Chocolate Graham Crackers

Lately it's been quite rainy where I live. In southern California terms a lot of rain means once or twice a month at most, so whenever the skies here turn grey I rejoice. These are the days when our family hunkers down by the fireplace to play board games, read piles of books and, of course, make s'mores. Hubby and I have done this with Kenya and Chloe a few times in the past couple of months alone and now, whenever the kids see so much as a drop of water falling from the sky they're pulling out the now not-so-hidden bag of marshmallows from the pantry. I always keep the other ingredients -- graham crackers and Nutella (by the way, if you've never tried this chocolate hazelnut spread to make s'mores in place of a bar of chocolate, the time to start is now) -- close by.

So there we were last month, sitting by the fire, gently toasting our marshmallows when Chloe said, "I wish I had a chocolate graham cracker". You can't feel too bad for a 3 year-old fantasizing about a chocolate graham cracker while she's got a mouth full of s'mores, but her idea really got me thinking. The next day I went straight to the kitchen and came up with Chloe's dream cookie. It's mainly a graham cracker but packs a bang of chocolate in each bite making them unbelievably delicious and the ultimate kid treat!

Chocolate Graham Crackers  (makes 14 dozen - 28 servings)

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup butter, chilled & cubed
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup water

1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. 2. In a food processor or mixer combine the first 7 ingredients.
  3. 3. Add butter to the mix and pulse/mix until it resembles coarse meal.
  4. 4. Add honey and water and continue to mix until it all combines.
  5. 5. Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
  6. 6. Roll dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut into crackers or shapes with cookie cutters.*
  7. 7. Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
  8. 8. Cool and serve.
  9. * To Freeze: After step 6, place cut-out cookie shapes on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes. Remove, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 4 months. When ready to bake, follow steps 7-8, adding an additional 1-2 minutes baking time.
Chocolate Graham Crackers

Comments

1. Pingback: Dinosaur Birthday Party - Love to be in the Kitchen

2. Andrea

April 17, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Hi Catherine, I’ve made your other graham cracker recipe and they were a hit so I wanted to try these out. I used raw honey, but noticed the dough was really crumbly. I’ve never used a solid form of honey before so Im not sure if I need to melt it before I use it to bake with like I would coconut oil?

3. Kate

December 4, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Darling shapes! Will begin searching for that cutter :)

4. Olga

November 1, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Many thanks for the great recipe. With dutch-processed cocoa it made a good Halloween cookie house: http://s019.radikal.ru/i615/1311/78/a82a8c9e2bec.jpg

5. Theresa @ Two Much Fun

October 28, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Catherine these WERE fantastic! Chocolatey, delicious and not too sweet. My 3 1/2 year olds and I made them together. It is a perfect kids-in-the-kitchen recipe. Easy to follow, a simple list of ingredients and quick to put together. Thank you so much.- again.

6. Zeena

October 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hi Catherine,
    Is it possible to use honey or maple syrup in these instead of brown sugar? Is yes, what would be the measurements? Thank you in advance oh and love you recipes and videos they are so great!

7. Mary

September 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

Just made these with my 3yr old and she had fun! I will have to wok on the thickness, first batch was super thick and the last to thin. Wilson has a great set of 12 small fall/halloween cookie cutters out that is perfect for the season. I got it from micheals for 7.00 CND. Witches hats, tombstones etc. Just waiting for them to cool and then they are ready for snack time. Thanks for the recipie!

8. nicole

August 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Can these and the regular graham crackers be made with all whole wheat flour or can pastry flour be used in place of the AP flour? We don’t have any AP flour. Thanks

August 27, 2013 at 1:09 am

Yes! They will come out a bit more dense.

9. Melissa French

June 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I have linked to this post here: Frugal Road Trip with Kids – Food and Snacks http://www.morewithlessmom.com/index.php/2013/06/03/frugal-road-trip-with-kids-food-and-snacks/

10. Pingback: Frugal Road Trip with Kids – Food and Snacks | More With Less Mom

11. Kelli

March 26, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I am just curious, how do we find the nutritional info on this yummy snack?

March 27, 2013 at 11:20 am

We don’t currently offer nutritional information, but are working on that! There are many free resources available to calculate nutritional information, like SparkPeople and My Fitness Pal!

12. Pingback: Menu Plan: March 25 | Just a Mama's Stories

13. Brooke

March 22, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I’m going to make these in egg shape and was thinking I’d sprinkle colored sugar on them. Should I sprinkle the sugar on before baking?

March 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Yes, sprinkle before baking!

14. Pingback: Pinterest: Faves | Just a Mama's Stories

15. Pingback: School Districts, IEPs, Stress, & Peanut Butter Toast | sensoryadventures

16. Elaine U

February 8, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Made these for the first time yesterday. Simple recipe but too sweet. Next time I’ll be cutting back on the amount of brown sugar.

17. Susie

January 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I am going to try these, but I’m going to try replacing the butter with shortening. We are getting rid of the dairy for our son. Has anyone else tried replacing the butter? If so, any comments or recommendations? I’ll report back once i have made them.

• Elizabeth

April 23, 2013 at 1:59 pm

We have dairy allergies in our house and I have found that Earth’s Balance Buttery Spread works amazing as a butter substitute. Most people can’t even tell!

January 28, 2013 at 1:09 am

You can swap shortening for butter at a 1:1 ratio!

