medium yukon gold potatoes (russet potatoes will also work)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 475° F.
  2. 2. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each potato so they lay flat.
  3. 3. Using a knife make about 20 slices ( ¼-inch deep) lengthwise from end-to-end across the tops of the potatoes, making sure not to cut all the way through. Leave about a half an inch on the bottom of the potato un-cut.
  4. 4. Mix the butter and oil in a bowl.
  5. 5. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, brush with half of the olive oil/ butter mixture, sprinkle with salt and bake for 30 minutes.
  6. 6. Brush the potatoes with the remaining oil/butter mixture and cook for an additional 45 minutes or until skin is golden and serve.

Accompaniments: Optional Seasoning Ideas: herb mixtures like parsley, thyme & oregano; a southwestern blend of cumin, oregano, and chili powder; or even nutritional yeast

Yukon Gold Potato Fans

Comments

1. Miyu

July 27, 2014 at 12:48 am

That looks delicious!
    I made it and it was delicious!

2. Lee Barker

July 22, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hi I have a time saving tip for cutting the spuds , cut bottom as you did to allow to sit flat then use a very shallow dish such as the bottom of a butter dish that only allows you to cut down so far ,you can slice it quickly without cutting all the way through. My butter dish bottoms are about a quarter of an inch deep so there is no way to cut right down when the knife hits both sides.

3. Kalle

June 24, 2014 at 2:41 am

in Sweden named this potato dish Hasselback potatoes, it’s an old recipe. http://www.recepten.se/recept/hasselbackspotatis.html

4. Pingback: 10 Potato Picks — Comfort Food Feast | SHEKNOWSLATINO

5. Pingback: Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie |

6. Pingback: Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Breakfast Casserole Recipe - Jeanette's Healthy Living

7. Pingback: Truffled Poached Egg, Asparagus & Truffle Vinaigrette, Black Truffle & Potato Stack • Taste With The Eyes • where the image is meant to titillate and inspire the cook

8. Isabella

January 5, 2014 at 4:34 pm

The fan potato on this page looks good. The one on the video looks over cooked and not like something I would eat. Also who wants to cook a potato that long.

9. JohnO

October 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Just a technique suggestion:
    Take two wooden spoons or take out chopsticks (We always have many of these as I use them for everything)
    Lay the parallel to one another and place the potato between.
    Now slice… You will never cut all the way through accidentally.
    A nice trick for those of us with less than cheffy knife skills.

10. Rhea Nunoo

October 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I want yo join the mailing list. good ideas

11. Nevila

August 31, 2012 at 3:43 am

I just joined this page , and I’m so happy because I can find very interesting menus for my kids ( that eat everything) and for me too.
    Thanks for your ideas

12. catherine

May 29, 2012 at 11:15 am

45 minutes! I have not used an enclosed stone baker. Let me know how that works out!

13. Kathy

May 28, 2012 at 10:12 am

Is the additional baking time really 45 minutes or is it 4-5? Want to plan when to start these. Also, have you ever baked them closed up in a stone baker?

14. Kathleen Richardson

May 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’ve pinned your wonderful idea. Also, since the air was cool this morning, I turned on the oven and baked one russet fan and one yam fan, with butter, S&P, parsley Delicious! I’d like to feature this recipe on my blog, giving you full credit and a link.

15. Philippa

March 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I’d love to try this with sweet potatoes – would the same temp and timing apply?

March 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm

16. Pingback: Meal Plan for March 5-11 « the.new.us.

17. Pingback: {yeast treatment|candida yeast treatment|yeast infection treatment at home|yeast infection treatment|yeast rash treatment|vaginal yeast treatment|male yeast infection treatment|yeast infection treatments|best yeast infection treatment|yeast infections tre

18. Beckie W

March 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Made these tonight using russets for the fam & it was a huge hit! My one year old can manage it himself and my 6 yr old asked me to buy more potatoes and make this over and over again! <3

19. Anna

March 2, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Wow, those look great. Excellent idea.

20. Kassy

February 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I made these last night. I used red skinned potatoes instead and we cooked them on the BBQ… IT was sooooo good!! I had them in my toaster oven, and my husband was cooking pork chops on the BBQ and the potatoes were taking too long.. sooo i took the pan out of the the toaster oven and transfer it to the BBQ! I will make these again, but use the BBQ the whole time!

• Wiratno

February 4, 2014 at 12:43 am

Saw these on Pinterest and made them for dinner tignoht we loved them. I left the cayenne out because I wanted the kids to eat them, but they didn’t anyway so next time I’ll definitely add it. Mashing worked great with a glass bowl, and I just slid to the side a little and the bowl unstuck from the sweet potato. Thanks for a great recipe!

21. Jules

February 26, 2012 at 9:31 am

When I first saw the title of the recipe, I thought to myself “Yes, I’m a fan of Potatoes!” lol…

22. Evelyn

February 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Great recipe, I will try this tonight. I’m sure my family will enjoy it. Thank you.

23. mebrr

February 24, 2012 at 7:58 am

Is it truely horrible that every time I see these fans I think about the joy I would get from placing a dab of butter between each slice? In reality, I think they are yummy looking and I will have to make them!

24. Jennifer

February 23, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Made these last night, and they were a HUGE hit! The boys thought they were fun. Even my husband, who is not a bug starch eater, enjoyed the crunchy and salty skins. We added sour cream and shredded cheddar on top, which was extra yummy. :-)

25. Lynn

February 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm

These are weeelish! And sometimes I put thin slices of onion in between the potato fans.

26. charsiubau

February 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Yum, hasselback potatoes. Did not make them for a long time. I hane to get some nice potatoes :)

27. grace c.

February 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm

if you love potatoes, have you seen this food truck? http://mytornadopotato.com/ your potato fans reminded of it… :)

28. Debbie

February 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

LOVE Yukon much better than russet….

this is a neat way to try potatoes :) i shall give it a try

29. Nikki

February 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Oh and I recently read a tip on how to cut these potatoes, though I have never tried it – put the potato in a wooden spoon and then cut, the edge of the spoon stops the knife from going all the way through.

30. Nikki

February 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I LOOOVEEE potatoes! Haha I will never be on board with the idea that they aren’t good for you! In a pinch I will microwave small potatoes add a dab of butter and salt… yummmm Yukons are my favorite of all, gotta try this :)

31. yeni

February 22, 2012 at 9:20 am

These are super yummy! Sadly my boy won’t touch these, or any potato. He’s gotten a sudden aversion to anything that looks like produce. :)

32. emsma

February 22, 2012 at 7:56 am

An easy way to prevent yourself from cutting all the way through the potato is to lay two chopsticks down.