Seriously? An ice cream cone filled with light vanilla cake and topped with frosting? I can think of few things that would make a kid more happy than this treat. It's like if two members of dessert royalty got married and had babies -- the result would be these Vanilla Cupcakes in a Cone. My kids lost their minds when they got to make them with me. Where, you may ask, did this ingenious idea (which I wish I had thought of) come from?
Recently I got a copy of the new Handstand Kids cookbook, Baking Around the World, and told Kenya and Chloe that they could pick out any recipe they wanted for us to bake together. They were over the moon. Both of my kids are huge fans of the Handstand Kids and so we poured through the book together looking for a recipe while the kids talked about their favorite HK characters and looked at the cute illustrations of them throughout the book. I was getting excited myself, reading recipe names like Indian Biscuits, Raspberry Rugelach Twists, Traditional Mexican Chocolate Cake and Red Velvet Beet Cupcakes (my own little contribution to the book!) which all sounded good to the kids, but when I suggested Vanilla Cupcakes in a Cone, they were sold.
Even better, this recipe is so simple that Kenya and Chloe were able to do everything short of putting them in and pulling them out of the oven. When the cupcake cones were cooled and frosted we had a little birthday party celebration for our friend, Nilva. You should have seen the smiles on their faces and total empowerment they experienced carrying the cones with candles over to her while recounting how they had made them on their own.
Lucky for you, Handstand Kids author Yvette Garfield is offering FIVE weelicious readers the chance to win Baking Around the World. To enter just leave a comment below telling me what your favorite thing to bake is. Winners will be chosen at random and announced here next week. Good luck!
This contest is now closed
Congratulations to the winners!
Recipe From Handstand Kids Baking Around The World
Vanilla Cupcakes in a Cone and Cookbook Giveaway! (12)
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 12 ice cream cones with flat bottoms (also known as cake cones)
- Butter Cream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In the bowl of a standing mixer, or using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla mixing to combine.
5. Slowly add half of the flour mixture and then some of the milk and apple sauce until just combined. Then add the remaining flour, milk and apple sauce, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat until just combined.
6. Pour the batter into the ice cream cones, filling them just to the top of the cone. Place on a baking sheet and carefully place in the oven.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
8. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
Butter Cream Frosting - Makes about 1 cup
1. Place the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
2. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat for 1 minute, or until frosting is smooth and creamy.
3. Spread the frosting on the cupcakes, decorate, and serve.