18. Meredith

November 22, 2012 at 4:57 am

Mine are in the oven right now – I needed a dab more water it seemed and had to make the dark brown sugar since they don’t have that at stores in Austria and they smell delish. Love your website and all of your lovely and healthy ideas!

19. rachael

November 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

My son is 9 months old. Should I substitute the honey for something else since you are not supposed to give honey until after age 1? Wonder if applesause would work…

20. Ashley

September 18, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Great recipe! I made these for my kiddos, ages 3 and 8 months, but found that I can’t stop eating them! Haha they turned out a little too tasty… If that’s possible ;) o I also added about a tablespoon molasses because all I had was light brown sugar, Which kept the rich flavor

21. Mira

August 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm

question….if I wanted to replace any of the flour with either coconut flour or almond meal, do you think I would get the same dough consistency? Do you have any rules of thumb to follow for flour substitution? Thank you!!!

22. Louise

July 27, 2012 at 4:57 am

This is a great recipe! So rich and tasty.
    I made them and everyone enjoyed them!

23. Angela

April 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

These are great! My 20 month old DD had fun making these with me. I rolled the dough out in 2 batches: 1/4″ and 1/2″ the thin crackers are identical to graham crackers but I prefer the thicker cracker :) thanks for the great recipe!

24. Pingback: Chocolate grahams « Em-i-lis

25. Dee

April 18, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Cannot wait to try this recipe! You rock!

26. Teice

April 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

These just came out of the oven! Love these and your regular graham crackers. And I do make them without a food processor I just use my pastry cutter to mix it up and knead some with my hands.

27. Kari

April 13, 2012 at 11:59 am

will this work if i dont have a food processor or mixer? Can I just do it by hand?

April 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm

You can do it by hand! Cut in the butter using two knives, a pastry blender, or your fingers. Follow the directions as they’re written. :)

28. Maria

April 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Are these crunchy?

April 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm

That actually depends on how thin you roll them! If you roll to 1/4 inch thick like I do they will be very close to the consistency of a store-bought graham cracker. Not crispy like a chip, but not soft like a cookie – somewhere in between! If you like a softer graham cracker just roll your dough a little thicker!

29. Aimee (I Tri To Be Me)

April 11, 2012 at 9:23 pm

These look so yummy! I am making them tomorrow! BUT, do you know how long they will last? Do you have to store them in the fridge? Thanks!

April 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I store them in an airtight container on the counter and they last about a week and a half!

30. cocovolleyball

April 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm

How about using graham flour instead of the ones you used?

April 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm

If you can find it Graham Flour would be great in these!

31. Beckie W

April 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm

What will happen if you use light brown sugar or even turbinado as sub for the dark brown sugar? Will it alter the cracker much?
    Thanks in advance!

April 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

Light brown sugar will work just as well as dark (just a slightly different flavor)! Turbinado sugar might be too dry to use in these, but it is worth a shot!

32. Sara

April 10, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Can you use all wheat flour? (instead of one cup white, one cup wheat)?

April 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

You can use all whole wheat flour, but it will change the consistency of the graham crackers!

• Sevda

February 4, 2014 at 9:53 pm

He said it was salsa Dan :) I have to agree with Heather to be honest. I was biingng for around 3 years from the time that I found 811 to the time I decided to stop it completely. ( I would do it 100% for a 6 months, then not feel well then go back to eating SAD, then trying 811 again, ext). I had this mentality where if I wasn’t 811 then I might as well be eating SAD Of course, it put a lot of strain on my life. I had to take a year off school, I lost a bunch of friends because I stopped hanging out with them because I was fixated with getting the diet right, I became sedentary, ext ext. Like I said, I am wayy better now and do not binge anymore, and my relationship with food is getting better and better. I think you can avoid what happened to me by seeking help professional ASAP.

33. Jillian

April 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Can you sub the wheat and all purpose flour with boxed gluten free flour?

April 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Yes you can! The texture may be different with the gluten-free flour, though.

34. angie

April 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thank you for so many great recipes. I have tried so many and all of them have been wonderful. Thank you for helping my family eat better.

35. stella

April 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Catherine,
    you always have the sweetest little cookie cutters- where do you procure them? I love these little flowers.

• Krissy

April 10, 2012 at 7:17 am

Stella, If there are any outlet centers with cooking type stores near you, I would suggest looking there too! I have found some of the cutest coookie cutters, and little pie plates….and custard cups…and oh boy I could go nuts in those stores. LOL but its worth a look if you have one near you!!

• stella

April 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Oops! :) Found them in the weelicious amazon store

36. Rachel

April 9, 2012 at 7:15 pm

1/4 in seemed to thick for my regular graham crackers. We are loving them none the less and will definitely be trying this one in the relatively near future!

37. Lindz

April 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Love this recipe! Is there a way to use agave or honey instead of brown sugar? If so, how much?

38. Jen

April 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Toddler-approved! My two-year old gobbled these up! Thank you for your fun and easy recipes!

39. Tonia

April 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Been patiently waiting for this recipe. Going to make them tonight :)))

40. Brandy

April 9, 2012 at 10:17 am

thank you! I have been waiting for this recipe since I saw it on facebook.

41. Sharon

April 9, 2012 at 8:21 am

Excited to try this one – thanks!