Lately it’s been quite rainy where I live. In southern California terms a lot of rain means once or twice a month at most, so whenever the skies here turn grey I rejoice. These are the days when our family hunkers down by the fireplace to play board games, read piles of books and, of course, make s’mores. Hubby and I have done this with Kenya and Chloe a few times in the past couple of months alone and now, whenever the kids see so much as a drop of water falling from the sky they’re pulling out the now not-so-hidden bag of marshmallows from the pantry. I always keep the other ingredients — graham crackers and Nutella (by the way, if you’ve never tried this chocolate hazelnut spread to make s’mores in place of a bar of chocolate, the time to start is now) — close by.
So there we were last month, sitting by the fire, gently toasting our marshmallows when Chloe said, “I wish I had a chocolate graham cracker”. You can’t feel too bad for a 3 year-old fantasizing about a chocolate graham cracker while she’s got a mouth full of s’mores, but her idea really got me thinking. The next day I went straight to the kitchen and came up with Chloe’s dream cookie. It’s mainly a graham cracker but packs a bang of chocolate in each bite making them unbelievably delicious and the ultimate kid treat!
Photo by Maren Caruso
Chocolate Graham Crackers
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled & cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor or mixer combine the first 7 ingredients.
- Add butter to the mix and pulse/mix until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add honey and water and continue to mix until it all combines.
- Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Roll dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut into crackers or shapes with cookie cutters.*
- Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and serve.