Pear Apple Butter

This is one of the first purees that I made for the kids when they were babies and they both always ate it with sheer delight. Funnily enough, they still love it now. Why buy pre-packaged apple sauce at the grocery when you can quickly make this naturally sweet and healthy version.

The pear and cinnamon make this more than just a puree. Whether you serve it for breakfast, in school lunch or even as a quick snack, this Pear Apple Butter is a good one no matter what your age!

Pear Apple Butter  (6)

• 1 gala, pink lady, or fuji apple, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 ripe d’anjou or red pear, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes *
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. 1. Place apple in steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 3 minutes.
  2. 2. Place apples, pears and cinnamon in food processor and puree until smooth.
  4. * If pears are firm/hard, you can steam them for 3 minutes with the apples
Pear Apple Butter

Comments

1. Pingback: 27の簡単なDIYベビーフード | 美味い飯特集!世界の美味い飯!

2. Pingback: 27 Easy DIY Baby Foods | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

3. allisongrace87

May 2, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Can’t wait to try this with our Bountiful Baskets apples and pears!

4. Nikki

February 19, 2013 at 3:29 am

I gave this to my 7-month old baby and the first time he tasted it, he didn’t like it all that much! Haha! He’s used to the sweeter taste of mangoes and sweet potatoes so this must have been a surprise for him. But I persisted and gave it again to him the next day…and he ate it without any problem. :) It’s really true that we shouldn’t give up on giving a food to our baby just because he/she didn’t like it the first time. I’m glad I made him taste it again so now he’s learning to eat food with different flavors. I’m a happy mommy. :) Thanks, Catherine!

5. Katie

September 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I wish the recipes on the website said at what age you can start to introduce them. This one seems like it would be fine quite young, but I have questions about the others. Just a suggestion.

6. Cate

April 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I have a Vitamix which I’ve found eliminates the need for steaming the apples (it liquifies anything). Is that safe for a baby or is steaming necessary.

April 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

That should be fine! I add the steaming step to soften the apple to be able to get it to a good and smooth consistency for Baby. Raw is usually better nutritionally, anyway!

7. Michel lough

April 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

I am new to the baby food making world and I’m wondering how I would store and freeze this and other baby foods. Or how long it would last in the fridge. I have a baby bullet and want to make food in big batches to last me the whole week. Thanks!

• Krissy

April 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

Freezer idea….ice cube tray. I can’t tell you how handy that can be. Just scoop sauces/purees into the tray, freeze, pop out and put in baggie! I wouldn’t freeze most foods for more than 2-3 months. In the fridge, foods last for 3-5 days, depending on what kind of food it is, and whats mixed in. Glad also makes those little 1/2 cup disposable tupperware that work great from the freezer to the microwave (or pop out and put in a sauce pan to heat) and are just about the size of a normal baby food jar so perfect. Otherwise, if you want to get into canning…thats a great way to make up a bunch of things like fruit sauces, or other veggies.

8. Allie

April 17, 2012 at 7:08 am

Yummy recipe! Used it as a “side dish” for dinner (with roasted carrot coins & sweet potato fries) and my boys (3yrs, 20 months) loved it! Thank you!

9. Gretchen Randall

April 16, 2012 at 1:29 pm

HI Catherine,

What if you do not have a steamer pot. What is an alternative to cook the apple?
    Thanks
    Gretchen

• Krissy

April 16, 2012 at 4:22 pm

If you don’t have a steamer a metal colander works in a pinch very nicely. As long as there’s space between the colander and the water, you’re fine. A disposable metal pan or a oven safe glass plate on some tinfoil you have rolled into a coil could also do the trick.

April 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm

You should go out and get a little steamer basket insert. They are only a few dollars and are a great investment for baby food! Alternatively, you can put the tiniest amount of water in the bottom of a pot and boil/steam the apples in that, with a lid on it.

10. Karen

April 16, 2012 at 8:40 am

Hi Catherine – no need to steam the pear? Thanks!

April 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

I just added a step to steam the pears if they’re hard. I like to use ripe pears for this butter whenever possible, but it totally works to steam firm pears first.